ID:70067

Keywords: editor, free, gold, pro, wave
THIS IS EXPIRED. SORRY, YOU MISSED IT.

Gold Wave Editor Pro is free only for today at Giveaway of the Day.

"Gold Wave Editor Pro is an ideal solution for audio editing and mastering. The program contains everything you need to create great sounding recordings and audio CDs, including professional tools for recording, analysis and editing. The Gold Wave Editor Pro user interface was designed with speed, accuracy and ease of use in mind."

Features:
  • Included all the great features of Gold Wave Editor - and much more - with Gold Wave Editor Pro!
  • Tools include Audio File Merger. Easy-to-use tool to merge audio files in one large file.
  • Tools include Audio CD Ripper. Copies music tracks from audio CD's and saves them as Ogg Vorbis, WAV and MP3 files. Free CDDB Supported.
  • Tools include Audio CD Burner/Eraser. Create audio CDs from MP3 collection or WAV files.
  • Change WMA metadata/WMA tags. Simple-to-use tag editor that allows you to change tagged information about your WMA music files.
  • More professional. Gold Wave Editor Pro is designed to be a very easy and intuitive to use audio editing package. Within minutes you will be able to open or record a file and edit it. But if you take time to explore the other features you will find many powerful tools designed with the professional sound engineer in mind.

I mention this because I've been using a demo of Gold Wave for years to work with sound effects. I'm sure there are better sound tools out there, but if you don't have anything else, this is a great tool to use (especially for free!).

I'd also like to mention that if you install it today, you can reinstall it any time in the future by downloading the standard Gold Wave Editor Pro installation files, installing those, then copying the Gold Wave Editor Pro directory from the Giveaway of the Day install on top of it. Finally, use the registration keys provided by GotD to register it again.
Please note that the software you download and install during the Giveaway period comes with the following important limitations:
  • No free technical support
  • No free upgrades to future versions
  • Strictly non-commercial usage
The server at www.giveawayoftheday.com is taking too long to respond.

:(

Thanks for making this known, though. I'll keep trying throughout the day, because I'd like to work on some nice little sound effects.
It also comes with a cool text-to-speech feature!
Zaole wrote:
The server at www.giveawayoftheday.com is taking too long to respond.

Check back in a few minutes, its just temporary.
Giveaway of the day is working fine now.
Thanks Foomer!
What's the difference between this and Audacity?
Beats me, I've never used Audacity. Try it and find out, then you can tell us.
I think I still prefer Audacity, but the text-to-speech and WMA conversions could come in handy. I'm a bit disturbed by what the heck "strictly non-commercial usage" means though. I hope they mean their tool rather than anything created with it.

@SuperAntx: GWEP has a different interface, CD ripping tools, text-to-speech, built-in MP3 and WMA options, and seems to have less effects.
Woot. I appreciate being informed of this giveaway, never would've found out myself. Well, I had 8 hours remaining still when I downloaded the file, so it wasn't really as close of a call to miss the opportunity as I might have expected.

Even though my computer is a piece of shit that doesn't support sound for some mysterious reason, I'm still picking up a copy of this. Who knows, it might come in handy someday.
There seems to be another important difference between Gold Wave Editor Pro and Audacity. Perhaps I missed an option, but GWEP appears to only allow a single track at a time.
I remember trying this a really long time ago before barely anyone knew about Audacity and it was just another program on the block. Audacity seemed more friendlier for some reason.
I used to use Goldwave quite a lot back in the 16-bit days, since its expresion evaluator is probably one of the most powerful tools ever put into an audio editor. I find the free version somewhat useful for my editing needs now, to the point where it's usually my first choice as an editor, but I've never found anything in it that would compell me to upgrade to the pay version. For effects like flanging and phasing, I've found the program (at least the versions I've used--I don't know if newer ones avoid this) suffers from menu hell. That is, if you want to try an effect you have to go through the tedious menu process to get to it, then enter settings and hope you guessed right. Most sound editors suffer from this, lacking the kind of convenient "live knob" kind of interface a real sound designer would have access to on a mixing board.