ID:71356

Keywords: editor, free, pad, sound, wave, wavepad
Another tool that I just learned about recently for "professional audio editing" is the WavePad Sound Editor. It comes in two versions, the free version, which I'm sharing here, and the Masters version, which has a few extra features. I haven't used the software much yet, but it seems to support a lot of the same features as Gold Wave Editor Pro (posted previously, but not free), including text-to-speed functions. Don't know how it compares with Audacity, so if you're familiar with these kinds of programs you can leave a comment on how they compare.

From here out, I'll just quote what the web sites says about WavePad and its list of features.

This sound editing software is a full featured professional audio editor for Windows, Mac OS X or Pocket PC. It lets you record, make and edit music, voice and other audio recordings. When editing audio files you can cut, copy and paste parts of recordings and, if required, add effects like echo, amplification and noise reduction. WavePad works as a wav editor or mp3 editor but it also supports a number of other file formats including vox, gsm, real audio, au, aif, flac, ogg and more.

We make this program free with the hope you will like it so much you will be tempted to upgrade to WavePad Master's Edition. The Master's Edition has additional effects and features and is a comprehensive audio editing software application for serious sound engineers.

Features:
  • Sound editing functions include cut, copy, paste, delete, insert, silence, autotrim and more.
  • Audio effects include, amplify, normalize, equaliser, envelope, reverb, echo, reverse, sample rate conversion and more.
  • Full featured Mp3 editing software support.
  • Supports a number of other file formats including wav (multiple codecs) vox, gsm, real audio, au, aif, flac, ogg and many more.
  • Batch processing supports up to 32000 files allowing you to apply effects and/or convert your files as a single function.
  • Tools include spectral analysis (FFT) and speech synthesis (text-to-speech).
  • Recorder supports autotrim and voice activated recording and more.
  • Audio restoration features including noise reduction and click pop removal.
  • Supports sample rates from 6000 to 96000Hz, stereo or mono, 8, 16, 24 or 32 bits.
  • Includes its own CD ripper with 'ultrafast 'rip mode and cddb music database lookup.
  • Works directly with MixPad multi-track audio mixing software.
  • Links directly to the Express Burn CD Recorder to burn your sound files to CD.
  • Edit tracks for the Zulu DJ software.
  • Easy to use interface will get you started editing in just minutes.
I looked at that when it was up, it didn't appeal to me :(
My experiences with Wavepad have been mixed. Much of the program's functionality is limited so that you only have access to it in the pay version, including some tasks that are kind of important. Overall it's possible to work around that limitation for the most part when doing regular editing, but the editor itself I've found to be merely adequate. (It is however way better than Audacity, which contrary to its fans' assertions completely sucks on toast. Audacity is the GIMP for audio, and I do mean that in a bad way.)

One of the most useful features about Wavepad is also its worst: its ability to use DirectX plugins to produce special effects. The whole thing is based on a series of modal dialogs, so you have to go through a few menu commands to get to this feature, then select the filter you want, then enter the settings you want to try and hope they work out. If they don't, you have to undo your changes and then try the whole arduous process again. This is not what I would call professional interface design.