ID:7156

My mom came into my room today, and said "I need to talk to someone".

Oh boy. I knew EXACTLY what was going to be brought up.

In a nutshell, my mom thinks we might have to move out of Ireland and back to Maryland...into my father's house. Now, I'm on good terms with my dad and all. The thing is, my mom's the one who divorced him. We moved to Ireland for several reasons.

1) My mom was going insane livin with my dad.
2) The weather was good for my youngest sister (Yes, we moved to Ireland for the WEATHER).
3) We'd be moving close to a good college, so that I'd be able to walk to it and back.
4) Anything we needed (groceries, etc.) would be a short bus trip's distance.
5) My mom kinda got into an online relationship which turned into her "safe haven".

So on August 1st, we boarded a plane and the intent was to not look back.

Unfortunately, my mom has been unable to get a job because of immigration problems. In order to stay in Ireland, she has to either have a job or be enrolled in college...and that costs money.

Funds are already dwindling, which wouldn't have been a problem if my mom could have found a job. At best, she wouldn't be able to get one until we've been in the country for a year (AUGUST!).

She's admitted to me that she's not doing well in college and doesn't know if she'd even be able to use it to find a job, assuming we could hold out that long. We most likely can't.

So she asked me for my thoughts about possibly moving back into my dad's house. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. I certainly don't hate my dad at all and I know he doesn't hate me (I'm the only sibling who doesn't have to be forced to keep in contact) and personally I LOATHE being 5 hours ahead of just about everybody I know.

...I can't very well tell my mom that last reason though, as it'd be a stupid and selfish thing to mention. Ialmost said it...but I made the mistake of glancing over to my computer, and I know she saw that. So I still screwed up. Instead, I told her that I wouldn't have a problem either way and while I was initially very scared of moving to a new country, I eventually got over it (and that's the truth). Should I move back, I wouldn't be as nervous about going to college as I was in the past and honestly I've gotten closer to my dad in the months I've emailed/phoned him than the 21 years I've lived in the house.

The biggest thing that's bothering her is the fact that she uprooted my two sisters and me to try giving us a better life, and she thinks/knows that in the process, it kinda messed with us a bit. She knows it's not fair to my father that at best, he'd only see us 2 weeks out of the year and that we deserve to spend more time with him, regardless of my parents' marital status.

The thing is...my mom and dad are divorced and all, and she's hoping that my dad will find it in his heart to allow my mom to live in the basement or something for long enough to let her get on her feet (she quit her old job on good terms with everybody so getting a job back at Comcast would probably be very easy for her).

I have no idea how my dad would respond to this, and I don't dare try to imagine it. I'm not him, and for the most part I did my best to stay out of the divorce fiasco. After we left, my dad refurnished our rooms so I know my two sisters and I would have a door open for us.

She's also upset that she didn't take my father's offer for marriage counseling and how the divorce is her fault (her words). How she felt like she couldn't take my dad dumping everything on my mom, only to later admit that she took on these things herself, regardless of her ability to handle multiple tasks.

My mom has already emailed my dad. A decision may arrive tonight on whether or not we fly back to Maryland.
Do you think your mom will be able to handle being with your dad again? If she can ask him to let her back in and admit she was the fault of the divorce, I'd assume she's mature enough to live with him again. I hope so.

Except for the major timezone difference and financial issue, it sounds like you've got it good in Ireland, though.

Whatever happens, I hope for the best.
Yeah, that's all I can hope for too.

She wants a few more weeks to think about it now, though. If she does decide to move back, it's still up to my father and if he'll let my mom back in the house.

She kinda burned her bridges with the rest of her family, though. I can't imagine her trying to go back to them.