RPG Framework

by Albro1
A small framework for a simple RPG. Newbies can learn from it.
Your maptext_CreateText is defined as maptext_CreateText(atom/a), yet you're sending multiple parameters.
No, you only see an atom being sent to it because most of the parameters have a default value.

If you look in my Maptext Library:

atom/proc
maptext_CreateText(atom/show_to, message = name, layer = FLY_LAYER, width = 96, height = 96, px = 0, py = 32)
var/mob/m
if(ismob(show_to) && show_to:client)
m = show_to
new /text_obj(message, src, m, width, height, px, py, layer)
atom/proc
maptext_CreateText(atom/a)
var/mob/m
if(ismob(a) && a:client)
m = a
new /text_obj(src, m, 96, 96, 0, 32)

That's what mine looks like when I downloaded it.
o.O That can't be right. Hmm. I'll update it sometime soon.
Can you change the name? It's hardly a framework...

I think you should release it with a more stable version....
This made me want to create an RPG framework. I have a decent amount done for a couple of days work, but its certainly harder than it seems.
Now having the reputation and skills that you have I say go for it! Good luck and you'll blow this thing out of the water.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Can you change the name? It's hardly a framework...

Elaborate on how it isn't, please.

I think you should release it with a more stable version....

What isn't stable about it? Please, tell me what errors you are getting. If you followed my instructions, you shouldn't have any. Aside from the Maptext thing that Darker mentioned.

A frameworks is essentially a building structure- not a built structure. You have elaborated datums in such a manner that this is more of a "game starter" than anything else.
In response to Shanegirl
Shanegirl wrote:
You have elaborated datums in such a manner that this is more of a "game starter" than anything else.

How so? Also, a framework can be called a "game starter". This is a framework specifically built for an RPG, and it has a "demo" in it to boot.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Shanegirl wrote:
You have elaborated datums in such a manner that this is more of a "game starter" than anything else.

How so? Also, a framework can be called a "game starter". This is a framework specifically built for an RPG, and it has a "demo" in it to boot.

I don't believe .Net Frameworks is by any means a starter. Mainly because you have predefined verbs and variables that are going to have an impact on the game. Instead of using your code to construct their own material, they'd have to change whats already operating inside of it in order to produce the desired effect. I just don't see it as by any means a framework.

Sorry, I didn't notice this "demo". I just assumed since the preprocessor included all of the files that they were all apart of it.
In response to Shanegirl
Shanegirl wrote:
Sorry, I didn't notice this "demo". I just assumed since the preprocessor included all of the files that they were all apart of it.

Yeah, the "demo" part has yet to be separated. If you took the time out of your day to read the previous comments, you would see that I got the suggestion from Forum_account.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Shanegirl wrote:

Yeah, the "demo" part has yet to be separated. If you took the time out of your day to read the previous comments, you would see that I got the suggestion from Forum_account.

Yet? So it will be. Take the time out of your day to go do that then. Should only take like- what- five minutes? You still haven't even done that yet.
In response to Shanegirl
Shanegirl wrote:
Yet? So it will be. Take the time out of your day to go do that then. Should only take like- what- five minutes? You still haven't even done that yet.

I'm going to have to ask you to stop being condescending and acting like you are better than everyone. I have other updates to do on the framework, I'm not updating it for that specific thing.

So please, feel free to not come back since this framework is so beneath your greatness.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Shanegirl wrote:

I'm going to have to ask you to stop being condescending and acting like you are better than everyone. I have other updates to do on the framework, I'm not updating it for that specific thing.

So please, feel free to not come back since this framework is so beneath your greatness.

That's so patronizing but true. I'm sorry to say; it's below me because I can do better.
So take the time out of your day to make something then.

You know, instead of flaunting your skill with no backup.

Oh, and don't say you're sorry. It's obvious you aren't.
Here we go ... Face palm
I'm not buying a membership for a self-absorbed person who has nothing better to do than nitpick at every single thing. I'm done with this tangent.
In response to Shanegirl
Shanegirl wrote:
Albro1 wrote:
Shanegirl wrote:

The code for the framework is available for download. You're more than welcome to make improvements to it yourself. The BYOND community is full of people waiting for someone to make an awesome game or resource, but the community will only get good resources when people start working together.
Page: 1 2 3