ID:725391
 
Yeah, I was just wondering why you guys allowed Cassidyx15 to rip the sources for Falacy's "Bleach Eternity", and repost them as his own game on the hub....Just doesn't seem right to me, just saying ^^
I am investigating into the matter.
Falacy released the source to the public, knowing full well the possible outcomes. He asked for anything made with it to remain on his hub, but there is nothing binding about that request.
To be frank, the politics of game A vs game B and their community rivalries are nothing to do with us and not something we can interfere in without it becoming a mess of confusion.
Well it says remake and hes updating and adding things and changing it, even has someone working on new bases, fixing bugs that werent fixed on the original game, and adding new things to the game altogether making it less and less like the original and it is turning into its own thing. things would be different if he used the original said it was his own and did nothing to it and published it
Unfortunately, he's still used the other game's codebase to work on, and from our perspective ( along with the fact it's a fangame, of course ) that makes it non-original content.

Simply saying that something is a 'remake' doesn't make it separate to the original; a remake is, by definition, the same thing, and no amount of modification will really change that.
In response to Albro1 (#2)
Albro1 wrote:
Falacy released the source to the public, knowing full well the possible outcomes. He asked for anything made with it to remain on his hub, but there is nothing binding about that request.

I do believe with the release of the sources he stated it's fine to make a game off of the source, but he would like credit for the work.
In response to NNAAAAHH (#6)
NNAAAAHH wrote:
I do believe with the release of the sources he stated it's fine to make a game off of the source, but he would like credit for the work.

No one was required to sign a contract saying they had to do that. Welcome to the internet, where anything you put up is free game unless you take legal action to make it otherwise.
In response to Albro1 (#7)
You don't sign a contract anywhere on the internet, yet there's still tons and tons of legal-binding occurances on the internet! :O

I said he would LIKE credit for his work, but he gave permission to use his source to make other games.

This means no one HAS to give him credit, it's just what you should do, out of respect.
No one was required to sign a contract saying they had to do that.

Correct. It's polite to respect the wishes of other developers though, and that's the way things should probably work by default.
If we don't respect the developer's wishes, then what has this world come to? Why give people good resources if they're not even going to be grateful?

Seriously, if you're an honest developer, you give credit where credit is due.
I was not justifying the morality of it. I was just pointing out to him that no one was bound to do it. There are 10 year old developers here, you can't expect them to listen to what you would like.
In response to Albro1 (#11)
And why not? Why should we hold anyone on this site higher or lower than anyone else?
In response to Albro1 (#11)
Albro1 wrote:
There are 10 year old developers here, you can't expect them to listen to what you would like.


Actually, we can. By participating in the whole developer community, you subscribe to a certain level of professional and human respect for your peers. If you're not willing to provide that, then you really shouldn't be here.
It's not a matter of age ( though, really, 10 is far too young for the BYOND environment in the first place ) - it's a matter of responsibility, social grace and basic human respect for each other.
In response to NNAAAAHH (#12)
NNAAAAHH wrote:
And why not? Why should we hold anyone on this site higher or lower than anyone else?

Because that's how the world works. Go sexually harass a kid and then sexually harass an adult. See which one gets you in more trouble.

Deathguard wrote:
Actually, we can. By participating in the whole developer community, you subscribe to a certain level of professional and human respect for your peers. If you're not willing to provide that, then you really shouldn't be here.
It's not a matter of age ( though, really, 10 is far too young for the BYOND environment in the first place ) - it's a matter of responsibility, social grace and basic human respect for each other.

Again, I was only trying to state that no one was bound by some invisible contract. I agree with your points and had I wanted to use his source for some out-of-this-world reason, I would've provided credit. However people were posting here as if by using the code you signed a legal contract binding you to give credit, when in reality it was politely asked of you. Unfortunately, just like common sense, politeness is not something everyone has.
In response to Albro1 (#14)
I'm not talking about sexualy harrassing anyone.

On this site, or any other game developement site we are supposed to hold everyone to the same standard. I do believe on byond's key registry it states clearly that you have to be over 13 to make a key, so anyone under that shouldn't even be present.

Now to re-enforce my point of everyone being held to the same light:
If a ten year old makes a rip on here, will it get listed because they can't expect the ten year old to make anything orriginal?