Epic

by Yut Put
Epic
Explore epic dungeons and slay epic foes with your friends in a huge, epic fantasy action RPG world.
ID:731459

this is on a new post because there was a large amount of time between now and the last post due to a brief hiatus i took

5/7/12

added:
-portals(2, carry them on your head to position, can warp between them, works with things like projectiles)
-timed boxes(once powered start a count-down)
-targets(shoot to power them)
-half-walls(buggy atm, but only allow projectiles through)
-power links/new event circuit system(much more effect than the old one using power boxes :D)
-portal-themed side dungeon(HELL YEAH. tested this one a couple times, it's quite the puzzler and can take a while lol. very refreshing after some hard-core boss slaying, the whole level is enemy clean)

-"cake armor"
-"wormhole science handheld portal device"
-"still alive" karaoke theme :D
-weighted rocks, with matching weight buttons(only the rocks can hold the buttons down)
-levers, deactivate over time, activated with E

changed:
-doors close after three seconds if a player isn't in them :D

fixed:
stealing boxes/whatever off of another player's head

funny glitch of the day: I accidentally created a "cake" icon state in objects.dmi and it was unnamed, so when I booted up the game all of the objects that didn't have icon states appeared as cake(ie. everything on the HUD)

So I started the game and there was floating cake everywhere. And it was a lie.

5/8/12

additions:
-respec npc that resets all of your passives for 1k gold
-a new set of around 8 orbs(that many new classes, tier 2), mapped

changes:
-added an easier way for me to program in maptext captions
-added a message that is sent to the user if they try to take an item when their inventory is full

fixes:
-max party length set to 4
-duplicate party finish messages(not a real problem)
-tier 2 enchantments have appropriate names
-enchanting an illegible object with a crystal won't change its suffix any more
-fixed a minor issue with levers

5/9/12

additions:
Elemental Idols. These are special items that have their own slot. You may only equip one at a time. By pressing the G key while you have an idol equipped, you enter "Epic mode" and you gain various different -awesome- passive abilities for ten seconds depending on the idol you're equipping. This requires that you have full MP and less than half HP, and has a 2 minute cooldown. It also takes up all your MP and half of your remaining health. There are four idols in the game presently. You gain idols in the four huzza dungeons.

(this is the wind epic form. the underlays for epic forms are the only instances where i use/will use GFX in the game to highlight their uniqueness and awesomeness)

EARTH
melee attacks have max reach and are all spins,
all damage halved,
speed max is 3,
pulse every second,

FIRE
mp regenerates 5x faster,
spell damage doubled,
spell projectiles triple fire,
staffs instantly recharge after casting a spell,

WIND
+3 speed,
all your attacks become criticals,
swing speed doubled,
all arrows triple fire,

WATER
you drain all of the damage you do as mp,
spells take up half mp,
stuns are +5,
projectile damage taken halfed,

the four epic forms were designed to fit a very wide range of player classes

changes:
a crapload of new engine stuff due to all the passives i added
5/24/12

additions:

third clockwerk dungeon
join game/host game commands on menu bar
items:
headsman armor
headsman axe
darkfate leather
darkfate dagger
darkfate cloak
fate staff
abilities:
fate wave
fate trap
fate spell
other random tiny things that i added between now and the last update i posted

changes:
some lag related stuff

fixes:
some more lag related stuff

lots of performance enhancements were included in the update i did today. because they are numerous, random and not worth explaining, just assume that the game will run faster now. thank you, and have a nice lunch.
I looked into the operational end of the device. :(
You just keep on truckin' and adding new things to this, and it is great. :)!
Yeah, awesome job, and a very fun game! I wish Eternia was speeding along as fast as you guys haha.
epic was designed to be very easy to work on. i write up a to do list every day i plan on working on it, put up my livestream so i have someone to talk to while I do it, and just pound it all out in one sitting. it really only took an hour or two to program all this stuff, the lengthy part is just mapping dungeons
5/8/12

additions:
-respec npc that resets all of your passives for 1k gold
-a new set of around 8 orbs(that many new classes, tier 2), mapped

changes:
-added an easier way for me to program in maptext captions
-added a message that is sent to the user if they try to take an item when their inventory is full

fixes:
-max party length set to 4
-duplicate party finish messages(not a real problem)
-tier 2 enchantments have appropriate names
-enchanting an illegible object with a crystal won't change its suffix any more
-fixed a minor issue with levers
5/9/12

additions:
Elemental Idols. These are special items that have their own slot. You may only equip one at a time. By pressing the G key while you have an idol equipped, you enter "Epic mode" and you gain various different -awesome- passive abilities for ten seconds depending on the idol you're equipping. This requires that you have full MP and less than half HP, and has a 2 minute cooldown. It also takes up all your MP and half of your remaining health. There are four idols in the game presently. You gain idols in the four huzza dungeons.
(this is the wind epic form. the underlays for epic forms are the only instances where i use/will use GFX in the game to highlight their uniqueness and awesomeness)

EARTH
melee attacks have max reach and are all spins,
all damage halved,
speed max is 3,
pulse every second,

FIRE
mp regenerates 5x faster,
spell damage doubled,
spell projectiles triple fire,
staffs instantly recharge after casting a spell,

WIND
+3 speed,
all your attacks become criticals,
swing speed doubled,
all arrows triple fire,

WATER
you drain all of the damage you do as mp,
spells take up half mp,
stuns are +5,
projectile damage taken halfed,

the four epic forms were designed to fit a very wide range of player classes

changes:
a crapload of new engine stuff due to all the passives i added
.... It that seems a bit overpowered.
In response to Blazekid
Blazekid wrote:
.... It that seems a bit overpowered.

it's only for ten seconds. I'm also guessing that's why it has specific requirements for usage. To balance out it's awesomeness.
i'ts not op. trust me
its UP
It is neither overpowered nor underpowered. It is what is going to destroy you!
ITS UP!
Anyway, played this for the first time today. Only issues so far:

1. Monster Deaths: When I first killed a monster in the game, I didn't realize it was dead until I noticed I wasn't doing damage anymore. I was swinging at it for like 5 seconds after it died because I was expecting some animation, sound, or SOMETHING to let me know the monster was dead. I find it awkward that the monster just simply stops attacking and that's it.

2. Lag: In the level 2 dungeon, I saw an archer orc and I figured I'd go kill it and take his bow and try it out. As soon as I equip it and start shooting at the mage orc right behind him, I start lagging like no tomorrow. At one point it wouldn't even let me shoot the arrows anymore, and everything felt like I was in the Matrix. I had to close the game because it was unplayable at that point.

and last but not least

3. Frogs: I have yet to encounter a narto frog. This is greatly disturbing. Implement frogs now or you'll be hearing from my lawyers.

[Edit] Also another thing about deaths, one time I killed a monster and then another monster came right ontop of that monster and I killed it as well and it was a hassle trying to loot them because the corpse doesn't disappear. Monsters should make a noise or something when they die, remain there for maybe 15 seconds, then disappear.
lag is a definite issue. according to most accounts, a locally hosted world in dream daemon runs perfectly smooth. On my computer, I can play the game without any lag consistently for a long period of time in single player(which is when the game is at its slowest)

is it your mouse lagging or is the entire game lagging? was it taking a ton of cpu? and is your pc crap?

monster deaths are indicated by multiple different minor visual effects, but it's difficult to come up with something that the players will really notice.

at the moment a monster dies, the monster's name overlay disappears, a white flash appears on the player notifying you that you gained HP from the kill, and blood splashes out of the dead monster. the most noticeable of these three effects is the name disappearing

the issue with monsters disappearing is that players may chose not loot them because they are still fighting or the monster might be holding some kind of loot that is essential to the dungeon. so it's hard to come up with a way to determine when they are "inactive" enough to disappear, since it is subjective depending on the motivations of the players.

....i didn't know there weren't any frogs in the game. this is a serious issue
Lol they must be extremely minor because I killed quite a few monsters and never saw a drop of blood. I'm going to play it again and pay closer attention to see if I see anything because TBH all I noticed was that the monster simply stopped attacking.

But anyway, it's the entire game. Also I didn't check the CPU, and my PC is the best there is. Although I was torrenting the entire first season of Dora the Explorer so that may have had an impact on the game's performance. I'm trying to learn Spanish, give me a break.

And yeah I thought about people not being able to loot immediately. Maybe have the corpse disappear 10 seconds after the player hits Q on it to loot it. Or make a dialog box come up similar to the one that pops up when an NPC asks you to accept a quest, and have the monsters that are occupying the same space to be listed in that window so you can choose which one you want to loot. It's not a huge issue but then again, looting shouldn't be a hassle.
forum_account reported that he noticed the game got laggy up to dungeon 3, and once he got past that the entire game ran smoothly. i'm still kind of confused by this and i'm also confused by your issue with projectiles because it seems to vary widely between clients

anyway, i'm definitely going to look into conveying the "you killed something" message better to the player
Apologies for the ridiculous delay, I'm really caught up in school right now and my social life is also kicking up again so I only have a couple of hours now each week to work on the game. I'll do my best to instruct blazekid with what i want done, but i doubt he'll get it done(lol, we just need 2 dungeons and 0.8 can be released for you guys and making dungeons is his job)

past that 0.8 is completely ready though content-wise. maybe some more minor changes, but for the most part i was able to implement the things i was most interested in adding
I've been busy trying to re raise my grades ._.
5/24/12

additions:

third clockwerk dungeon
join game/host game commands on menu bar
items:
headsman armor
headsman axe
darkfate leather
darkfate dagger
darkfate cloak
fate staff
abilities:
fate wave
fate trap
fate spell
other random tiny things that i added between now and the last update i posted

changes:
some lag related stuff

fixes:
some more lag related stuff

lots of performance enhancements were included in the update i did today. because they are numerous, random and not worth explaining, just assume that the game will run faster now. thank you, and have a nice lunch.