ID:733604

I remember ages ago there was heaps of hype about the flash client but I haven't heard anymore about it for a long time.

What's the current state of things?
The plan is to first release a custom version for NEStalgia, which we are using for a variety of flash- and non-flash test cases (which will eventually become open to the rest of the community). This part is basically working but we have an issue with music due to Flash's dependence on MP3 and somewhat limited third-party OGG support. With a custom build we can always include the music resources but that's not a great option for a general build unless we can figure out how to bundle resources into the .swf.

The current version is limited to the input, output, and map (so no skins, but it's probably better that way). It seems to work pretty well. We'll release what we can in the upcoming months, after we get through with these tests.

I admit this is long overdue as we've had this basically in this state for well over a year.
In response to Tom
Thanks for the update, sounds interesting. Could be a cool platform for super quick Web MUDs.
In response to Corax Software
Corax Software wrote:
Thanks for the update, sounds interesting. Could be a cool platform for super quick Web MUDs.

You can still create a MUD using DMCGI but then you need a webhost with that enabled ... so it's kind of a win lose situation for DMCGI....

By the sounds of it the flash client won't be available for another year...

As for testing it with NEStalgia good move as they use on screen text for the menus.
Nah, the client will be out within a few months for sure. Like I said, it basically works so if we're willing to go with a limited version, it's fine.
In response to Tom
Well that's some positive news for once thanks.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Corax Software wrote:

You can still create a MUD using DMCGI but then you need a webhost with that enabled ... so it's kind of a win lose situation for DMCGI....

What on earth is DMCGI? (O - o)
In response to Corax Software
http://www.byond.com/ forum/?forum=3&command=search&text=dmcgi

DMCGI is really a web based BYOND capable of showing text and images all coded via BYOND.

So it's kinda like PHP but not as powerful.

It's nothing like the flash player, the flash player has graphics so don't get them confused DMCGI will do nothing like that.

At the moment DMCGI is not supported by BYOND any more :( with no plans of bringing it back I believe Dan started it and it's programming is very complex.

And remember you can only use DMCGI on web host with it enabled :(
Sounds like a heavy investment of time for little overall gain but cool none the less.