ID:751677

Alrighty. I know the guild page recommends Ubuntu, but after I get my new laptop I plan to convert this one over to a linux machine. I would like to know: What build would you recommend for me? My linux experience is limited to remoting in via SSH and doing command line input. Well that and a very little bit of Fedora when I was helping someone with their computer.
What build would you recommend to me?
I personally use Kubuntu, it's quite good. I use Kubuntu on my laptop, and find the battery and wireless tools are quite good, but that would probably go for any KDE based distro.

I used Fedora about 4 years ago, and it wasn't bad, but at the time it took 5 CDs to install... FIVE! They have probably fixed that sense, but Kubuntu uses one CD.
In order to learn the overall linux functionality, you should either get xubuntu, ubuntu, or kubuntu. The only difference between either of the three distributions is the window manager, which is just personal preference. xubuntu uses the Xfce windows manager, ubuntu uses the GNOME desktop environment, and kubuntu uses the K desktop environment.

After that, you can experiment with other linux distributions like gentoo, arch, slackware, and SUSE.
Why embrace only the GUI? Linux originated from CLI roots, so you should also learn how to use the command line tools for the times when you have no xorg access. These days, I don't even use xfce, kde, or gnome. I construct my own environment from various apps.
In response to Ryuo
I run a CentOS powered server, so I do plenty of CLI, just never had linux on a home box, that is why I was asking for the recommendation.
In response to Winchester
Well then, it depends. Ubuntu and such distros try to do everything for you through a GUI, for the most part. I have used several distros that require more knowledge of CLI and some manual configuration. Arch, Crux, Gentoo(bleh, but at least their documentation is good), Lunar, and such. These days I use frugalware. Just choose what is right for what you want to do. The ones I mentioned are a better choice if you also feel like doing some learning of what goes on behind the GUI. ;)
In response to Ryuo
Slackware too! D: