ID:751747

Hey guys, I've been using BYOND for a long while on my windows machine, but I have a laptop running Ubuntu 10.10. I've tried a couple of times already to get it running in Wine, but to no avail. There is a lot of information to sift through here, so I was wondering several things.

First, are there any people with fully functioning installs of BYOND on Ubuntu?

Second, I hear the terms ".DLL" and "Driver" being thrown around quite a bit. I'm familiar with the concept of them and I understand why they are necessary, but I don't quite understand how to install them on Wine.

Third, I've heard of horrendous amounts of lag when running BYOND successfully in Wine. Is this true, and is there anyway to rectify this? (Keep in mind, this assumes that I can get something working. :P)

As it stands, I've got the latest version of wine and I've installed BYOND in it using the Wine program loader, but I just click on it, get a little waiting ball, then nothing. Anyone know where I should go from here?

Sorry I am so clueless, but I'd like to learn more and in the process of doing so I'd like to get BYOND running. (One would say that this is my primary objective, but meh.)

Cheers,

Locke
Open up a terminal, and type wine --version

Ubuntu used to (may still do) ship with 1.0.x, which doesn't work for BYOND. It also isn't the latest development version of Wine.

As for drivers, Ubuntu already has them, windows drivers don't work (mostly, or make sense) on Linux.

As for DLLs, some people use http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/ config-wine-main#WINECFG-DLL-OVERRIDES DLL overrides. These are for cases where a Windows system DLL may work better than a native Wine DLL. For BYOND, I have no DLL overrides, and as standard you should look to avoid adding them. WineHQ will only debug issues with you if you have no overrides.

As for lag ... it depends. I'm running Gentoo and most BYOND games are playable, however action / twitch gaming is usually not doable.

I can probably spin up an Ubuntu install and try this process, as this question is asked a lot.
In response to Stephen001
Ah, yes.

I'm running Wine 1.2.1, and it doesn't work. I've installed BYOND and I have a BYOND icon (with a Wineglass for the logo) on the desktop. When clicked it says "Starting BYOND" in the taskbar, but it quits after a while and sends no error message. So it would appear that I'm slightly hosed. Do you have any insights?

That is, I'm in the same boat as Locke.
In response to Intrusi0n
You best bet is ensure BYOND isn't running, then open a terminal, then run something like:

wine 'C:\Program Files\BYOND\bin\byond.exe'

You'll get a load of terminal output, which you can post back here for us.
Output is as follows:

err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byondwin.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library byondwin.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byond.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byond.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byond.exe" failed, status c0000135
In response to Intrusi0n
http://wiki.winehq.org/ FAQ#head-d10f6828f4c34da2ef34f0bf8a9d576ae78bb2aa I suppose I've had this DLL for a while, just not particularly configured.
Ah, thanks. That did the job.

Oh wait, no. I can't connect to servers. I can download the information, but when it comes to connecting it says "cannot find ?2(ascii block here)
In response to Intrusi0n
Sorry, when is this? When using winetricks, or running BYOND?
Using Byond, connecting to a server.

The issue sorted itself out, but now it will just boot me back to the log-in screen (that is, the screen where you log into a user in ubuntu), and BYOND and dreamseeker are prone to crashing without warning- they just throw an error message and then stop responding. The error message itself is just a dialog box without any text in it.
In response to Intrusi0n
I've seen the latter previously, however the former suggests BYOND + Wine is crashing the Xorg server, which needs you to login when it start up again.

I will set up Ubuntu 10.10 at some point, however it has been fairly apparent to me for some time that Ubuntu have been playing around with their Wine packages instead of properly bringing up the issues with the WineHQ team. It's a common problem for Ubuntu I find, hence I don't recommend it as a distribution.
fedora's interface looks like windows xp; thats why i chose ubuntu...
In response to Rapmaster
Naturally you can skin any linux distribution as you please, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue I'd hope. All the same, clearly more support needs to go into Ubunt 10.10 here.
What distro do you use?
In response to Intrusi0n
I use Gentoo, which I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy. It's a completely compile from source distribution, takes a lot of time and effort to set up.
Ah. Is ubuntu the only distro with major incompatibility issues with BYOND?
In response to Intrusi0n
That I've found, yes. I used to use Fedora from time to time, and that's okay. The problem is you see, I'm pretty much the only regular Linux user that posts here. So if I don't use it, it seems like no-one knows. =P
Huh, Trying it on Mint 10.
I post here sometimes!

But I don't typically use byond via wine.

I do have it running correctly on my Sabayon installation, just installing the default Sabayon binaries provided by Entropy.

The only thing that doesn't work for me (that I've noticed) is the icons don't show up in the chat window.
In response to Stupot
Yeah, that would be a known bug:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14419
In response to Intrusi0n
Well, though it's a few months later, I figure I might as well share my results.

Needless to say, it's a bit... unstable on Mint 10. This is running WINE 1.2.1. I've got winetricks installed as well. Here's the deal:

1) BYOND is unstable at best, and the actual client occasionally crashes with an empty little window with no text and a red "X", with an OK button as the only option.

2) In-game, none of the little popup windows that are used as interfaces actually show anything if more than one is open at a time. The areas where the open windows overlap goes black and STAYS black. I can still use the windows, but if I double click in them, I get the same crash deal with BYOND, only with dreamseeker.

3) The tiles show normally, but on occasion the entire world area gets squished down and printed line-by-line in the text area if anything new is added. That is, the text in there is superimposed over a view of the world that is constructed line by line with each new print.

4) It's laggy as all hell.

Does *anyone* have *any* insights at all?
Page: 1 2