ID:754835

Resolved
The #warn and #error directives tried to parse the ' character as the beginning of a filename instead of just an apostrophe. These directives will now count quotes as ordinary text.
BYOND Version:494
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 19.0.1084.46
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The #warn directive does not accept single quotes ('). It will complain as it expects a second single quote.
I need more information, like what the line said that you were trying to use. This is too little information for a bug report.
#warn This can't possibly work!

I'm not trying to be combative here. I'm simply asking for some minimal information. I see "single quote" and I think you're trying to do something with a filename, not an apostrophe. It's not unreasonable to ask for the line of code that you saw produce the error; the more info you provide up front, the quicker I can investigate the issue.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I'm not trying to be combative here. I'm simply asking for some minimal information.

This bug was so easy to reproduce that all it took was opening a new environment, typing "#warn '" and pressing Ctrl+K. There should not be any need for more information than that.

I see "single quote" and I think you're trying to do something with a filename, not an apostrophe.

Did you actually read the report? I'm not talking about "a single quote"; I'm talking about "a single quote in a #warn directive".

It's not unreasonable to ask for the line of code that you saw produce the error; the more info you provide up front, the quicker I can investigate the issue.

So I have to come back and waste my time trying to explain the obvious: single quotes do not work in the #warn directive. It's exactly what it says on the tin.

In the time it took for you to write your original reply you could have at least tried opening a BYOND environment (which you probably have one open in the background for convenient testing) and typing a #warn directive with a single quote in it. I would ask no less of myself when faced with a bug report!

Instead you stick to your principles and demand that more information be provided, wasting both of our time. I find that ridiculous specifically because this bug is so easy to reproduce.

I hope that in the future when a bug is encountered by a BYOND developer that it's first tested with what information there is. IMO my report was clear and concise enough and should have been easily fixed without this jibber-jabber.
Have you tried
#warn "This can't possibly work!"

Seems like the logical way of dealing with a text value in a macro.
Providing an example line up front is the easiest way to report a bug for both of us, as it provides maximum clarity and it means I can dive right into trying to fix it when I get to it. Providing just a one-line description is seldom very helpful, even when the bug is crystal clear. Obviously the full template wasn't that important, but when you have the opportunity to provide further useful information like a line of code, you should always do so.

Today I was just looking at the new reports and seeing what I could learn of them now, since I won't be actually doing any serious testing of them till at least tomorrow. So for the time being, asking for more information certainly couldn't hurt anything. For all I knew this bug wouldn't have shown up in a simple test, because maybe I typed a line differently than you did, and if that was the case then I would have had to post a followup question and move on to another bug, dragging out the process. I've had that happen often enough that I'm not shy about asking for clarification in advance even if the bug seems perfectly clear already, and I don't understand the fuss over this case.
It also seems to struggle with the double-quote:
#warn TestA '
#warn TestB "

Outputs:
test.dm:1:error: unterminated text (expecting ')
test.dm:1:warning: #warn TestA ''
test.dm:2:error: unterminated text (expecting ")
test.dm:2:warning: #warn TestB ""

Interestingly, the warning is altered before being displayed to close the quotes.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The #warn and #error directives tried to parse the ' character as the beginning of a filename instead of just an apostrophe. These directives will now count quotes as ordinary text.