ID:76186

Descriptive Problem Summary:For Dream Seeker to open and connect to a game. Instead it sits at the splash screen saying Launching Dream Seeker and goes no further. I don't know if this is a problem for everyone and this was the most fitting area I could find to report and get help for it.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:Just try to log into a game.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:For Dream Seeker to launch

Actual Results:Splash screen hangs trying to launch dream seeker

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Everytime for me since today. I can not get on to any byond games at all.
In other games?All games I try.
In other user accounts?All my keys have the same issue.
On other computers?No other computer to try on.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Workarounds:

I was finally able to log back into games later. I had to go into my byond folder and delete the cache. I did try deleting the cache through the pager, but it wasn't deleting anything in the folder. I was on two games when the problem started. One I timed out on (which happens alot on that game) and the other I was still logged into fine. I tried the cache first and logged out of all games like normal so byond could delete the cache, but I didn't know at that time that the cache wasn't being deleted like the pager was telling me that it was.
ever sense i got the new update i couldnt realy play no games at all even games i havent seen and the 1's i downloaded
When issues like these happen, it would be helpful if you could downgrade to older releases and test them as well, so we can see if the problem is due to the new version. Older builds can be found at http://www.byond.com/download/build/

In 443, some changes were made to the caching system-- specifically to allow multiple games to be played simultaneously without requiring resources to be redownloaded. I wonder if there is a glitch here that is causing this new issue.
Tom wrote:
When issues like these happen, it would be helpful if you could downgrade to older releases and test them as well, so we can see if the problem is due to the new version. Older builds can be found at http://www.byond.com/download/build/

In 443, some changes were made to the caching system-- specifically to allow multiple games to be played simultaneously without requiring resources to be redownloaded. I wonder if there is a glitch here that is causing this new issue.

If it happens again I will try 442. What about the clear cache not working?
I got the issue again today. It seemed to had happened after I was sitting on two games and my connection timed out. It didn't appear I was booted from the games. The map was still there. Any action I tried was ignored and wouldn't give me the connection failed message. I couldn't use reconnect. When I closed the window and tried logging back in again I wasn't able to launch dream seeker anymore.
If it is in a state where it is consistently showing problems in 443/444, try it in 442 and let us know what happens. If there isn't an issue in 442 that would pinpoint the bug.
omfg i have tryed every thing and nothing i still cant get on
new versions and old ones
I just wanna know how to fix it
cause it really is gettin annoying
I hope i really find out how to fix it soon cause i have to get back to hosting
How do you delete ur cache?
I tested this issue in numerous ways with no problems. I am using Windows XP Pro. Hosted 1 game with Dream Daemon and connected to 3 others.
Ghtry wrote:
I tested this issue in numerous ways with no problems. I am using Windows XP Pro. Hosted 1 game with Dream Daemon and connected to 3 others.

I have not been able to get this to happen again. It seemed to be happening when I timed out on games and tried to reconnect. I couldn't clear the cache unless I actually deleted the folder. I been waiting for it to happen again so I can test.
Dpheonix7, please note byond will not allow you to clear the cache while any dream seeker windows are open. The games use this folder to help conserve bandwidth.

You said:
I couldn't clear the cache unless I actually deleted the folder.

Well deleting the cache folder with active games running... yep I am sure that is enough cause for dream seeker to start exhibiting weird symptoms.
this has been happening to me also it just keeps saying dream seeker launching and goes no further i have tried redownloading the whole thing but it still says this
Ghtry wrote:
Dpheonix7, please note byond will not allow you to clear the cache while any dream seeker windows are open. The games use this folder to help conserve bandwidth.

You said:

Well deleting the cache folder with active games running... yep I am sure that is enough cause for dream seeker to start exhibiting weird symptoms.

I'm not doing this while DS is running. I have no idea where you thought I had it running while clearing the cache. (Its not running anyways if it wont launch)
EspadaMadara wrote:
this has been happening to me also it just keeps saying dream seeker launching and goes no further i have tried redownloading the whole thing but it still says this

After deleting the resources in the cache folder I been able to log back in.
Dpheonix7 wrote:
Ghtry wrote:

You said:

I'm not doing this while DS is running. I have no idea where you thought I had it running while clearing the cache. (Its not running anyways if it wont launch)
um yeah just asking where we go to delete cache i do not know since i never had any reason to delete stuff from it i geuss so if u would be so kind as to tell me where it is i can find it so i can see if i can play games again i haven't been able ot play any games since i downloaded the latest version of byond
EspadaMadara wrote:
Dpheonix7 wrote:
Ghtry wrote:

You said:

um yeah just asking where we go to delete cache i do not know since i never had any reason to delete stuff from it i geuss so if u would be so kind as to tell me where it is i can find it so i can see if i can play games again i haven't been able ot play any games since i downloaded the latest version of byond

If your byond is set up anything like mine you have a byond folder in my documents. In that folder should be the cache folder.
Dpheonix7 wrote:
EspadaMadara wrote:
Dpheonix7 wrote:
Ghtry wrote:

You said:

If your byond is set up anything like mine you have a byond folder in my documents. In that folder should be the cache folder.
thank you for your help i appreciated it very much if there is any way i could repay i would do it without a moments hesitation
I delete cache but it still not launching!