ID:763857

I do not understand this game. I've logged in to observe, I've glanced at the wiki (which I think contains racial slurs and obscene language on the front page) and watched the video, and I still don't understand what is going on.

Is there a synopsis or a brief overview of the game anywhere that would explain it in quick simple terms?

Thanks!
Have you ever been in a mosh-pit? It's like that, but in space.
Haha. I lol'd.
Being an avid metalhead and concert-goer and having played SS13 frequently in the past, Stephen hits the nail about perfectly.. XD
I produce metalcore for a living :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Sturgis
In response to FIREking
MSN?
I'd really like to talk to you a bit since the career I've wanted/been perusing since middle school is to be an audio technician/audio producer.
I don't use any instant messenger services. I use twitter, facebook, and gmail. My gf and I just email each other back n forth haha. Its just as fast as text messaging if not faster.

Feel free to page me via the web service here.
Alright, sounds good.
It's a bunch of idiots moderated by even more idiots. That's the best way to explain it.

I was banned just the other day because I was hitting the "admin help" button "too much". The only reason I was hitting it was because I was being shot by the Detective for no reason and was waiting for an admin to come on to report him. Turns out, the retarded admin was there all along but was just hidden. After about 5 or 6 admin helps, he PMs me "why r u hittin that admin help button so much, you've been doin dat the whole effin game", then he banned me once I explained why.

So yeah, if you want to go through crap like what I just explained above, play SS13. If not, keep looking for another RP game to play. BTW this was the Goon servers, the other servers may or may not be better but at this point I wouldn't give any of them the benefit of the doubt.
Well yes, as it's not a roleplay game, of course. It's essentially a crazy mess, and that's the appeal.
How do they have so many players? and it's not even managed or programmed by the original guy anymore, correct?
In response to FIREking
Space Station 13's player base is made up of various outside groups (Goonstation is played by the folks from the Something Awful Forums, /tg/station is played by the fellows over on 4chan, etc). Each server is managed by a different group associated with the website they came from since the project is open source.
The appeal mostly is it's not central managed or programmed. So if you come along from some other place, and play as a small group on a goon-server and like the idea, you will probably go host your own for a bit for your guys. As it's a fairly creative sandbox-y environment at times, your community naturally want to change things, make additions.

To that end, when AZA released the source code of Space Station 13 in early 2008 (perhaps a little against the wishes of Exadv1, the original developer), the community at the time had to make a decision about how to handle a source leak.

You had a variety of responses, varying from oddly impractical to just plain naive in cases. Rather typical of BYOND, the community of the time was crying "but think of all the rips!", be-labouring the loss of 'their' game and their style of play. As a player myself, I too was kinda concerned by that.

Myself and Zjm7891 were very much the community managers at that point, and had a sit down, and basically concluded there was no way you could reverse such an action, and to even attempt it would just be detrimental to the game's success. So you had a choice really, between whether you embrace a change, and allow the game to potentially flourish, or enforce controls (somewhat) for the sake of controls and push development inside the community.

Our decision (much to the lament of the community at the time) was http://sourceforge.net/projects/openss13/

We did as a community develop on this a little bit, but essentially as you could say: You can't herd cats. A lot of the guys we had that could develop within the community were much more fond of going their own way, and contributions proved either unworkable, or with odd demands.

The goons picked that up though, and for a good while provided the source code for their own version, and maintained pretty good developer relations with myself, in spite of the existing BYOND community's animosity to them. A few features got backported to us, quite a bit of divergance of codebase occurred, and other communities started to show up, basing off either OpenSS13 or goonstation.

We fizzled out (lack of BYONDer interest basically, they were more interested in communal drama than playing or adding to the game itself), but everyone else did not, and so the game flourished, under one hub. Exadv1 showed up again, as a goon, and pretty much continued the open source, one hub, philosophy there, and much credit goes to him for being sensible about that.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Myself and Zjm7891 were very much the community managers at that point, and had a sit down, and basically concluded there was no way you could reverse such an action, and to even attempt it would just be detrimental to the game's success.

Not just you and Zjm. :P
http://web.archive.org/web/20080704082647/http:// www.ss13.net/

When AZA and I were the 'official' developers, and he went and leaked it, I was trying to salvage what I could. I got Exadv1's okay to support the openss13 effort, and here we are. The switch to sourceforge from Zjm's SVN is where I dropped off.
Nice to finally understand the situation.
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
Stephen001 wrote:
Myself and Zjm7891 were very much the community managers at that point, and had a sit down, and basically concluded there was no way you could reverse such an action, and to even attempt it would just be detrimental to the game's success.

Not just you and Zjm. :P
http://web.archive.org/web/20080704082647/http:// www.ss13.net/

When AZA and I were the 'official' developers, and he went and leaked it, I was trying to salvage what I could. I got Exadv1's okay to support the openss13 effort, and here we are. The switch to sourceforge from Zjm's SVN is where I dropped off.

My apologies, Murrawhip was pretty majorly boss also.