ID:76426

BYOND Version:445
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 3.0.11

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Instances of turfs (directions to be exact) in the map editor that are layered on top of each other are not showing up when the map is loaded and played in dream seeker.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
None so far, although you can use the instances on separate turfs just not on the same turf.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Have all the instances of the turfs show up on the same tile.

Actual Results:
Only the first turf shows up and the rest are ignored.

In this pictures, 1 is two instanced turfs on top of eachother, 2 is instanced turfs in tiles beside eachother, and 3 is again instanced turfs on top of eachother. This is in the map editor.

Now here is the same scene but with the map loaded in Dream Seeker. As you can see both 1 and 3 are not displaying the other instances, but 2 is.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime
In other games? Yes
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Not sure

When does the problem NOT occur?
The problem only occurs with turfs, objects and mobs all show their instances on the map on the same tile.

Workarounds:
So far the only work around would be to use objects, but the object limit would be reached far too early in that case.
This isn't a bug. Well it might be, but if it is its been around forever. Its due to the fact that multiple turfs cannot exist at the same location, so any stacked on top of each other in the map maker become underlays.
Also I don't see any pictures?
Falacy wrote:
This isn't a bug. Well it might be, but if it is its been around forever. Its due to the fact that multiple turfs cannot exist at the same location, so any stacked on top of each other in the map maker become underlays.
Also I don't see any pictures?
Oh sorry here I will fix them.

But it was working before I updated, I remember doing it in 3.5. I would really like this to be fixed as it makes it a lot easier to move things around in the map editor.

[edit] Also it seemed before 445 that if I placed a few instances on the map it would work until I placed a lot.

It only happens with instances though, I can stack multiple turfs on top of each other and they will still show up.
Mareth wrote:
But it was working before I updated, I remember doing it in 3.5. I would really like this to be fixed as it makes it a lot easier to move things around in the map editor.

This didn't work in 3.x. From 3.4 up, this has always acted this way. Any stacked turfs merge into one, and all of them take on the direction of the topmost turf.
Well that's a bummer then. It would be a nice feature as it makes map making a lot more customizable.
Mareth wrote:
Well that's a bummer then. It would be a nice feature as it makes map making a lot more customizable.

Just make them objects... or make each direction a separate icon_state.
Falacy wrote:
Mareth wrote:

Just make them objects... or make each direction a separate icon_state.

For the amount of them I'm going to be laying on the map, objects would be a bad choice. But making each a separate icon_state is my best bet.
On second thought I think this should probably count as a bug--not that turfs don't show overlay directions, because that's never worked that way and it'd be darn hard to do, but that the map makes it look possible. Several upcoming projects will touch on map functionality so that's something I can address then.