ID:78529

Resolved
Fixed in 449
BYOND Version:447
Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP2
Web Browser:Firefox 3.5.1

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When I have all BYOND applications closed, then host something in Dream Daemon, it keeps trying to login and outputs dots, eventually there's a lot of them. No harm probably but anyoning a little

Logging in...........Thu Aug 06 10:20:21 2009
World opened on network port 5.
Welcome BYOND! (4.0 Public Version 447.1028)
.BYOND hub reports port 5 can be reached by players.
..............................................................connected
Logged in as Ripiz.

Those dots were appearing till I connected to the world, however BYOND.exe was already running and I was logged in

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Close all running BYOND applications, start Dream Daemon and host something

Expected Results:
Login successfully
Actual Results:
Keeps trying to login and outputting dots

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other user accounts? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
When BYOND was already running and you have been connected to some game

Workarounds:
Connect to the world you just hosted

The "Logging in...." message is a sign that DD is trying to reach the pager to confirm your identity as the host. This suggests there might be something a little fishy on your local network.

This behavior has been optimized about as much as I think it can be to remove the problem of having "..." forever, so I think you may want to take a look at whether you have any weird firewall stuff going on. How long does it take, each time, from the time you see "Logging in" until you see "connected"?
It never tells connected unless I start DreamSeeker.exe (start some world in singleplayer mode, either connect one)
Looking at this again I see you actually didn't have the pager running when DD was trying to reach it; it only managed to get out of this loop once you joined DS with, presumably, the pager being brought up as well.

That being the case, this should only happen if the pager shuts down unnaturally. DD is reading from a config file that tells it how to find the pager, and if the pager isn't running but the file says it is, DD could get confused. If the pager had shut down normally before, DD should have connected as Guest.

I think to be able to reproduce this I'll need a detailed set of steps that cause it every time.
1st. I close all instances of dreammaker.exe, dreamseeker.exe, dreamdaemon.exe and byond.exe

2nd. Go to Start>All Programs>BYOND>Dream Daemon

3nd. Dream Daemon is running, it also started BYOND.exe which is running also. BYOND automatically logged in, I can see my friend list and etc. However dots are comming ( http://a.imagehost.org/0831/Untitled_8.png )

4th. I choose some world to host, and press "GO". Dots are still comming, while BYOND is logged in long ago ( http://a.imagehost.org/0463/Untitled2.png )

5th. I connect to the world I just hosted. Now it's all fine ( http://a.imagehost.org/0777/Untitled.png )
One missing piece of info is that you must have your preferences set to not login as a guest. With that setting, the pager does launch when DD is started but otherwise it doesn't. However I was still not able to reproduce the issue.
"Login to games as Guest if pager is not running" is unchecked. Pager reports that I logged in

I could make video if you need such proof 0.o
A video won't help. It's not that I don't believe this is happening, it's that I can't reproduce it. It's very difficult, in many cases impossible, to fix what can't be reproduced.
Does the Dream Daemon keep checking if pager is logged in, or checks only once, and then wait for response?

If it would keep checking non-stop, it should see that it's running
On further review I found that the reason I couldn't reproduce this bug is that it's intermittent. It depends entirely on timing.

Bug fix: If the "Login as guest" checkbox is disabled in the pager's preference settings and the pager is not currently running, when Dream Daemon is loaded it launches the pager. If the pager came up within the same exact second as Dream Daemon, DD was not able to recognize that the pager had been properly loaded, so it would keep trying to contact the pager until some other event (such as logging into a game) made the pager info update again.