ID:785503

BYOND Version:494
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 19.0.1084.52
Applies to:Dream Seeker

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
Version 494.1134

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Using this font: http://dsg4.com/04/extra/bitmap/stuff/04b_11.zip and setting the font size to 8 causes dream seeker to crash when showing map text.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Add the font
Create an interface
Add a Map Control
Set the map control to use the font
Use the code snippet

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
mob/verb/test()
src.maptext_width = 800
src.maptext_height = 64
src.maptext = "<font size=8>The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over The Lazy Dog"

Expected Results:
Text to display

Actual Results:
Dreamseeker crashes

Let me know if you can't reproduce this (because it might have something to do with control widths and view sizes or client.screen hud or something). And I'll send you a project where the crash occurs.
The crash is readily reproducible, though I can't quite figure out why yet. It happens when measuring out the size of the word "Brown", yet it succeeds on the other calls. I'm unable to tell why it's crashing because the crash occurs in the DirectX core, not in our code. The data being sent looks legitimate.

One thing I can tell you is that the text is quite a lot larger than the space you've given it, since size=8 is not a point size but, per old HTML specs, a notch past "biggest". The actual letter height is 96 pixels, so this is quite huge. That may be a factor in the crash; maybe DX is freaked out by the size of the word "Brown" compared to "Quick", since the latter half of the word is longer. I do know that switching the two words still causes it to crash on "Brown".

The exception generated by the crash isn't one we can catch, which limits my options. In addition, the routine that's crashing is Google-proof.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Verified'