LetterBox

by Hiro the Dragon King
LetterBox
This is not a game based on old fridge magnets.
ID:787252

Introducing BYOND's [apparently second] completely standalone game! I've spent the better part of the last two months working on all of the systems that this game would need to be made completely standalone from BYOND's suite. That's not to not advertise that it was made in BYOND, as there is plenty of credit given to BYOND, but so that it could be distributed as a standalone executable from other platforms, such as Steam. This is also, much like my other projects, mostly a test to see if I could do actually succeed, and also to prove that it could be done. Now with all of these systems in place, I can write any number of games, throw this interface over them, and make them standalone as well.

If you are using BYOND, you will have to shutdown your pager in order for the executable to work. It is a known issue and should be resolved any time now. There have been issues with anti-virus programs declaring the files a "high-level threat" and deleting a portion of the files, so you'll need to either make an exception and rerun the executable or turn the anti-virus off before running the executable. Please report any issues with anti-virus programs, or otherwise, to the LetterBox Bug Reports Forum.

So, without further ado, I give to you, BYOND's second completely standalone game, LetterBox.

Not the first, NEStalgia has a fully standalone version too, the only interaction with BYOND is the OPTIONAL ability to login with your key. But good job anyways :)
Anyway good job I guess.

[Later] @Hiro - Still the first working and released standalone "game" on BYOND.
This gives me an opportunity to experiment with standalone installation (or at least attempt). :P

I know it's unrelated, but I'm thinking about that myself while working on a networking engine for BYOND. It will still require BYOND installed of course, but have been planning for ways to install games or projects that use this networking engine.
The hub entry says that letter box isn't even a game, just a tech demo. You were so excited about making the first standalone game that you forgot to make a game!

BYOND users often focus on things like this. People playing your game won't care if it uses Dream Seeker, the BYOND flash client, or is a standalone executable. They'll only care about whether or not the game is fun. Just focus on creating the most fun game you can.
The "game" is as much of a game as I want to make it. I didn't make it so that other people would play it. In fact, I originally set out to polish it up because the Chatters played in it for hours and asked me to polish it.

And, using the setup of this standalone, I've also taken to putting Ultimate Jigsaw in its own standalone.
Much better example than BYOND/NEStalgia's...