LetterBox

by Hiro the Dragon King
LetterBox
This is not a game based on old fridge magnets.
ID:789854

Nadrew wrote:
Not the first, NEStalgia has a fully standalone version too, the only interaction with BYOND is the OPTIONAL ability to login with your key. But good job anyways :)

Screw them, they had help from Tom. Besides, mine doesn't install BYOND and doesn't require the Internet, and the one you're referring to for NEStalgia doesn't seem to be public yet. So again, screw them.
NEStalgia's doesn't install BYOND either, the only reason it requires the internet is because it's an online game -- if it were singleplayer it wouldn't require a connection at all.

The 'screw them' attitude is pretty lame on your end, what NEStalgia is doing is the reason you're going to find it much easier to do things like this in the future; it's a beta test of a new feature. Quit being a baby.
Hey, I was mostly joking. As it is though, NEStalgia doesn't have the standalone on their download page, so as far as I know, they haven't finished it. The download that the do have on the page does require the internet to download, does install BYOND, and also doesn't seem to work.

As for mostly joking, I realize that NEStalgia is actually paving the way for better features, like the Flash client, and the new standalone interface, but it's been almost two years and no one else has seen the Flash client yet. I get that the creators of NEStalgia are helping BYOND a lot, and I would be thankful to them and polite if their attitude to anyone else on BYOND wasn't "Screw you, you idiots suck."

Also, I realize that my standalone has issues, but I'm working with what I have and what I know, and for the longest time, they've neglected to fix the issues with the current Make EXE system.

P.S. Thank you for the compliments. I can't wait to use the new standalone system, if it ever sees the light of day.
BYOND shouldn't have to rely on a game to "pave the way" for them to make new features ... most of the "features" should of been added years ago.
Of course it requires the internet to download, EVERYTHING requires the internet to download.

The standalone on their download page is much older and not using the new features. I suggest taking a look at this one for a better idea of the new system. Doesn't install BYOND in any way.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Of course it requires the internet to download, EVERYTHING requires the internet to download.

I would hope that you would have known that that wasn't the intended meaning. The installer that they had on the page wasn't and offline installer. This means that it required an Internet connection to connect to BYOND, download BYOND, install BYOND, download the game, and play it.

@A.T.H.K. We all know this, but they don't have the resources or manpower to do everything they should have done.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
I would hope that you would have known that that wasn't the intended meaning. The installer that they had on the page wasn't and offline installer. This means that it required an Internet connection to connect to BYOND, download BYOND, install BYOND, download the game, and play it.

That's not a standalone installer by any means, if I was talking about the old installer I would have said so; just as you assumed I knew you were talking about the old installer I assumed you were talking about the installer that's actually relevant to this topic.

Except that you assumed that I knew anything of the installer that you are talking about, which isn't on their download page and as far as I've heard, wasn't actually released yet. Until you posted a link to their forum, I knew not that it was made available.

Anyway, I've seceded to second place. NEStalgia is great, but I hate the people who made it. I have no respect for them, whatsoever, because their attitude towards the other developers is shitty.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
Anyway, I've seceded to second place. NEStalgia is great, but I hate the people who made it. I have no respect for them, whatsoever, because their attitude towards the other developers is shitty.

I'm not sure what universe you're living in - for years now most of my time spent mingling with the BYOND community has been to support quality game development and help other developers. Granted, they're mostly the more mature developers who don't care about pointless pissing contests like who had a standalone version first ;)
Can you all at least -try- to be mature, and not constantly escalate off one another, guys? Thanks.
Deathguard wrote:
Can you all at least -try- to be mature, and not constantly escalate off one another, guys? Thanks.

Word of advice: there really isn't a place for you here in this thread. I know that you're trying to "do your job" as a moderator, but putting your two cents into a conversation that is at worst mildly contentious is just obnoxious.

The old adage "Children should be seen and not heard" is super archaic, but actually works well when describing the job of a forum moderator. Either moderate a thread or don't, but no one wants to hear your opinions. If a thread is so bad that you feel the urge to lecture people (and this one shouldn't even be close) then it's just time for a lock, plain and simple. If you need to ask a person or a group of people to avoid doing something in the future, then that needs to be done via private message.

Based upon the description that comes up when I click on your name, you want people to respect you as a forum mod while still being able to post as a regular user. The only way for you to accomplish that and still be taken seriously as either is to never talk down to people publicly as a moderator and be as invisible as you can with all moderation actions.

Making snarky comments like the one above totally blurs the line between Deathguard the BYONDer and Deathguard the Forum Moderator. If you want other people to be able to make that distinction, then you first need to be able to make it yourself.
I said that it was the first because I didn't know that it wasn't. Had I known, I may not have even made the post, or at least, written it completely different.

My post saying "screw you" was a joke, mainly because I A) had just written the post, and B) don't like you. Really, I don't care whether or not you made one first. The purpose of creating it was served and that's all that I -actually- care about.

My "argument" with Nadrew was merely a semantic dispute, something I enjoy engaging in and every one else becomes pissy about. If none of you can find any humour in the actual language used, then you have probably hanged about BYOND a little too long. Really, I was simply having fun, not trying piss in your cornflakes.

And I didn't say that you don't help the community. In fact, I believe that I agreed that you did. But your attitude is pretty stuck-up, ("We're better than you.") and I really think that you're no better than most of younger developers here, in that regard.

Generally, you can better understand most of my posts if you just picture me laughing hysterically while writing them. For instance: Jono's warning to the thread. I am laughing quite a bit while responding to your long-winded response. Had he access to the older system that allows him to post "as a moderator" (this is a game forum, he can't moderate here anyway), you wouldn't have even said any thing. But instead, you just jump straight to sinking into him your teeth, which are, of course, better than his.
I honestly don't know who you are Hiro, but based on what I've read here I think that I have a pretty good understanding of what your real issues with me are.

Not everything is a competition; I'd even go as far as to say that nothing on BYOND is a competition. All that should matter to you is what you're doing with your own projects. Best of luck to you.
Mind = blown. That is all.
I am beyond words. I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone quite so ... dismissive of everyone else.
Shit is really starting to go down here. I'm so excited I could fart.

Unfortunately "Best of luck to you." sounds like Silk won't be leaving another response. I think he's gone. Dangit, I hate when people leave the argument just when it's getting to the good part!
Has life really gotten that dull for you?
In response to Deathguard
Deathguard wrote:

Sorry what... You are trying to moderate someone else's forum?

If you don't like the way it's going suggest something to Hiro or hide it from the front page...

And yes silkwizard is correct one of you fuckers probably deleted his post.... Or backwards compatibility not working has pushed his final button :)

(edit) yea I "cursed" being someone else's forum I don't see why a mod should edit lock or remove any posts...
Erm, well now, that's an interesting post in itself.

"one of you fuckers probably deleted his post"

What makes you feel that is the case?
In response to Stephen001
I assumed and I don't care whatever the case a mod should have no control over someone else's forum and no influence on the users in the said forum. Except for hiding the post from the front page.
Page: 1 2 3