ID:797785

Keywords: clientgender
Resolved
BYOND Version:495.1136
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 12.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When a user changes their gender multiple times, it is possible for the BYOND pager to get "stuck" reporting an incorrect, previous gender.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Create a new test project containing the code provided below.

2) Compile and run the project and confirm it is reporting the correct gender.

3) Navigate to the Account management section of the site and change your accounts gender.

4) Wait for the BYOND pager to update your client.gender (may take up to 10-20 minutes, and a pager relog.) Run the test project again and confirm weather or not it is reporting the correct gender.

5) Repeat steps 2-3 until client.gender no longer reports the correct gender (of my 5 tests, in 3 out of 5, the issue occurred after 3 gender changes, in the other 2, it occurred after 2 gender changes.

Code Snippet to Reproduce Problem:
mob
Login()
world << "You are a [client.gender]"

Expected Results: For client.gender to consistently report the correct gender.

Actual Results: client.gender can get in an incorrect state where it no longer updates to the users gender preferences.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? It occurred in all 5 of my tests.
In other games? N/A
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes (Windows XP and Windows 7)

When does the problem NOT occur? The problem does not occur when not changing your gender.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) Pending further testing.

Workarounds: I suspect the problem lies in the key.txt in the user directory file, as deleting this file (Or, more specifically, the user's entry in the key.txt file) corrects the problem and client.gender reports the correct gender (until they update it 2 or 3 more times)

I have a partial fix for this, which will update the key and invalidate the locally stored info when your gender changes. However, at present this doesn't get updated locally until your next login. I have future plans for hub changes that will update the key in response to subscription updates, that will be relevant to this issue.
I reported this to Lummox directly a while ago, he said it's not a big issue, and not important to fix or something. :(
Lummox JR resolved issue
I've resolved this issue for the time being because the main problem, that the website was not telling your pager to update the info on the next login, has been addressed.