ID:79861

This issue has been marked as a duplicate of id:81773
BYOND Version:453
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 8.0

This issue has been marked as a duplicate of id:81773
Issue 448

http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=488

This bug still exists, in a way, and my games just dissappeared off of the hub again yet are still being hosted.

I did lose my internet connection however, by un-plugging my network cable, and I did this to test a bug. The fix was to logout and log back in to the BYOND pager, and the games re-appeared on the hub just fine after that.

byond://76.187.40.44:9000
byond://76.187.40.44:9001
If a game disappears off the hub after your connection has been taken out, that's not the same issue. It is something we might be able to address so that the server can try to reestablish a connection with the hub at a later time if it doesn't already do so (more testing would be needed), but it definitely isn't the same thing.
Well, thanks for the info, however, I was saying it was the same, because, actually, with what I am experiencing, when I login, the game re-appears on the hub, but when I logout, it dissappears again. I would have expected that since the bug was fixed, it would not present itself in such a similar manner.

EDIT:It acts the same as that bug after having lost my connection, but rebooting the pager fixes the error, it maybe because a good connection is not re-established however it is still sending data out that updates the hub, but I don't know.
Well, I got an identical to issue 488 now, except for the fact that when i login now, it doesn't re-appear, I would think though if I lost connection over-night, both my games would be off the hub and not just one of them.
I fixed my one game, it seems that capitalization on the password didn't matter in previous versions of byond, and the capitalzation online and in the source did not match, which, I don't know why it broke suddenly in 453, and why it wasn't broken before, but that was the issue.

However, the lost connection problem here is still broken, which could be improved by it trying to re-connect.
If the capitalization was wrong on your hub_password then there was not a match. This is not something that would have appeared in 453; the way hub passwords are handled, there was never a time they were case-insensitive. That means you actually did have the wrong hub_password and your observations up to that point are tainted by the error.

As for the game losing connection on its own, I haven't yet observed this myself so I know of no way to reproduce it. Issue 488 was fixed because it could be reproduced. If you can provide a concrete set of steps to follow that guarantees the game will disappear from the hub, that's something I can investigate.
Lummox JR wrote:
If the capitalization was wrong on your hub_password then there was not a match. This is not something that would have appeared in 453; the way hub passwords are handled, there was never a time they were case-insensitive. That means you actually did have the wrong hub_password and your observations up to that point are tainted by the error.

As for the game losing connection on its own, I haven't yet observed this myself so I know of no way to reproduce it. Issue 488 was fixed because it could be reproduced. If you can provide a concrete set of steps to follow that guarantees the game will disappear from the hub, that's something I can investigate.

Well, however, lummox, not tainted, because I tested in 452 still and 451 and everything, a down-grade is showing case-insensitive working in those versions while 453 failed to work.

Also, I had not compiled the code in forever, months now, and it has always worked before, and even for the bug a few times you even looked for the bug in that game with 452 and it was appearing on the hub just fine, so either it was bugged before and now fixed, or it was never case-sensitive before and is now working properly, regardless of what caused it, it is working OK now, and does not need further looking into unless something is found to be broken later on.
Superbike32 wrote:
Well, however, lummox, not tainted, because I tested in 452 still and 451 and everything, a down-grade is showing case-insensitive working in those versions while 453 failed to work.

What you're describing is completely impossible for several reasons:

1) Hub passwords have never been case-insensitive. They're not even stored in plaintext, so case-insensitivity would only be possible if we had done something like force a lowercase value during .dmb compilation; we never have. At any point after .dmb compilation, case-insensitivity is physically impossible.

2) No changes to hub_password code or to the hub were made for version 453.

3) Had any kind of bug existed it would have been at compile-time, so downgrading and trying the very same world could not have shown case-insensitive behavior in one version and case-sensitive in another without totally recompiling the .dmb each time.

For completeness' sake I ran a test myself in 452. When I host a game with the wrong case for its hub password I can see its raw name in the pager when I look at myself, but it clearly is not being linked to the hub entry proper. When I host the game with the hub password having its proper capitalization, it links to the hub entry as expected. Your observations are in error. QED.

The only question that remains is, do you have a problem getting the game to show up anymore or not? If you do, with the correct capitalization for your hub entry, that could still be a bug worth looking into. If not, then things are good.
Well, I think we both need to stop talking about it.

Programs act differently for weird reasons, so, no matter what the cause, it's fixed in the later version, so, there is no reason to argue over something that got fixed rather than broken.

Even if it is completely un-explained, I would just go with it, and possibly even offer it up as a solution to check the case on the hub-entry password and the password in the code to see if they match, if people come up with hub issues in the future relating to 453.
Superbike32 wrote:
Programs act differently for weird reasons, so, no matter what the cause, it's fixed in the later version, so, there is no reason to argue over something that got fixed rather than broken.

I'm not arguing; I'm explaining. The situation you described is not possible for the reasons I explained, and I confirmed this with testing. You did not see what you thought you saw; any difference in behavior between versions would have been due to something other than the case of the hub password.

What I don't know yet though, and I will repeat the question, is whether you are still experiencing any problems now that the hub password is fixed. If you are not, then there is no bug and this report can be closed.
Actually, this report specifically was about un-plugging the network cable causes the games to dissappear off the hub forever, that is the bug here.

Anyways, the other bug, it doesn't matter what it was caused by, you can stop explaining or arguing, it doesn't matter how it happened, my problem is fixed while using the current version 453, and 453 works as perfectly as needed, so I don't plan on down-grading (also because new features were implemented that I might need to use the new version(s) for anways.), so, the bug, if one existed, does not matter anymore.