ID:79917

Keywords: nestalgia, silkgames
As most of you probably know, the newest Silkgames project "NEStalgia" has been in development for several months now with a couple of rounds of private tests already completed. So I'd like to divulge my thoughts concerning how I think the game is shaping up. Mostly in relation to how the tests have gone, how it relates to other games I've played, and the impact on the BYOND community that I hope that this game brings.

My job as a tester is to basically play through the game and say "hey this isn't working" when bugs crop up and post a little message describing the problem. With a handful of people doing a really good job of thoroughly testing the games' systems in this method, bug fixes and updated versions came out faster than in any other Silkgames project I've worked on before. But the real thrill for me is the progress that has been made in game mechanics. I probably spend more time nit-picking Silk about balance issues with spells and stats than anything else. And these were resolved just as fast as the general bug fixes had been.

It is rare for a game to get a stamp of approval from me when it comes to balance, but this definitely does. Being that the whole concept is about the game playing like an oldschool NES RPG, it's done a pretty fantastic job of achieving that. The four current classes (Soldier, Ranger, Cleric, Wizard) all are incredibly well balanced, with each possessing equal amounts of strengths and weaknesses. Then the strength of monsters and bosses are so far perfectly tooled to just skirt the edge from being neither a cakewalk, nor a grind-fest. A rare trait on any BYOND RPG, including Silk's previous titles.

I've been a big fan of classic console RPG's for most of my life, particularly the Dragon Warrior series, and to a lesser extent the Final Fantasy's. And while this game borrows concepts from the former (my all time favorite series), you can easily see aspects from numerous other titles as well. As I played this I would actually forget that I was playing a game on BYOND instead of an emulator, or even my old NES. But this is better because there is multiplayer! I hadn't actually had that retro feeling while playing a BYOND game since DWO. And while that was a fangame, this is all completely original, which impresses me all the more.

Now lately I've noticed a lack of good new BYOND games, I don't doubt that they exist, but they're few and far between. My favorite retort several years ago when people first started obsessing over Naruto fangames/rips was "wtf is a Naruto?" And that still kind of holds true today (concerning both the obsession of Naruto and my lack of knowledge about what the heck it's about). I don't care if people enjoy this or that anime fangame rip. But back in the days when that community was shoved aside in it's own niche, the system was ripe with far more lively and fun original games and even fangames that weren't based on rips or anime's.

My hope with NEStalgia is that it helps to provide a new (and old) standard for games that are worth being both developed and played in this community. That said, I hope to see a great showing when the game is finally released publicly!

We still have a bit more content to test out privately in the mean time though, so perhaps I'll make another post in the future about how things are progressing.
So... is there any chance that this game would actually be released? Unlike AA?
Yes this game will be released.

AA was just too ambitious of a project. The bug testing seemed like it was never ending, and when it came to content; we hadn't even gotten past the starting area of the game, which was the three zones on the island.

NEStalgia actually has reachable goals, since we already have a large amount of content in the game right now and the majority of the systems are completely finished as well as bug free.

Also in regards to AA- Silk had started his development journal for that game fairly early on in the games development (likely as a means of motivation to work on it). Whereas for NEStalgia he began posting about development when he was quite sure that a public release was a goal he could and would absolutely be able to achieve.
My hope with NEStalgia is that it helps to provide a new (and old) standard for games that are worth being both developed and played in this community.

Amen to that.

I think the key with these original games is to first foster a community outside of BYOND-- promoting the game in its own space and acquiring "NEStalgia players" rather than "BYOND players who play NEStalgia", if you get the difference. We've tried to make it relatively easy to direct new users to a hub page or external app and get them into the game rapidly, and we can always improve on that. Targeting the existing community may be an exercise in frustration, since we are currently saturated with players who don't appreciate original games. Also, sometimes these games require a critical mass of players to get going, so if an external community can fulfill that, they would likely grow more through bandwagoning from the BYOND userbase. I see a lot of really good (mostly older) games that get one or two players and then fizzle out.

Anyway, I don't want to veer this off topic. Best of luck with the game, and when the time comes to promote it, feel free to communicate with us over ways we can help. Silk & I have had our disagreements, but I've always appreciated the games he brought to the community and it sounds like you guys have another winner in the works here.
Jaredoggy wrote:
We still have a bit more content to test out privately in the mean time though, so perhaps I'll make another post in the future about how things are progressing.

This was a really good post - the "feel" of a game is hard to describe, but you've conveyed it clearly and succinctly.

Tom wrote:
I think the key with these original games is to first foster a community outside of BYOND-- promoting the game in its own space and acquiring "NEStalgia players" rather than "BYOND players who play NEStalgia", if you get the difference.

Agreed. DWO's success was built upon this model, and it worked really well for us. We're actually in kind of a similar situation; back then there were absolutely no Dragon Warrior fans on BYOND, so we had to go find them. Nowadays there are virtually no players looking for original games on BYOND, so we'll need to round them up in much the same way.

Tom wrote:
Best of luck with the game, and when the time comes to promote it, feel free to communicate with us over ways we can help. Silk & I have had our disagreements, but I've always appreciated the games he brought to the community and it sounds like you guys have another winner in the works here.

Thank you, I appreciate that. It's also good to know that it is possible to have disagreements with someone on BYOND without automatically becoming permanent mortal enemies.