ID:80013

Descriptive Problem Summary:
When updating byond from the pager I get an Error saying
"BYOND was unable to update all the files in the installation. Ensure that all BYOND applications are closed and that you have permission to write to the BYOND directory (you may need run as Administrator) Alternativly you may manually copy the files from or grab the latest full-installer from http://www.byond.com/download. to
C:\Users\Kayleigh\Documents\BYOND\MyHub\dantom\byond,"

Now before telling me I didnt exit byond I did. I checked to see if anything was running hidden by checking task managers processes list there's nothing.
I'm using my girlfriends vista I hate vista. thats probally the reason.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.)Attempt to update byond using the link provided in the pager
Expected Results:
BYOND to properly update.
Actual Results:
It results in this error, and I have to go to the byond site to fully update BYOND.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Yeah
In other games?N/A
In other user accounts?N/A
On other computers?Unknown

When does the problem NOT occur?
Occured the last time I tried between 451-452 I think those were the versions, and now between 452 and 453
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
Unknown
Are you on an account with administrative privileges?
That doesn't matter falacy, everything on vista has to be run directly as administrator, even on an administrator account, that's how vista gets around on security so that just being logged into the account wont allow some hacker to do whatever he wants.

A work-around is to follow these steps.

1.Close the pager.
2.Right click the icon that you would use to start BYOND.
3.Click the 'Run As Administrator' option, which has to be used even when the account is an administrator.
4.Update BYOND now.

For it to work every time, you would need to right click the icon and choose 'Properties' then under compatibility click 'Run As Administrator', then every time you start it, it will run as administrator, and now updates will always work as expected.

EDIT:Since you are likely to be able to update following these steps this is likely a duplicate of Issue 269. http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=269

The bug was deferred, and usually deferred bugs wont get fixed for a while.

However, I am betting this will gain momentum as more people use vista and windows 7 because they have the same default security enabled.
This link: http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsvistasecurity/archive/2006/08/ 27/windowsvistasecurity-.aspx
Clearly confirms that just being logged in as an admin in Vista is not always enough to satisfy it's security requirements. Furthermore UAC (U)ser (A)ccount (C)ontrol is equally a pain in the rear. This new security model is largely why I still use XP Pro. Not sure how to fix this issue just thought I'd give a link to the explained changes for Vista.

On a side note, I disagree with Microsofts advice in the link I posted in regards to writing a password down. The best password (aside meeting certain complexity requirements) is one which is memorized. Until technology offers mind reading devices this is the safest way to keep a password.
You can always just turn UAC off completely, which any competent computer user would do.
Falacy wrote:
You can always just turn UAC off completely, which any competent computer user would do.

Turning UAC off is not a good idea, while everyone else thinks it's completely useless, it does help with security.

Everyone knows UAC can be annoying sometimes, but, turning off security is always bad, UAC has helped a lot of people out.

While UAC is not near perfect because it produces a UAC most of the time for anything, this is done because it is not a virus scanner or anything like that, so it will spawn a UAC for good programs and bad ones.
Superbike32 wrote:
Turning UAC off is not a good idea, while everyone else thinks it's completely useless, it does help with security.

It does absolutely nothing, it doesn't prevent you from running bad apps in any way, it just spams you with a pop-up before running anything.
In 99% of cases I'd say the moron whose going to install the virus is going to click right past that pop-up anyway.
Falacy wrote:
Superbike32 wrote:

It does absolutely nothing, it doesn't prevent you from running bad apps in any way, it just spams you with a pop-up before running anything.
In 99% of cases I'd say the moron whose going to install the virus is going to click right past that pop-up anyway.

It is not always obvious if whatever they're downloading is a virus, and while granted it doesn't help a lot, given another microsoft tool you can actually see an accumulative of the actions that were needing to be accepted with UAC, with these two combined programs, it became the easiest protection tool by far.

While his computer doughtfully has the tool that shows all what actions got blocked, UAC can still be helpful at that point, even if not very much, even if it only helps him stop one virus, it will still have been worth the 0.1 seconds to click the OK button.