ID:80141

Keywords: fol, update
I do realize that it has been a while, as stated things have been taking a turn for the worst in my personal life, thus hindering my developer's life but I do wish to push on.

With my little time away from working on the game I had come up with a few new ideas I wish to incorporate into the game in place of certain concepts, as well as expressing the remaining necessities before testing.

The combat system itself is still incomplete, and I feel I may have gone too far involved with the stats for my own good, so I'm going to simplify them. No more power or anything bogus like that to worry about. Strength will directly effect melee damage, Body will deal with the damage you receive, Mind will directly effect KI effects, and so on. I feel I bit off more than I (and the byond engine itself) can chew, so I'm going to take a little time simplifying everything before I pick back up on the combat system itself.

This should speed up the process a little and make it less involved and confusing, yet more straightforward and fun. Of course I do still have a lot of work to do with the game, but it will be ready when it is ready. I stopped doing this for myself and tried focusing on doing it for potential players, and that took me off track. I won't rush anything or even try to speed anything along for anyone, but I'll work at my even pace and hope that when it's released people still want to play it. Basically I was working on the game for the weekend updates, and rushing my ideas... I lost a little interest by doing that.

Screenshots will be held off until I actually have something pretty to show, as of now it's just confusing people who stumble upon the game and building up speculation I really don't want yet. If you care about my progress as a developer and maybe some aspects of the game then this is the blog for you, if not then haunt the hub entry until it's available :).

Concept
As I started the game I was working around an equipment system being the basis of stats for the game, which I eventually realized didn't really make sense for the category and people would be pissed if they had to wear a certain clashing combination of clothing just to have their stats where they want them. Gear as of now will simply be cosmetic for the most part.

In place of gear will be this idea I've had for some time now, Training Slots. Initially you will start out with one slot, which would hold place for exchangeable card-like items based on your style and/or race. As you level you'd get more of these slots, and the objects themselves would contain stats or passive effects that directly effect your character. In the future I would probably have up to 3 different types of these slots where only corresponding cards would fit.

It's still a rough concept but I like it better than the gear idea. Say you do a quest line based on gravity training, at the end there would be a choice of training cards that explain and represent the level of your gravity training, or you train under a master for a quest line. The ideas are very open-ended and should provide a good outcome.

I hope to have more updates in the future, but please realize that this is just a self-fulfilling project, and having players when it's ready is only the perks of it.
Sounds awesome.

Do you have any estimated date on the game release?
Andre-g1 wrote:
Sounds awesome.

He said that there would be open testing near the end of June.

I'd say about 2012
Rugg wrote:
Andre-g1 wrote:
Sounds awesome.

He said that there would be open testing near the end of June.

I'd say about 2012

Unless he ends up losing his source, or his computer just wipes it self of everything.
I'm almost sure he already lost the source before, and had to redo the entire game.
Rugg wrote:
I'm almost sure he already lost the source before, and had to redo the entire game.

He did lose it, then ended up finding or remaking the game back to where it was. Either way time is time.
"I feel I bit off more than I (and the byond engine itself) can chew."

wat?
As stated it'll be ready when it's ready, I did plan on open testing but life kicked in and made things difficult.

As for the comment about the BYOND engine, it's not very easy to sync things in an online environment that work in real time. With the methods I approached the combat system before, latency would prove to be a real pain.

And yes I lost the source when my old computer's HD kicked the bucket, this time I've been emailing myself backups.

I don't know when there will be any official release, it all depends on how things play out in the future. I wouldn't say it'll take 3 years but it certainly won't be this month.

If you read this post at all, you would've noticed I stated that with all the speculation this game concept brought, I lost focus of my priorities and tried to tag every weekend with an update. Starting this time around it won't be that way, if you can't patiently wait for me to finish this and follow me along the way, then there are always other sources of entertainment out there. I am creating this game for myself and solely for myself, if others with to play it when I release it then that's fine with me, if not I really won't be that disappointed.
The Naked Ninja wrote:
it's not very easy to sync things in an online environment that work in real time. With the methods I approached the combat system before, latency would prove to be a real pain.

It wont be pixel perfect but it's good enough to have a competent battle engine. All online games deal with latency issues, though on BYOND the visual aspects are more noticable.
SuperAntx wrote:
The Naked Ninja wrote:
it's not very easy to sync things in an online environment that work in real time. With the methods I approached the combat system before, latency would prove to be a real pain.

It wont be pixel perfect but it's good enough to have a competent battle engine. All online games deal with latency issues, though on BYOND the visual aspects are more noticable.

Yeah and it just wasn't working the way I wanted it to with my combat system as it was. I suppose that system would be more ideal for a single player game, but I can alter it just enough to hopefully work well in an online environment.
Wise decision. I'll be keeping an eye out for your blogs.
Wise decision. I'll be keeping an eye out for your penis.
Lol at Afro. Anyway, Awesome.

Can't wait till release.
Can't wait. :D