Now, since I find the idea interesting, I want to gather information on how the community sees the possibilities of such a project.
Basically, the idea is to provide a shared server that can be freely used by certain competent game makers. As most developers on BYOND lack resources (including monetary), there are games that might see more activity (and thus an increased fan-base) if they would be hosted on a more frequent base.
It might be a far fetch, but it could be one additional step to feature original games, instead of spreading the player-base out on various low quality games.
I doubt (and don't think) that BYOND would (should) take the venture, because of the financial risk and the immense workload involved (imagine the spam by 'programmers' wanting to get a free slot), but a private person/group should have less trouble, if the concept is well planned.
My suggestion would be the following:
- Start out by compiling a list of 'reasonable programmers' that be granted a slot in such an open-server
- Assemble a team to operate the server (money and access wise)
- Contact one of the BYOND hosting companies and negotiate on a somewhat decent server
- Collect donations in advance and come up with a detailed service description (esp. what would be strictly forbidden)
- Talk to Tom and query if such a service could have a little payback through referrals
Feedback and voting would be most welcome.
Thank you in advance!
P.S.: Please keep things civil.