Tiberath wrote:
Stupot wrote:
Limiting the game to a certain number of players isn't something that can easily be handled by the server itself (if at all).

I don't think it's impossible to limit the number of active connections to a single port.

No, it most certainly isn't impossible, but it's not going to be something that is bundled in with the OS be default. That's what I was trying to get across. I may be wrong, but I would think that something would have to be written in order to handle that correctly.
http://vpsland.com offers some great cheap computers that support BYOND hosting. I'm using a windows one with 512 mb of ram...I could easily upgrade the server and host a few more games on it for a small price..?
Stupot wrote:
No, it most certainly isn't impossible, but it's not going to be something that is bundled in with the OS be default. That's what I was trying to get across. I may be wrong, but I would think that something would have to be written in order to handle that correctly.

I don't think so. Something like that can be handled by IPTABLES I think.
Axerob wrote:
http://vpsland.com offers some great cheap computers that support BYOND hosting. I'm using a windows one with 512 mb of ram...I could easily upgrade the server and host a few more games on it for a small price..?

Hrmmm.. nobody mentioned these guys when I was asking about it a few weeks back. I was looking for a dedicated Windows server that supported running BYOND and other applications (.net framework). I'll check these guys out.

Thanks,
ts
Axerob wrote:
I'm using a windows one with 512 mb of ram...I could easily upgrade the server and host a few more games on it for a small price..?

That is a nice offer, however, Windows has never (and likely will never) be a good choice for a server, given the fact that it is too bloated up and simply was never designed for multi user access like *nix.

You're paying 18$ (or 24) a month, where you'd get more RAM for less money at ATPDevelopment.

I really appreciate the offer, but there are too many (monetary and BYOND hosting compatibility with Windows) issues.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Axerob wrote:
I'm using a windows one with 512 mb of ram...I could easily upgrade the server and host a few more games on it for a small price..?

That is a nice offer, however, Windows has never (and likely will never) be a good choice for a server, given the fact that it is too bloated up and simply was never designed for multi user access like *nix.

You're paying 18$ (or 24) a month, where you'd get more RAM for less money at ATPDevelopment.

I really appreciate the offer, but there are too many (monetary and BYOND hosting compatibility with Windows) issues.

To be fair...
1 bug which will most likely get fixed does not warrant the statement of "compatibility" issues.

I went to ATPDevelopment and the site looks extremely unprofessional not to mention, "Webserver Error: Please check back soon." when viewing package information.

After reading "How we do it", I see that it's run/owned by BYOND folks which is neat. I'll check it out later and see if the site works properly.

Until then, the options look limited, the system access looks limited(?), the resources look limited, no DB access (SQL server)(?), and no running custom .exe(framework or otherwise)(?). Again, it's hard to know for sure if these statements are accurate at this time.

I'm not trying to do shared hosting of games so my needs are a little bit different and off topic I suppose. Although I am in the market for getting a byond hostable server.

At this time, VPSLand is the most affordable and compatible (windows-byond) service I have seen to date.

ts

Tsfreaks wrote:
1 bug which will most likely get fixed does not warrant the statement of "compatibility" issues.

If you did read the bug-report, yes, it does and no it won't likely get fixed anywhere near soon.
Under windows, shutdown does not close the DreamDaemon instance.
Which means that whenever you spawn of a new server under windows with startup, you get stuck with a resource hogging beast.
Given the fact that Lummox JR mentioned the difficulty of the debugging session, I would guess that we won't see that one attended in the next few month.
Which means, when you're using startup/shutdown under Windows, you are wasting RAM, something you pay for, or in other words, you are directly wasting money.

Tsfreaks wrote:
I went to ATPDevelopment and the site looks extremely unprofessional not to mention, "Webserver Error: Please check back soon." when viewing package information.

Airjoe is aware of this, but, as you could read in the 'How we do it section', it is not meant to thrive in money, which means the project does not run on first priority.

Tsfreaks wrote:
After reading "How we do it", I see that it's run/owned by BYOND folks which is neat. I'll check it out later and see if the site works properly.

I would not judge the server and it's administration by the page in this case.
Though I am well aware that this would be a natural choice to do, Airjoe could likely sack both you and me together hands down, when it comes to knowledge of both programming and Linux/hosting/servers ;)

Tsfreaks wrote:
Until then, the options look limited, the system access looks limited(?), the resources look limited, no DB access (SQL server)(?), and no running custom .exe(framework or otherwise)(?). Again, it's hard to know for sure if these statements are accurate at this time.

You get SSH, FTP and game panel access, as from what I could read.
For the project mentioned here, this is more than enough and I do not know what more you'd be looking for.
CPanel?
SSH should grant you all you need at far, far less resource cost than the Windows GUI.

But I would suggest you contact and suggest ATPDevelopment directly ;)

Tsfreaks wrote:
I'm not trying to do shared hosting of games so my needs are a little bit different and off topic I suppose.

Indeed ;)

Tsfreaks wrote:
At this time, VPSLand is the most affordable and compatible (windows-byond) service I have seen to date.

I'm a bit biased here.
I (together with 99% of the server administrators ;)) would say that hosting under Windows is like racing with an SUV.
Their Linux offers look kind of nice though, but have a hard time comparing to a non-profit organisation specifically developed around BYOND ;)
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Axerob wrote:

I'm paying 51 every 3 months, and as I said they have linux builds there, so I could easily set one up, but I'd definatly need some donations for that since i have a limited amount of money.

So write a little five minute .exe killer that closes the DreamDaemon and shell() out your own ShutDown call as needed. Done.

As to everything else... ok. Different strokes for different folks.

ts
Tsfreaks wrote:
So write a little five minute .exe killer that closes the DreamDaemon and shell() out your own ShutDown call as needed. Done.

As to everything else... ok. Different strokes for different folks.

ts

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Killing DreamDaemon....
TASKKILL /F /IM "dreamdaemon.exe"
ECHO DreamDaemon Killed.
PAUSE
EXIT

Easy as pie? o.o (Usin Batch file..)
Tsfreaks wrote:

As Schnitzelnagler said (and a thank you, for explaining in my absence!), this project makes no profit. Thus, we tend to be preoccupied with other things (for instance, I have a 20 credit semester at Univeristy). The website for the service is not my primary concern; if something goes wrong with a game being hosted, I'm around, but I don't have the time to make the website super pretty, etc.

Until then, the options look limited,

In what way?

the system access looks limited(?)

SSH, FTP, and a custom web panel for game control.

the resources look limited, no DB access (SQL server)(?),

If you want a website, go with a webhost. No need to bloat a server with a sql server when it's not necessary. ATP is cheap because we provide BYOND hosting, not a million other things only a few users need.

and no running custom .exe(framework or otherwise)(?).

Linux does not run .exe. Nevermind that though, because as per above, there is no need for a custom framework. If you want to host BYOND games, host BYOND games. If you want a website, use a web host. If you want a custom framework, go find someone that will let you do it.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't like a camera, mp3 player, etc in my cell phone. I want a cell phone. Because of that, I get really inexpensive cell phones. I apply this philosophy to ATP Development hosting. It's great for some people, and I'm happy for them. If it doesn't work for you, there are other, more expensive options available, and best of luck with them.
Airjoe wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:

As Schnitzelnagler said (and a thank you, for explaining in my absence!), this project makes no profit. Thus, we tend to be preoccupied with other things (for instance, I have a 20 credit semester at Univeristy). The website for the service is not my primary concern; if something goes wrong with a game being hosted, I'm around, but I don't have the time to make the website super pretty, etc.

Until then, the options look limited,

In what way?

the system access looks limited(?)

SSH, FTP, and a custom web panel for game control.

the resources look limited, no DB access (SQL server)(?),

If you want a website, go with a webhost. No need to bloat a server with a sql server when it's not necessary. ATP is cheap because we provide BYOND hosting, not a million other things only a few users need.

and no running custom .exe(framework or otherwise)(?).

Linux does not run .exe. Nevermind that though, because as per above, there is no need for a custom framework. If you want to host BYOND games, host BYOND games. If you want a website, use a web host. If you want a custom framework, go find someone that will let you do it.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't like a camera, mp3 player, etc in my cell phone. I want a cell phone. Because of that, I get really inexpensive cell phones. I apply this philosophy to ATP Development hosting. It's great for some people, and I'm happy for them. If it doesn't work for you, there are other, more expensive options available, and best of luck with them.

First off, I didn't mean any offense by my comments. It's an awesome service for byond devs and at that price, what more could anyone ask for. Obviously I have some different stuff in mind and I didn't mean to "bash" on you or the site.

and... while I'm off topic and causing grief for myself...

I checked out the vpsland some more and wanted to comment briefly since they were brought up in this thread.

In short, they have a ton of bad reviews online. Check them out before you blindly jump in. Getting support is apparently like trying to get a refund on your "Wow Gold" purchase and while they are the correct people, they don't know what "Wow Gold" is.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get a static IP and buy a dedicated server. If my service provider complains at some point, I may upgrade to a business account or jump back into the find a decent host game.

I don't see why they would ever complain though. We have 5 pc's and several game consoles going nearly all hours of the day. Night time could be an issue though... hrmm. Anyway... if anyone is interested in this off topic stuff, lets move it over to a new thread in the dev forum. Notify me if you do. Until then... (bows out).

ts
Tsfreaks wrote:
First off, I didn't mean any offense by my comments. It's an awesome service for byond devs and at that price, what more could anyone ask for. Obviously I have some different stuff in mind and I didn't mean to "bash" on you or the site.

Yep, I definitely understood that, and sorry if my comments came off that way, too. The internet has a way of twisting words :P

I checked out the vpsland some more and wanted to comment briefly since they were brought up in this thread.

In short, they have a ton of bad reviews online. Check them out before you blindly jump in. Getting support is apparently like trying to get a refund on your "Wow Gold" purchase and while they are the correct people, they don't know what "Wow Gold" is.

I dunno, I haven't had any problems with support, they've actually been pretty helpful.
Ok im be blunt about this, i need help, i keep getting a message each time i click my byond " Byond.exe has generated erros and will be closed by windows, an error log is being created" Please help me i tryed to uninstal it and re instal it like 20 times and its not working, if you could please reply back with some advice?
Ryanmcshain wanna be wrote:
Ok im be blunt about this, i need help

Great.
In that case, I'll be blunt as well.
There is a forum for this sort of issue, namely BYOND Help Software Problems.
Use the template that you're going to be provided with, describe the problem as detailed as possible, which means, it is best if you include the error log, for example.

Page: 1 2 3