Action RPG Framework

by Forum_account
Action RPG Framework
A framework for developing action RPGs.
ID:811602

When setting Frames delay why does most people set them to 0.XX?
Are you talking about the delay in animated icon states? A frame delay of 1 means "1 tenth of a second", which gives you an animation that runs at 10 frames per second. If you want an animation that runs faster, you need to make the delay smaller. A delay of 0.5 gives you a 20 fps animation and a delay of 0.25 gives you a 40 fps animation.
o ok so does it also depends on world.fps?
Yes and no. A delay of 0.25 is always 1/40th of a second regardless of the value of world.fps. But, the reason I choose a value of 0.25 is because the game's framerate is 40 fps. I'm not sure how BYOND handles animations that don't match the game's framerate so I make them match just in case.
ok thnks and when i asked about the pixel movement not being smooth is just my Frame Rate in icon? because currently my icon movement state is set to 2 which sometime end up finishing the frame display quicker then the player steps.
If you're using the Pixel Movement library (which the framework does use) it changes your mob's icon state to the moving animation for as long as you're moving. The animation will continue to loop while you're moving, it won't play once for each step you take.

The animation speed might make movement look better or worse, but it shouldn't make it look laggy or choppy. Also, if the animation speed was the cause, it'd look bad when run locally too.