ID:813804
 
I got bored and decided to try my hand at pixel art. I spent a few hours creating a humanoid figure on a 800x600 canvas and then decorated it. I would like some C&C.

Please remember that I am an extreme newbie at this. No, I am not asking you to sugarcoat your criticisms - I am just saying that I might not understand some of them.

Shading was by far the hardest part for me. I tried to consistently keep my light source above and slightly behind the person, but I'm sure there are discrepancies in places.



Note: Right click and open it in a new tab for the most detail.
Not bad Albro1. It's good to start on smaller pieces of work if you're a beginner, and not jump into big pieces such as these.


A few things to take note of.

-There's a few places that should have light but doesn't. Be consistent with your light source.

-Clean your lines up! They're dirty and jaggedy.(Derek Yu's tutorial goes over that.)

-Your colors need more contrast. Your shadow color is WAY TO LIGHT. Your medium color is almost the same color as your highlight.

-A few anatomical(idk if this is a word) errors but I'm sure someone else could help you with that.

A couple links to some tutorials that would do you great help:

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218 Derek Yu's tutorial. Pretty decent.

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/ Marks' tutorial
This wouldn't really categorize as pixel art, it's more like a drawing made in paint. There's thick lines, pixel art would have you go over every line to make sure its perfect, most of the pixels in a piece would be worked over. The size is also really large, you can make large pixel art pieces, but the detail has to be very fine tuned.
In response to Megablaze (#2)
Megablaze wrote:
This wouldn't really categorize as pixel art, it's more like a drawing made in paint. There's thick lines, pixel art would have you go over every line to make sure its perfect, most of the pixels in a piece would be worked over. The size is also really large, you can make large pixel art pieces, but the detail has to be very fine tuned.

I believe the fact that I used the pencil tool and made this pixel-by-pixel classifies it as pixel art, no?
In response to Megablaze (#2)
Megablaze wrote:
This wouldn't really categorize as pixel art, it's more like a drawing made in paint. There's thick lines, pixel art would have you go over every line to make sure its perfect, most of the pixels in a piece would be worked over. The size is also really large, you can make large pixel art pieces, but the detail has to be very fine tuned.

It is in fact pixel art. It's just dirty and not cleaned up, which I explained in my post above. A few artist usually clean up lines while shading or before they shade.

In response to Albro1 (#3)
Albro1 wrote:
I believe the fact that I used the pencil tool and made this pixel-by-pixel classifies it as pixel art, no?

Using a pencil tool doesn't constitute pixel art, and it really doesn't look like you made it pixel by pixel, it looks at lot like you just clicked and dragged to make lines. You should go over every pixel along the line and make sure it should be there, for the most part you want single pixel lines, unless your doing anti-aliasing, then you use multiple shades along the line. Since there isn't a lot of detail, most of the shading could be considered pixel art, but most of the time with giant pieces, you have many shades to use.
In response to Megablaze (#5)
Megablaze wrote:
Using a pencil tool doesn't constitute pixel art

This part confuses me; how much space is filled when you click on the canvas with the pencil tool?

My point is although I did not clean it up, this was made pixel-by-pixel. I will gladly accept criticism such as Chaorace's, but saying that this isn't pixel art is downright untrue.
In response to Albro1 (#6)
Albro1 wrote:
This part confuses me; how much space is filled when you click on the canvas with the pencil tool?

My point is although I did not clean it up, this was made pixel-by-pixel. I will gladly accept criticism such as Chaorace's, but saying that this isn't pixel art is downright untrue.

I'm not trying to offend you, but you'd be hard pressed to find a skilled pixel artists to consider this pixel art. Cleaning lines is part of pixel art. If you make a regular drawing, you draw every line, the only difference between that and this picture, is that you don't have any auto anti aliasing with your tool. Your like in between pixel art and regular art.
In response to Megablaze (#7)
Megablaze wrote:
I'm not trying to offend you, but you'd be hard pressed to find a skilled pixel artists to consider this pixel art. Cleaning lines is part of pixel art. If you make a regular drawing, you draw every line, the only difference between that and this picture, is that you don't have any auto anti aliasing with your tool. Your like in between pixel art and regular art.

Well, it was my fault for not mentioning that this is a WIP. Sorry, hopefully that will probably change the tone of this quite a bit. I am planning on cleaning the lines up, as Chaorace suggested. You were saying that it was not pixel art because the lines are jaggy and you thought I was done. My apologies.
In response to Megablaze (#7)
Megablaze wrote:

I'm not trying to offend you, but you'd be hard pressed to find a skilled pixel artists to consider this pixel art. Cleaning lines is part of pixel art. If you make a regular drawing, you draw every line, the only difference between that and this picture, is that you don't have any auto anti aliasing with your tool. Your like in between pixel art and regular art.

This is infact pixel art. A lot of artist drag a line to get a rough sketch of there art and clean up later. I don't know any artist who would go one click at a time on a piece this large. It is pixel art either way you look at it. Just because he might of clicked and dragged is saying this isn't pixel art. That's like saying using the paint bucket tool isnt part of pixel art because it fills in an area in one-click. There's no difference between filling in an area with the paint bucket tool, then filling in the area by yourself click by click with the same color. The tool is more convenient and that's why it's there. So if you categorize this piece as not being pixel art because he drew it instead of click by click, then your view of what is and isn't pixel art is way off.
Sadly, i wouldn't call this pixel art even if it's drawn by a pencil tool on paint. the point of pixel art is pushing pixels in the right places and making it look organized. What i actually call this is oekaki, japanese doodling/scribbling. It's a form of style that resembles like pixel art.
In response to Mesmerise (#10)
Mesmerise wrote:
Sadly, i wouldn't call this pixel art even if it's drawn by a pencil tool on paint. the point of pixel art is pushing pixels in the right places and making it look organized. What i actually call this is oekaki, japanese doodling/scribbling. It's a form of style that resembles like pixel art.

Albro1 wrote:
I am planning on cleaning the lines up, as Chaorace suggested.
In response to Mesmerise (#10)
Mesmerise wrote:
Sadly, i wouldn't call this pixel art even if it's drawn by a pencil tool on paint. the point of pixel art is pushing pixels in the right places and making it look organized. What i actually call this is oekaki, japanese doodling/scribbling. It's a form of style that resembles like pixel art.

Lol, shit I feel stupid now. But this is true, the stage your art is in is actually Oekaki. It's close enough for me to still count as pixel art in my book though since they're very similar. Anyways let's stay on topic, just clean your lines up first before you shade Albro, or while your shading.
In response to Chaorace (#9)
Chaorace wrote:
This is infact pixel art. A lot of artist drag a line to get a rough sketch of there art and clean up later. I don't know any artist who would go one click at a time on a piece this large. It is pixel art either way you look at it. Just because he might of clicked and dragged is saying this isn't pixel art. That's like saying using the paint bucket tool isnt part of pixel art because it fills in an area in one-click. There's no difference between filling in an area with the paint bucket tool, then filling in the area by yourself click by click with the same color. The tool is more convenient and that's why it's there. So if you categorize this piece as not being pixel art because he drew it instead of click by click, then your view of what is and isn't pixel art is way off.

This is why I don't C&C. I never said he couldn't use fill, that's a stupid thing to say, nor did I say he couldn't drag his lines, but if it's like that and he displays it as pixel art, it isn't. If he stated it was a mock-up or a sketch, then the term wouldn't matter, if you posted this anywhere displaying it as pixel art, it isn't. He asked for C&C I said it as it is, it isn't pixel art, don't whine, I just told him what it was. Feel free to study some pixel art to see the difference, pixel joint might help.

@Albro1:
You made no inclination that this was a WIP, so don't complain saying I assumed wrong.

[Edit]: (Because I feel like arguing but not wasting post space)
Chaorace wrote:
Lol, shit I feel stupid now. But this is true, the stage your art is in is actually Oekaki.
Oekaki isn't an art stage, it's a style.
In response to Megablaze (#13)
Megablaze wrote:
@Albro1:
You made no inclination that this was a WIP, so don't complain saying I assumed wrong.


Please reread my post, as I was not complaining. I pointed out that I made the mistake of not mentioning it, and then pointed out the obvious fact that you assumed I was done. I admitted to my mistake and apologized for it, I don't know where you got this ridiculous notion of complaining.
In response to Megablaze (#13)
Megablaze wrote:
Chaorace wrote:
This is infact pixel art. A lot of artist drag a line to get a rough sketch of there art and clean up later. I don't know any artist who would go one click at a time on a piece this large. It is pixel art either way you look at it. Just because he might of clicked and dragged is saying this isn't pixel art. That's like saying using the paint bucket tool isnt part of pixel art because it fills in an area in one-click. There's no difference between filling in an area with the paint bucket tool, then filling in the area by yourself click by click with the same color. The tool is more convenient and that's why it's there. So if you categorize this piece as not being pixel art because he drew it instead of click by click, then your view of what is and isn't pixel art is way off.

This is why I don't C&C. I never said he couldn't use fill, that's a stupid thing to say, nor did I say he couldn't drag his lines, but if it's like that and he displays it as pixel art, it isn't. If he stated it was a mock-up or a sketch, then the term wouldn't matter, if you posted this anywhere displaying it as pixel art, it isn't. He asked for C&C I said it as it is, it isn't pixel art, don't whine, I just told him what it was. Feel free to study some pixel art to see the difference, pixel joint might help.
I never said you said he couldn't use fill. I merely used it as an example. Trust me, I've done a fair share of studying art and I'm experienced. I'm not whining either. It is Oekaki and it is easily confused to be Pixel art. Simple error a lot of people make. I bet you didn't know it was Oekaki either. Anyways, I'll give you more C+C once you post an updated version Albro.


No need to argue what this is, it is pixel art (in progress). Use anti-aliasing to smooth out the outline, and other factors, as well as cleaning up the lines.
A really quick edit of your anime humanoid



As said above, alot of lines are jaggy and uncontrolled you also dont have colors that have actual use, the 3 shades of the skin are too close to another so they dont really make any impact on the actual picture itself

The proportions of your picture are also not really humanoid, especially the face is really deformed and not symetrical, the lighting that you've put on his jaw determined the lighting to come from behind (no Z influence)

You should really do smaller stuff since you have more control, once you are more experienced and pixeled for a decade or so, you can go to this size :)
In response to Elk Darkshire (#17)
Elk Darkshire wrote:
A really quick edit of your anime humanoid



As said above, alot of lines are jaggy and uncontrolled you also dont have colors that have actual use, the 3 shades of the skin are too close to another so they dont really make any impact on the actual picture itself

The proportions of your picture are also not really humanoid, especially the face is really deformed and not symetrical, the lighting that you've put on his jaw determined the lighting to come from behind (no Z influence)

You should really do smaller stuff since you have more control, once you are more experienced and pixeled for a decade or so, you can go to this size :)

Like the edit, a lot. Albro, I probably should've told you to do something smaller. Go off this edit, it'll help you a lot.

If you need anymore help, just message me. I'm home finally, lol.
In the edit, a lot of the muscle form and tone was removed. The shading is more accurate, but the body is actually changed considerably.

Although, things like the face look much better in the edit.
Page: 1 2