ID:817458

BYOND Version:498
Operating System:Windows XP Pro x64
Web Browser:Chrome 26.0.1410.64
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I've played Space Station 13 before and it worked fine, but after a long absence I have returned to encounter a major graphical issue which prevents me from playing the game. All graphics (not what's outside of the game window) including the GUI keep flickering and I am unable to see much at all besides blackness and a brief flicker of a piece of the game.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue or knows how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The character creation and intro screen do not flicker, strangely.

http://tinypic.com/r/knm7p/6
I am also experiencing this problem at the current ,but i can see chat boxes just not the game itself.
Hi Draulius and Kyte,

Can you try turning off hardware rendering mode and see if that fixes the problem?

To disable hardware rendering mode: Open the BYOND pager > File > Preferences > Games > uncheck the box marked "Use graphics hardware for displaying maps. > OK > Try reconnecting to the game.

If this does correct the problem, you should be fine to continue playing games in "software-rendering mode" However, you may consider upgrading your version of DirectX and see if that corrects the problem when using hardware- rendering mode.

Good luck!
Actually right before you said that i went and did it and that did work but thank you anyways :) i was coming back to tell Draulius.
Which version of BYOND are you using? I'm curious if this is due to the new use of DX9, which is from 494 onward. If you try version 493 (http://www.byond.com/download/build/493), does that work in hardware mode?
I am getting the same problem and can confirm that 493 works without flickering in hardware mode BUT byond in general has some interesting issues on both my computers such as delayed graphic fill-in which causes framerate hiccups everytime I move outside the currently rendered screen in SpaceStation 13 (I only experience this effect while on one particular ISP). I can also confirm it does work on Intel Integrated HD Graphics 3000 on my laptop. So there's some kind of problem with Nvidia graphics cards and Byond either to do with drivers or specific cards.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810
Memory: 2x2GB DDR2 RAM (checked with Memtest, confirmed good)
GFX Card Affected: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 216 running 296.10 drivers.
Sound Card: Rocketfish 5.1 Channel Surround Card running with only driver update it received
I am having the exact same problems since updating, turning off hardware rendering fixed it but makes the game look terrible.

[Your version of dreamseeker is too out of date, update.]
[OH HUD FLICKERING-AWFUL WHAT IS THIS I CAN'T EVEN PLAY]

Here is my DXDIAG: http://pastebin.com/ijBpFe0L

Also telling me to 'update DirectX' is not helpful since that would require that I purchase an inferior operating system to Windows XP. I am using Byond v.496.1145. I can use 463 but it won't let connect to certain servers because it's too far out of date.
I mean Windows XP should probably still be supported if it isn't considering 1/4 of the world's computers are still running it, making it the second most popular OS. Yeah and software rendering is not a solution, it's a workaround that sacrifices all enjoyment of a game.
If version 493 works, the issue is with the usage of DX9 vs DX8. At worst, I can probably set it up to fallback on DX8 if we can auto-detect the problem (or just through a configuration). However, I'm hoping it's just something we have incorrectly setup in the DX9. We'll probably need to do some private testing with you.
One thing that would be helpful to know is whether this happens on every BYOND game. If not, then we'd have to figure out what SS13 is doing that is different. It's not a problem universal to XP, as I have tested various games on an XP box and don't see the issue.
In response to Tom
It sounds a lot like this. I've yet to see it myself, but I don't play much.

http://www.byond.com/members/ Enigmaster2002?command=view_post&comment=2657573 also describes some graphical issues with newer builds of BYOND.
I'm happy to help Tom, just tell me what you need doing. I'll be checking this thread until its fixed. I'll test some random games and post back in a while.
---------------------
Ok, I've tested a few games on byond and most are unplayable due to the flickering graphics glitch, I completely uninstalled byond and deleted the my documents/byond folder as well. Installed a fresh copy of 496.1145. The HUD and icons/map appear briefly every few seconds and then it flickers to blackness. The text/html side of the screen has no issues.

Dungeon Master by Ginseng - flickering, unplayable.

Rise Of the Pirates by Pride Ravanok - flickering, unplayable.

Eternia Roleplay by Writing A New One, works normally.

Dead World by Darker Emerald - blackscreen after character creation, unplayable.

RP Unlimited by AnthonyHawkina - works normally.

NEStalgia by Silk Games - blackscreen, unplayable.

Sigrogana Legend by Devourer of Souls - minor graphics glitch in character creation, otherwise playable.
It may be that the cases that work are using transparent windowing, forcing the game into software mode.

Anyway, I'm sure this is something in the DX9 initialization, so we'll play with that and get back to you for some testing.
tom i have tried to get to the byond pager but i can't find what and where that is.