I'm curious:
world.map_format
Does that mean you can only have one style of map at a time? I guess I don't quite understand it yet..
SuperAntx wrote:
I wonder what it would have been like to hear news about the discovery of an entire new continent.

Probably crazy new ideas like "I wonder what else could be out there." That would cause people to circumnavigate the earth, which did occur pretty soon after.
And then we went to the moon, and we will be going to Mars eventually. Human exploration = funsies.
Yes, the map format is only going to be one form or another. While I could almost see allowing this to differ on a client-by-client basis, the icons used between the two formats are totally different. Obviously an isometric icon wouldn't look right in a top-down format, or vice-versa.
just one more thing, this going to be a little bit more challenging for coders and iconners, and mappers, right? because atm everything is too simple. xD
The only real challenge should be in the artwork. The programming will be the same as ever, except for a few new vars that make this possible. If you had isometric versions of the icons all ready to go, you could convert an existing RPG (for example) to isometric with just two lines of code.
ShadowKnight06 wrote:
just one more thing, this going to be a little bit more challenging for coders and iconners, and mappers, right? because atm everything is too simple. xD

This shouldn't be a concern at all. The easier it is to use the tools to make a good game, the more likely people are going to use it.
Do me a favor make a better guide for coding/iconning/mapping/animating ju know cuz uh i really wanna make my own icons but i can't figure out how to do it
Tiberath wrote:
ShadowKnight06 wrote:

This shouldn't be a concern at all. The easier it is to use the tools to make a good game, the more likely people are going to use it.

i didnt really say it should be something people should concern about, just a wondering question waiting to be asked lol
Interesting.
That Would be Awsome for a Board Game.
It reminds me of Sims metropolis.
argh, sims are so gay now...and board games are basically all done lol

we need new stuff...
A question regarding world.icon_size:
Will it be possible to define an icon size such as "24x32"( meaning: can the dimensions of the icon be asymmetric? )? Also, will you be able to define world.icon_size both as text, and as integer value, like world.view or client.view?
Metamorphman wrote:
Will it be possible to define an icon size such as "24x32"?

Yes.

Also, will you be able to define world.icon_size both as text, and as integer value, like world.view or client.view?

No idea.
"icon_size var (world)
See also:
map_format var (world)
Default value:
This is the tile size that will be used as a default for icons in the world. It can be set to a single number that represents both the width and height, or you can use a format like "[width]x[height]" (such as "16x48") to specify width and height separately.

This value affects several calculations, including icon operations and gliding between turfs.
"

Found the 455 docs, answered my question for myself :D
I have a suggestion for the Byond Update, Ok just picture this while you read. "Your typing a paper and oops made a error, So you press the F7 button to fix it for you, There error solved." The Byond Staff should add a auto error detector, When game makers like myself are making, Editing and/or Fixing code problems. Instead of trying to fix the error yourself, It does it for you, by pressing a certain button(s)
Ishani937 wrote:
I have a suggestion for the Byond Update, Ok just picture this while you read. "Your typing a paper and oops made a error, So you press the F7 button to fix it for you, There error solved." The Byond Staff should add a auto error detector, When game makers like myself are making, Editing and/or Fixing code problems. Instead of trying to fix the error yourself, It does it for you, by pressing a certain button(s)

DM should be able to interpret brain signals and code my game for me.
If they were able to do that, forget hitting F7, just have it do it automatically when you compile.

Unfortunately, it can't be done because the semantics of what constitutes an error are beyond the ability of the computer to determine. Was that really a typo you made, or is it a variable or procedure you were going to add later?
I would really like to know the dimension restrictions (lowest to highest) for map tiles in the soon to be new release. I am making isometric tiles for my game and I would really like to know this before I am told my restrictions are horribly off and unusable with this update. 32x40 will be possible?
The upper limit for tile size is 256, so you should never run into it. There is no lower limit except that you can't go below 1; however for sanity's sake it's highly recommended that you avoid a 1x1 tile. 32x40 will be possible.

If you're going to use the new isometric mode, you should use an icon width that's a multiple of 4. 64 pixels wide is usually a good choice.
Ok thank you, especially for the fast response!

Just one last question, will it be released sometime approximately before the end of this year? I am just curious before I get too anxious and start to make an isometric-like system with DM programming. Of course, that's ok too, but I prefer to just use the new system for production purposes. :)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7