ID:818242

Not a bug
BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 19.0.1084.56
Applies to:Website

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
On the forum's front page, any post about a library, demo, or game always says "by [game's author]" below the title instead of "by [most recent commenter]".

I don't think this was always the case and it's been this way for a while, so I'm expecting I'll be told "that's how it's supposed to be". Even though it might be intentional it's very misleading. Whenever there's a new comment in such a thread it looks like there's a new comment by the game/library/demo's author. I click on these posts because I want to see what the author had to say and often am disappointed to see that it wasn't the author posting, it was just some random person saying "lol" or "cool".
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
What's the rationale for this?
I am with F_A on this, it is pretty confusing sometimes.

One can understand why this is in Bug Reports. An explanation would of been nice even if it was just one sentence.
We decided to have the "creation" forums order by post instead of response. The reason was that there was a lot of off-topic banter in older (mostly fangame) posts and that was bumping the new posts off the page. For creations, this isn't so good because the top post is a lot more important than the replies.

The front-page reflects this, because it shows the top post instead of the top reply (at this moment, "Action RPG Framework" is displayed since it was the latest post, but the latest reply is actually on the "Map Data Extractor").

[Edit] -- I thought there was a bug because it was showing "Re:" in front of these posts but it isn't, so I was just confused. I agree with Lummox JR then that this is fine.
It makes sense to not want every comment to put the thread back at the front but the display is still misleading. It could easily be sorted by post time but be displayed like this:

[game name] by [author]
comment by [commenter] at [comment time]

You could also expand the display to include the time of the post:

[game name] by [author]
posted by [poster] at [post time]
comment by [commenter] at [comment time]

For creations the comments might be important too. The author might post something important as a comment on their own thread instead of making a new post for it.