ID:829622

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Could we have peer to peer connections when sending files instead of the old peer to server, server to other peer.

This would cut down on bandwidth for those icon sharing games an would put less stress on the server as a whole.

I am aware that this could make way for sharing copyrighted material but you could always hide that hub, so really it's no different to having a Naruto game made with te BYOND software...
Nothing really? ...
I assure you that every feature request posted is read by the staff. It's not really feasible for replies to be made to each one, however. (Especially when it's still the weekend. ;) )
You might be able to use Flash to do something like this:
http://cookbooks.adobe.com/ post_Create_a_P2P_file_sharing_application-16539.html

I would assume HTML5 could also probably manage it (although I would imagine support for it in the embedded browser is probably questionable)

If you need it soon, anyways, your best bet is to implement it yourself.
In response to Murrawhip
A.T.H.K wrote:
This would cut down on bandwidth for those icon sharing games an would put less stress on the server as a whole.

I don't think that icon sharing games are a high priority. I'd also expect this would run into a lot of networking problems since each client would need to have the ability to receive external connections. It could also introduce a lot of potential for abuse if you knew that BYOND clients might be listening for connections to receive files.

Murrawhip wrote:
I assure you that every feature request posted is read by the staff. It's not really feasible for replies to be made to each one, however. (Especially when it's still the weekend. ;) )

It only takes a minute to write a response. It looks like there are a lot of feature requests but they probably average only one or two a day. That means it'd take 30-60 minutes a month to reply to each feature request. When you divide that by the number of staff members qualified to respond to requests, it might only be 5-10 minutes per person. It might not be fun to reply to each request but it's certainly feasible. If the staff doesn't respond to a request it looks like they didn't read it. Short of responding to it there's just no way to avoid that and it'll seem rude. Assuming they've invested 3 minutes reading a request, there's no reason to not spend 10 seconds to write "Great idea!"
Don't forget that you posted this Saturday, and bumped it on Sunday. Lummox JR doesn't usually work on BYOND development, nor the appear on the website, on weekends.
Peer-to-peer networking could have some advantages, but I think for many games it would be a negative. Among other difficulties, many of which FA mentioned, it requires client IPs to be exposed to each other, which some users wouldn't like. So it would have to be implemented in a way where it could be turned off and the server could be used as a fallback. That part is doable, but then it raises the question of what could be accomplished this way except sending files, which is not a development priority, or distributing resources, which is a priority but can probably be done better in a number of other ways.

Sending files peer-to-peer through the pager is a related concept that's come up before, and is more useful IMO, but would probably be stymied by a lot of networking issues.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
it requires client IPs to be exposed to each other, which some users wouldn't

This can still be done as of now anyway... obviously going through the server first but the server could do anything with that IP address .. if people are so paranoid wouldn't they use a program like TOR?