ID:83474

Keywords: host, hosting, linux
I while back I wanted to setup a serve using Slicehost. However I failed to find a spot with a complete guide on how to do so. With some research most of this you can figure out on your won, however I took the liberty to put all the needed info together and create a basic guide.

How to:

Step 1:
Open your browser and head over to Slicehost and select "Sign up"

Step 2:
Enter your personal information, feel free to refer to me in the referral field, I would appreciate it: [email protected]
Select your Slice size, chose the Ubuntu (hardy) version from the drop down menu and give your Slice a name.

Step 3:
Install the following software
PuTTy: Link
WinSCP: Link

Step 4:
By now you should have received a mail from Slicehost notifying your Slice was created.
This mail should include and IP address and info about the user and password.
This info is needed to access your Slice, keep it safe!

Step 5:
Start PuTTy, enter the IP address provided by Slicehost and click [Open] to connect to your Slice

A black screen will appear saying "login as:", enter the user provided by Slicehost and press [Enter]
You will then be asked to enter your password, enter the password provided by Slicehost and press [Enter]

Note: For security reasons the password you enter will not show up when you start typing, this is normal.

Now you are connected to your Slice and we are able to setup the Slice so it's able to host your world.

Step 6:
Change your password. To do so enter "passwd" and press [Enter], the system will ask you to enter a new password twice after which the password is changed.

Step 7:
We now need to install all the needed software for running your world. Below you will see an overview of what you need to type to setup your Slice. Press [Enter] after each line and wait for the process to be done before moving to the next line. The last line will update everything you just installed, this is to make sure your software is complete and up to date.

apt-get install make 
apt-get install gcc
apt-get install unzip
apt-get install ia32-libs
apt-get install screen
apt-get update

Step 8:
Now we need to install BYOND, go here and right click the link of the Linux version of BYOND and copy the direct download link.

Example: When this article was written the link was: http://www.byond.com/download/build/453.1035_byond_linux.zip

Step 9:
Go back to PuTTy and enter the following lines and press [Enter] after each, make sure you update the link with the direct link you found at step number 8

wget http://www.byond.com/download/build/453.1035_byond_linux.zip
unzip 453.1035_byond_linux.zip
cd byond
sudo make install
DreamDaemon --version

Step 10:
The version of DreamDaemon should now be displayed. The only thing left to do is upload the hostfiles and start hosting. To do so, start WinSCP and click [New]
Enter the Slice IP at "Host name:"ť
Enter your user under "User name:"
Enter your new password under "Password:"
Click [Login]

Note: You can also save this info by clicking [Save], WinSCP will ask for a session name after which it will appear in the list. You can double click it to login.

Step 11:
You will now see the files of your PC on the left, and the files of your Slice on the right. You can basically drag & drop any files from left to right and vice-versa.

Step 12:
Create your "World executable files" using the Dreammaker. This will create a zip containing the files needed to host your game. Unpack the zip on your PC. Use WinSCP to transfer the files to your Slice. Make sure they are in a map which is called similar to your world.dmb file. So if your game is called "MyWorld" make sure the "MyWorld.src" and "MyWorld.dmb"ť file are in a folder called "MyWorld"ť, in the following steps we will assume the game is called "MyWorld"

Step 13:
Log back in with PuTTy and type "screen" and press [Enter]. A message will appear, press [Spacebar].

Step 14:
Enter the following lines each followed by pressing [Enter]

cd MyWorld
DreamDaemon MyWorld.dmb 8000 -logself

Step 15:
The game is now being host, all we have left to do is detach the screen and close PuTTy. To do so hold [Ctrl] and press [A], then press [D].The process will now keep running and you can close PuTTy.

Congratulations, your game is now being host 24/7 on a Slice!

Additional info:
I'd like to take a moment to explain how screen works. If you would host your game without using screen the hosting would stop as soon as you close PuTTy.

Here is a good guide on how to use Screen: Link

Some quick commands for screen:
screen -ls (displays a list of screens)
screen -r screenname (allows you to reattach to a screen)
screen -x screenname (kills that specific screen)
And keep in mind you can detach a screen as described in step 15.
The 'Slicehost' link leads to: http://www.byond.com/members/www.slicehost.com

Also, the putty link doesn't have a destination URL.
Also found a third mistake and some weird character errors, all fixed.
No problem.
Fint wrote:

"Open your browser and head over to Slicehost and select “Sign up"

Missed a couple.
Tiberath wrote:
Fint wrote:

"Open your browser and head over to Slicehost and select “Sign up"

Missed a couple.

Oke tip for everybody else, don't copy paste text written in Office 2007 into the article submission form.
I'd never heard of "screen" before you used it here; I'm guessing it's a way for you to persist a process after you close the terminal? I always just ended the DreamDaemon command with '&' and kill -9'd it later, haha. The screen thing is probably cleaner.
Kuraudo wrote:
I'd never heard of "screen" before you used it here; I'm guessing it's a way for you to persist a process after you close the terminal? I always just ended the DreamDaemon command with '&' and kill -9'd it later, haha. The screen thing is probably cleaner.

I use it to keep stuff running the same way the '&' would I guess. Nice thing is that you can create multiple screens and keep track of them and switch between them rather easy. Both ways work just fine.
For DBRP's server I use & at the end of the DreamDaemon command, and then "logout"o.0
Or you could get an account at Farawayhost and use a control panel instead of having to go through all of this.
Android Data wrote:
Or you could get an account at Farawayhost and use a control panel instead of having to go through all of this.

Slicehost's 256 slice: $20/mo.
256MB RAM
10GB Storage
100GB Bandwidth
Full root access and choice of Linux distro

Farawayhost's [custom plan]: $22.99+/mo.
250MB RAM: $22.99/mo.
1GB Storage
25GB Bandwidth
Costs an additional $0.99/mo. per hosted BYOND world after the first
You certainly don't need 250 MB. Space Station 13 only uses 160 MB on a bad day, and that's still lower than Slicehost's price.

And with Slicehost, the responsibility all falls to you. We make sure that the system remains running, and even update BYOND for you.
Neosurge NEO-2: $13.95/mo.
256MB ram, 256MB swap
15GB storage
350GB bandwidth
full root access and choice of linux distro

Slicehost's 256 slice: $20/mo.
256MB RAM
10GB Storage
100GB Bandwidth
Full root access and choice of Linux distro

Farawayhost's [custom plan]: $22.99+/mo.
250MB RAM: $22.99/mo.
1GB Storage
25GB Bandwidth
Costs an additional $0.99/mo. per hosted BYOND world after the first

Chatters has been running on a NEO-1 for a few months, now on a NEO-2.
Sustained 10Mbit connection, and a 3GHz Xeon core all to ourselves.
Cheaper and more powerful than slicehost, and likely faraway.
Android Data wrote:

That was a pretty shameless plug.
Jeff8500 wrote:
Android Data wrote:

That was a pretty shameless plug.

I'm inclined to agree.

--

And nice tutorial Fint. It'll be very handy for people I refer to slicehost down the line (so many referrals lost due to unwilling to make people spend money on something I know they can't use).
If I Closed my Computer And Turned It Off Since Putty Is Technically Background running it Would Close The Server Right?
Neosurge is now $6.95 a month, while Slicehost is still $20.

Neosurge is the better choice in both price and speed.