Event Jun 26 2012, 7:00 pm
to Jul 8 2012, 7:00 pm
ID:837680

Hello fellow byonders.
I'm interested in getting new and interesting ideas for dungeons.
These dungeons must fit my game thus it's like so.

I shall host my game regularly while I'm afk and away from my computer so that anyone who wishes to play can do so.

What I'm looking for are:unique ideas using objects, items or skills the player has that I can incorporate into themed dungeons.

For example:

The player has access to a weapon called Cross Shuriken, which tosses 4 shuriken in N,S,E,W directions at the same time.
One Idea I had was to have the player need to hit 4 switches at once to proceed.

There are Elements in the game, perhaps switches could respond to certain elements?

These are just examples(and may be used or included)

----
The way this contest is rated.

3 Points for every original idea you post.
1 Points for every idea that is semi-original.(for instance if you put a new twist on someone else's idea.)
0 points if someone already mentioned the idea and there's no ingenuity to it.

Bonus Points(+2) are awarded for staying on the game's theme and meshing well with environment and gameplay rules(in other words a bonus if I can incorporate these ideas-- without having to do extra coding)

Literally the person with the most and best ideas will win as scored by myself.

Prize

A Gift membership or subscription to any game of your choice.
I can also paypal you the value of a membership.

Current Entrants-3
Point Leader Vrocann 28 points as of 7/3/12, followed closely by Solumn Architect with 15 points.
Isnt this a naruto game?
In response to TwoTon
TwoTon wrote:
Isnt this a naruto game?

Nope. It's an original ninja game.
We are supposed to post here, correct? I could easily fire off five or so ideas without playing the game and I'm sure I'd have more after playing it.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
We are supposed to post here, correct? I could easily fire off five or so ideas without playing the game and I'm sure I'd have more after playing it.

Yes yes. That's correct.
Item:
Sludge/Sticky bomb: You throw it and it slows an enemy down.
Dungeon Puzzle:
You could have a few enemies who walk in a circle, or along a certain path (back and forth in a line for instance), and they walk in a loop around their respective paths. Each path would have a switch, which enemies walk over to activate, but they walk over it at different times (the switch gets flipped OFF after the step off the switch). The goal is of course to make them walk on the switches at the same time, so you would use a sticky bomb/sludge to slow them down, and get them to all walk on their respective switches at the same time. The enemies wouldn't fight/chase you, and they can't break their walk path. For multiplayer purpose, if the switch were to open a door, you could reset the enemies after you walk through the door.
Boss Mechanic: The fight consists of two Bosses who are Lightning elements. Each one has an ability called "Charge" that helps or hinders depending on their distance. Let me explain.

"Charge" randomly assigns each boss a status effect, either "Positive" or "Negative". Each independent to the other Boss' effect. If the Bosses status' are opposite (i.e. One has "Positive" the other has "Negative") then they heal each other. If the status' are the same, they damage each other. These status' will randomly change for each boss throughout the fight.

The goal of the fight is to watch each bosses status' and either bring them closer or separate them. This would be a critical point in the fight and force players to adopt more strategy than "Tank 'n' Spank". An overlay icon could be used for the bosses to show their current status above their head. It makes it simpler and easier to determine action.

This entire design assumes that this is used for a multiplayer dungeon.
Item:
Hawk: Sends a hawk out that you can control for a short time frame, if he steps over an item or a switch he goes back to the owner.
Dungeon:
Seemingly obvious usage of having to control him and have him hit a switch. You could throw enemies or other things that would move around and if the hawk hits it, it gets sent back to the owner.

Item:
(Existing) I saw some fire bombs or something that could be used for a simple puzzle.
Dungeon:
Having switches hidden under tall grass, and you have to burn it to find the switch. This actually could play into the element switch thing, you could have a fire pit where you throw some kind of ice attack to find a switch under the fire. Electric could shock a pool with fish in it, and one of the fish could have a key in it's mouth. And lets say mud could dampen some electrical fields, so you might have an orb that electrifies everything around it, and if you hit it with some kind of mud/earth thing it would stop working for a while and allow you to pass.
@ Solemn- 5 points. Very good. I like it, and I do have status ailments in my game already as well as code for multi-player bosses/co-op bosses.
@ Megablaze- I have a stun bomb that stops movement for a short time, this could be used.
But as for the rest 1 point each. Very similiar to things you'd find in legend of zelda.
4 total
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
@ Megablaze- I have a stun bomb that stops movement for a short time, this could be used.
But as for the rest 1 point each. Very similiar to things you'd find in legend of zelda.
4 total

...Really
Yes, I've seen similiar or identical things in other games before. And while the stun bomb would be a good idea, since I already have one in the game thats basically the only reason I didn't give you 3 points for it.
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
Yes, I've seen similiar or identical things in other games before. And while the stun bomb would be a good idea, since I already have one in the game thats basically the only reason I didn't give you 3 points for it.

If it's just about originality, how about a technique where you summon lamps and the hit things in a radius. Really, it should be about what works well in a game, not simply originality, a LOT of ideas out there aren't completely original. Using something that people are familiar with makes it easier for them to use, if the puzzles are set up properly, it lets players solve the puzzle if they followed along the ideas for the others (ie: if they used fire to burn grass, and ice to disipate fire, ending up in a room with water would give them the idea of using an element to solve the puzzle). That being said, I'd rather you didn't use my ideas if you don't understand the importance of this, so please ignore my posts.
A few ideas:
1. A ninja who is capable of making/casting fire with a skill needs to light up torches, then someone who can make/cast water has to put the fire out which then turns into steam, which then warms some sort of orb and then opens up a door to proceed. For this, you would need co-operation and tactical play, because you have to be sure there is a ninja who can do the fire and a ninja who can do the water in your team.

2. A dungeon where a group of six/four players have to split up in groups off three/two players. Those two groups then need to separately clear a (mini-)dungeon where they fight a mini-boss or two with three people. After that, they come together by doing something special and opening a gate. Although they cannot proceed through the gate, only if both groups have opened their gates.

3. I would also like to see several difficulties of dungeons, where the monsters and bosses become stronger as the dungeon difficulty becomes higher. This combined with better loot for gear, more gold, more experience points, some scroll to raise stats, ...

4. Hidden secrets in dungeons to skip a part in a dungeon or a dungeon where you can teleport from different places in the dungeon to different places, that way, you have to clear that part first, then teleport to the other part, then clear it, and so on.

5. A dungeon that you need to clear on time, if you can't clear it before the time runs out, you get warped out back to the last city you've been for example. If you were able to clear it, then you get something special.
In response to Megablaze
Megablaze wrote:
Dariuc wrote:

If it's just about originality, how about a technique where you summon lamps and the hit things in a radius. Really, it should be about what works well in a game, not simply originality, a LOT of ideas out there aren't completely original. Using something that people are familiar with makes it easier for them to use, if the puzzles are set up properly, it lets players solve the puzzle if they followed along the ideas for the others (ie: if they used fire to burn grass, and ice to disipate fire, ending up in a room with water would give them the idea of using an element to solve the puzzle). That being said, I'd rather you didn't use my ideas if you don't understand the importance of this, so please ignore my posts.

I mentioned in OP that originality + fitting the theme of the game. But mostly I'm interested in things that other people aren't repeatedly doing over again, or ideas that I can put a fresh new spin on.

Try asking yourself what types of tasks might a ninja do? Other than that, I'm open to many kinds of situations. Dragons, monsters, ancient ruins, crypts,etc. Imagination = win
In response to Megablaze
Scores-
Solemn- 5 Points Point Leader
Megablaze- 4 Points
Raimo- 4 points- I've seen them all done in other games before. As a matter of fact that reminds me alot of minish cap!
Thanks for the history lesson but I'd have to ask that you delete this post, it really has nothing to do with the contest. You may suggest things from this post, but all it serves really is to take up alot of space(even though it is interesting reading).
Oh and for your dungeon idea, You can have the ninjas go into Territories that arent to safe. Possibly instead of caves you can allow the ninjas to enter Ruins? or abandon hideouts? Or maybe underground hideout well that sounds like a dungeon but you can just call it a hideout. plus you can add like a boss to each hideout or if you like you can all like a building or tower? like that movie Game of Death and you have to battle your way up it possibilities are endless really. Possibly if I seen the game id have a great understand what your going for.
I also feel like your game should have traps in hideouts and like obstacles maybe puzzles! I tried to do a ninja type game before and I think a rope bow would be useful! ropebow FTW!

Maybe crazy ammounts of different kinda traps to make a person or person(s) stay on their toes. Maybe boulders, arrows flying from walls or ceilings, Bombs going off if you open a trap chest.
Dariuc wrote:
Bosses are already incorporated into the game. As are ruins. Most of the stuff you mentioned is pretty generic things you would find in a game. If you could elaborate to make them more unique I could give you more points. You also mentioned some of the things that people above mentioned with progressively difficult dungeons,etc. Also that's pretty common stuff in just about any game. I do already have traps in my game, and plan on putting in environmental traps as well so I'll give you a point for that!
TwoTon- 1 Points

Page: 1 2 3 4 5