Skills:
1) A skill that attacks everything on the screen by spawning fire/spikes in a box(simplest implamentation of this) around the player, then spreading into a bigger box until out of view, meanwhile the player is frozen, leaving him open to anyone who can survive/get past the skill(balancing it out imo).

2) A skill that sends a shuriken(or series of them(three+ in same icon)) from mob to mob in the view(been implamented in games before). This would cause very little amounts of damage, which would balance it.

3) A skill that enhances movement speed(pretty generic).

4) A skill that sacrafices half of the users maxium health, which can result in death, but deals twice the amount of damage to the opponite(I havn't seen it done before, but it's simple enough to have been done).

Items:
1) I'll list a bunch of generic items in this one by their selves. Special Kunai that increases attack speed. Boots that increase movement speed. Explosives that can be attached to weapons to deal splash damage.

2) 'Boomerang' throwable weapons that will attack in a line, then turn around, dealing damage to anything in it's path. This would cleary freeze the user, leaving them open aswell.

Objects:
I only got one idea; pressure plates to use in puzzles, these will 'press' whenever a object/mob enters the weight plate. This could be used with the Item #2 or the skill #1, where certain pressure plates are needed to be pressed down.
Of course, offering movable objects in the area to move onto pressure plates would also be available for a more long-gated process.

Forgive me for not reading other replies, if I offered any of the same ideas as anyone else.
Fire Boss Mechanic
The Boss choose one player to perform an ability called "Purge". The boss visually charges his power and after a brief pause, attacks the targeted player. The attack does a base amount of damage and can be split up and mitigated if the other players stand beside the targeted player while he is hit. Without this mitigation, the attacked player would surely die. If the damage is split up amongst enough players, there is severely less risk. The boss also covers large portions of ground in fire with an ability called "Wildfire", dealing damage over time. He also does other large attacks that damages all players within a certain radius of it's target location called "Lava Flow". This attack picks a player and attacks in his direction rather than at the player directly, giving him a short time to get out of the way. If all of the players are standing close together, they all could suffer a lot of damage. There is no mitigation here to reduce damage. The Boss also has one last ability called "Inferno Aurora". The closer the players are standing to the boss, the more damage they take from fire damage. This makes Melee classes a target of priority for Healing classes when trying to deal damage to the boss.

This fight ensures that players remain vigilant of the boss' attacks and forces them to cooperate frequently. The constant movement makes powerful charged spells difficult and keeps the players jumping around like their pants are on fire. I consider this boss fight much more dangerous than the Lighting Bosses because one lapse in concentration and cooperation could very quickly lead to someone's death. This boss fight does not f*** around.

If my idea's seem very well thought out, original, and organized, it's because they're a general description of Boss mechanics that are planned to be included in my own MORPG. I've given them all quite a bit of thought to make sure that teamwork is very necessary for beating the boss. Even though I give you the idea's to use, I still plan on using them myself. It's your choice to add what you need to make it fit the theme of your project, I'm just giving you a main mechanic for a fight. In this case, you may also want to rename specific abilities and status effects.

Keep in mind that unless you seriously scale down this boss' abilities, it should only be left as a high level boss fight for experienced players. I built this fight to literally tear out each player's a-hole through their nostril.
Another idea:

1. A dungeon which is underwater, where as ninjas can breath underwater when they only have a certain skill. Other ninjas need to swim up at certain points in a dungeon and those points only occur once in a while. When those ninjas don't swim up on time, their health will drop or they die instantly, your choice.
@ Solemn- I totally understand where you are coming from. I've spent alot of time as well ironing out details of my own type of boss fights for my game that fit with the concept.(And haven't perfected quite yet codewise) still it's a very good idea.
Solemn 10 points total thus far
Also something I could most likely implement fairly easy with minimal code.
@ Raimo 5 points total
1 Point. I'd really like to get away from Legend of Zelda themes/ ideas though. Just because I said "dungeon" doesn't mean it has to be just that. It could be a map or a battlefield, a cave or cavern, ruins,etc as I mentioned before. I simply used dungeon as a term to let everyone know I intend it be a place to encounter enemies as well as loot,etc.
I've found though that you aren't the only person who has suggested several ideas which have been found in past Legend of Zelda games(have nothing against Zelda but again I'd like to make my game unique-- not borrow ideas). Awarded one point.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Skills:
1) A skill that attacks everything on the screen by spawning fire/spikes in a box(simplest implamentation of this) around the player, then spreading into a bigger box until out of view, meanwhile the player is frozen, leaving him open to anyone who can survive/get past the skill(balancing it out imo).
Already have a wide range skill that attacks/effects all foes on screen.

2) A skill that sends a shuriken(or series of them(three+ in same icon)) from mob to mob in the view(been implamented in games before). This would cause very little amounts of damage, which would balance it.

Already have various shurikens in the game, however there are no skills attached to them, they are used as tools.

3) A skill that enhances movement speed(pretty generic).

Already have one.

4) A skill that sacrafices half of the users maxium health, which can result in death, but deals twice the amount of damage to the opponite(I havn't seen it done before, but it's simple enough to have been done).

I like this idea. 3 points

Items:
1) I'll list a bunch of generic items in this one by their selves. Special Kunai that increases attack speed. Boots that increase movement speed. Explosives that can be attached to weapons to deal splash damage.

For my game movement speed isn't really an issue. I have 3 speeds, normal, evasive movement and stun/stopped.

2) 'Boomerang' throwable weapons that will attack in a line, then turn around, dealing damage to anything in it's path. This would cleary freeze the user, leaving them open aswell.

Could work as a special weapon/skill. 1 point

Objects:
I only got one idea; pressure plates to use in puzzles, these will 'press' whenever a object/mob enters the weight plate. This could be used with the Item #2 or the skill #1, where certain pressure plates are needed to be pressed down.
Of course, offering movable objects in the area to move onto pressure plates would also be available for a more long-gated process.

Pretty generic. 1 point. Even though I think it could be combined with an earlier post.

Forgive me for not reading other replies, if I offered any of the same ideas as anyone else.

NAHH 5 Points total
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
@ Raimo 5 points total
1 Point. I'd really like to get away from Legend of Zelda themes/ ideas though. Just because I said "dungeon" doesn't mean it has to be just that. It could be a map or a battlefield, a cave or cavern, ruins,etc as I mentioned before. I simply used dungeon as a term to let everyone know I intend it be a place to encounter enemies as well as loot,etc.
I've found though that you aren't the only person who has suggested several ideas which have been found in past Legend of Zelda games(have nothing against Zelda but again I'd like to make my game unique-- not borrow ideas). Awarded one point.

I've never played any games of the Zelda series.
In response to Raimo
You poor, poor, sheltered child...
In response to Solomn Architect
I know right. Only thing I played was Pokémon when I was a child. I'm only 17 years old tho. I don't know for how long Zelda is around.
In response to Raimo
Zelda was around on the original NES. Your parents might remember it as kids.
Ice Boss Mechanic
Throughout the fight, the boss will use abilities to give players a stackable status effect called "Frostbite". Players take extra damage from cold attacks the more stacks of "Frostbite" they have. Stacks can be removed by healers using "Cure Disease" spells. The number of stacks removed is based on the strength of the Cure spell. Stacks are also removed one at a time on their own every few seconds. The boss will use an ability called "Absolute Zero", adding a number of stacks onto each player depending on how far away they are from the boss. He will also do a direct attack on a player called "Frost Touch", adding several more stacks of "Frostbite" to his target instantly on contact. The last weapon in the boss' arsenal is periodically using an ability called "Ice Plague" on one player. "Ice Plague" will deal a base damage to the player every second, simultaneously removing one stack of "Frostbite" with each tick. The infected player's movement speed is reduced slightly. If another player gets close to the infected player, the disease will jump from one player to the other. The disease must tick a certain number of times before it can be passed on again. A player can have multiple "Ice Plague"'s on them at once. If a player infected with "Ice Plague" has all of their "Frostbite" stack removed, the disease is removed without jumping to another player. If a player dies with the disease on them, the disease is simply removed. Losing all "Frostbite" stacks and death are the only two ways to get rid of "Ice Plague". It is immune to "Cure Disease" abilities.

The trick to this fight is managing the number of stacks of "Frostbite" on each player, trying to keep them as low as possible. When the boss does cast "Ice Plague", the players need to work together in order to safely pass off the disease as to not accrue too much damage at once. Allowing "Frostbite" to stack up too much, or letting the "Ice Plague" cling to one player for too long, can quickly result in the death of a party member and jeopardize the success of the fight.

This fight was one I just thought of off the top of my head. My goal is to do a full set of elemental bosses for you to use in various dungeons, or one big one. A story can easily be written to accommodate the reasons for players fighting these bosses, seeing as your game does theme around the elements somewhat.
Skills:
1. A skill where an element-user person makes a decent sized area possessed with their element or something, hurting anyone that does not use that specific elements.

2. I'm not sure how else to put this, but a way for certain elements to take control of natural objects as weapons, i.e. rocks, rivers, trees

Items:
1. Tripwire. Should be self-explanatory.

2. Bombrod. A rod with a bomb thing on it. It's one-use and does quite a bit of damage up close. Pushes the user backwards. Could be used in puzzles.

3. Bombs in general. I don't mean wimpy ninja smoke bombs. I mean explosive ones that can be lobbed as a weapon or distraction. Hell, even being able to suicide bomb with bombs would be cool.

4. Bomb element. You need this.

5. Disease injections. I went there.

6. Element Pill. Temporarily changes your elemental abilities, allowing you to do certain puzzles alone that you could not normally manage.

7. Survivor Beans. Necessary.

Dungeons:

A dungeon full of large stones, water, and a lot of bomb rods. You have to strategically destroy rocks and fling yourself. If you explode too many things, the dungeon collapses and you die/get sent out/die.
In response to Solomn Architect
Solomn Architect wrote:
Ice Boss Mechanic
Throughout the fight, the boss will use abilities to give players a stackable status effect called "Frostbite". Players take extra damage from cold attacks the more stacks of "Frostbite" they have. Stacks can be removed by healers using "Cure Disease" spells. The number of stacks removed is based on the strength of the Cure spell. Stacks are also removed one at a time on their own every few seconds. The boss will use an ability called "Absolute Zero", adding a number of stacks onto each player depending on how far away they are from the boss. He will also do a direct attack on a player called "Frost Touch", adding several more stacks of "Frostbite" to his target instantly on contact. The last weapon in the boss' arsenal is periodically using an ability called "Ice Plague" on one player. "Ice Plague" will deal a base damage to the player every second, simultaneously removing one stack of "Frostbite" with each tick. The infected player's movement speed is reduced slightly. If another player gets close to the infected player, the disease will jump from one player to the other. The disease must tick a certain number of times before it can be passed on again. A player can have multiple "Ice Plague"'s on them at once. If a player infected with "Ice Plague" has all of their "Frostbite" stack removed, the disease is removed without jumping to another player. If a player dies with the disease on them, the disease is simply removed. Losing all "Frostbite" stacks and death are the only two ways to get rid of "Ice Plague". It is immune to "Cure Disease" abilities.

The trick to this fight is managing the number of stacks of "Frostbite" on each player, trying to keep them as low as possible. When the boss does cast "Ice Plague", the players need to work together in order to safely pass off the disease as to not accrue too much damage at once. Allowing "Frostbite" to stack up too much, or letting the "Ice Plague" cling to one player for too long, can quickly result in the death of a party member and jeopardize the success of the fight.

This fight was one I just thought of off the top of my head. My goal is to do a full set of elemental bosses for you to use in various dungeons, or one big one. A story can easily be written to accommodate the reasons for players fighting these bosses, seeing as your game does theme around the elements somewhat.

+5 for a total of 15
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
Skills:
1. A skill where an element-user person makes a decent sized area possessed with their element or something, hurting anyone that does not use that specific elements.

Might take some doing to get it implemented but do-able. 2 Points

2. I'm not sure how else to put this, but a way for certain elements to take control of natural objects as weapons, i.e. rocks, rivers, trees

Also possible. 2 points.

Items:
1. Tripwire. Should be self-explanatory.

Doable- 1 point

2. Bombrod. A rod with a bomb thing on it. It's one-use and does quite a bit of damage up close. Pushes the user backwards. Could be used in puzzles.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure it would fit. It's possible though.

1 point.

3. Bombs in general. I don't mean wimpy ninja smoke bombs. I mean explosive ones that can be lobbed as a weapon or distraction. Hell, even being able to suicide bomb with bombs would be cool.

Already have all of the above mentioned.

4. Bomb element. You need this.

Perhaps. I'm toying with the idea of advanced elements.

5. Disease injections. I went there.

6. Element Pill. Temporarily changes your elemental abilities, allowing you to do certain puzzles alone that you could not normally manage.

Hmm.The way I have things set up is the ninja can learn and use any element, it's just that having affinity with an element makes it more efficient to use, and powerful.
Not sure how I could make this work but it's an idea.
3 Points for originality.

7. Survivor Beans. Necessary.

I have ninja pills already.

Dungeons:

A dungeon full of large stones, water, and a lot of bomb rods. You have to strategically destroy rocks and fling yourself. If you explode too many things, the dungeon collapses and you die/get sent out/die.

Sounds interesting. 3 points for a total of - 12 points

Lets see... I think I have a few.

Idea 1: A boss fight where you have to hit the boss from a certain side, which changes periodically throughout the fight; the window to do so is small so you either need to have a party or you need to use an ability or item that creates a purely illusion-based copy of yourself to distract him and reach his weak side.

Idea 2: In the dungeon of the above boss, to get through it you must use your friends or illusions to trick enemies into dying or hitting various switches; in the case of them dying they would only be able to die through trickery.

Idea 3: An entire dungeon where you can only see one tile infront of you on any direction, like a + shape with you in the center. You may be able to see small areas, if an enemy glows, or you use certain skills, up to you, but you have to find the switches and get past the traps despite your limited vision.

Idea 4: A boss fight for the above dungeon, where you fight the unforseen enemy; one you simply cannot see unless you've either A: ran over all switches in his boss room, or B: lit various torches and such to light up the room. Naturally, you cannot hit him unless you can see him. The switches and/or torches also reset after you hit him once, and you need to hit him at least three times to win.

Idea 5: A dungeon that is full of enemies that release smoke, or use a lot of smoke generating skills. You need to use a fan-like item or wind ability to clear the smoke, otherwise its hard to see, and in some rooms there may be poisonious gas mixed in that will damage you unless you keep it cleared away.

Idea 6: A dungeon that changes based off some switches that you flip. If you flip switch 1, for example, then each door in the room you're in will lead to different rooms than they did before. You would likely need to have some form of mini map to add this dungeon, but the player would need to use the various switches to change the dungeon in a certain order if they want to reach the end.

Idea 7: A dungeon where each room is a mixture of elements, and requires you to have skills of multiple elements or a party of people with you in order to trigger all the different switches/mechanisms. Some may even require you to hit two or three at once. They range from simply lighting a torch or burning a target to shocking a electricity conducting rod, and dowsing fires, etc.

Idea 8: A boss for idea 7, where you can only damage him with a certain element, or a certain element from each side. The element or sides vary, and you need to watch him carefully and learn his pattern to try to win alone, or bring a party along to mix up elements and bring him down.

Idea 9: A boss fight where you have a limited range of movement due to being surrounded by a ring of fire, pits of lava, deathly falls, whatever suits you most really. Each time the boss attacks or his hurt, your choice, the range of movement gets smaller. You either need to hit him X amount of times before you run out of space, or you need to survive X amount of time to get the chance to strike him down at the end.

Idea 10: When certain element attacks collide with each or other project objects they form a different attack. It may be best for them to only form these new attacks if they're going the same direction when they collide, but using these mixed attacks would allow you to flip new kinds of switches/mechanisms and you can use this for a new dungeon, multiple dungeons, whatever you like. It's good for bosses, too, as some may require these unique attacks to be damaged.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:

Idea 1: A boss fight where you have to hit the boss from a certain side, which changes periodically throughout the fight; the window to do so is small so you either need to have a party or you need to use an ability or item that creates a purely illusion-based copy of yourself to distract him and reach his weak side.

Idea 2: In the dungeon of the above boss, to get through it you must use your friends or illusions to trick enemies into dying or hitting various switches; in the case of them dying they would only be able to die through trickery.

Idea 3: An entire dungeon where you can only see one tile infront of you on any direction, like a + shape with you in the center. You may be able to see small areas, if an enemy glows, or you use certain skills, up to you, but you have to find the switches and get past the traps despite your limited vision.

Idea 4: A boss fight for the above dungeon, where you fight the unforseen enemy; one you simply cannot see unless you've either A: ran over all switches in his boss room, or B: lit various torches and such to light up the room. Naturally, you cannot hit him unless you can see him. The switches and/or torches also reset after you hit him once, and you need to hit him at least three times to win.

Idea 5: A dungeon that is full of enemies that release smoke, or use a lot of smoke generating skills. You need to use a fan-like item or wind ability to clear the smoke, otherwise its hard to see, and in some rooms there may be poisonious gas mixed in that will damage you unless you keep it cleared away.

Idea 6: A dungeon that changes based off some switches that you flip. If you flip switch 1, for example, then each door in the room you're in will lead to different rooms than they did before. You would likely need to have some form of mini map to add this dungeon, but the player would need to use the various switches to change the dungeon in a certain order if they want to reach the end.

Idea 7: A dungeon where each room is a mixture of elements, and requires you to have skills of multiple elements or a party of people with you in order to trigger all the different switches/mechanisms. Some may even require you to hit two or three at once. They range from simply lighting a torch or burning a target to shocking a electricity conducting rod, and dowsing fires, etc.

Idea 8: A boss for idea 7, where you can only damage him with a certain element, or a certain element from each side. The element or sides vary, and you need to watch him carefully and learn his pattern to try to win alone, or bring a party along to mix up elements and bring him down.

Idea 9: A boss fight where you have a limited range of movement due to being surrounded by a ring of fire, pits of lava, deathly falls, whatever suits you most really. Each time the boss attacks or his hurt, your choice, the range of movement gets smaller. You either need to hit him X amount of times before you run out of space, or you need to survive X amount of time to get the chance to strike him down at the end.

Idea 10: When certain element attacks collide with each or other project objects they form a different attack. It may be best for them to only form these new attacks if they're going the same direction when they collide, but using these mixed attacks would allow you to flip new kinds of switches/mechanisms and you can use this for a new dungeon, multiple dungeons, whatever you like. It's good for bosses, too, as some may require these unique attacks to be damaged.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned NOT using ideas borrowed from Legend of Zelda. Just about all of these ideas are straight from Zelda videogames, I don't really play Zelda games often but I remember quite a few of these.

Also people have mentioned using elements to trigger switches in a previous post.

3 Points for bosses who are immune to everything but a certain element.
In response to Dariuc
Uh, I don't want to throw this topic off, so I'll just make one quick reply about this, but I have to say... Don't you think that's a little harsh?

I've played almost all of the Zelda console games, and only a couple of the portables. I'll admit two or three of those ideas might be pretty similar to something in there, especially since I said torches instead of something else, but unless I missed a lot in the portables I've never seen them use illusionary distractions/trickery, or skills that change based off colliding with other skills/objects. The closest thing I've seen to that is using a torch with an arrow to make a fire arrow, but I meant things like combining water and wind to create a totally different ice attack or something.

Just some examples. Like I said, I get wanting originality and not wanting to be too similar to Zelda, but I've played many of the Zelda games and At Least half of these seem very different or unrelated to Zelda to me; so I had to ask.
Second Roooooound:

Weapons:

1. Bladed Gauntlets: Basically, hand-to-hand weapons that make enemies bleed and such. Also, they'd be sexy.

2. Whip: Every game needs whips. I don't care what you think. Give it a unique attack pattern, perhaps even the ability to randomly deal AoE damage to an adjacent target.

Concepts:

1. Disarming/Disabling armed weapons with specific weapons, such as heavy weapons or throwing knives.

2. Temporary fatigue from over-using weapons/skills.

3. Bleeding condition which slowly lowers health as well as your movement speed.

Bosses:

1. A small, quick demon thing that targets one player, attacks, then targets another. Its attack can be interrupted by having another player attack it, so it would be possible to juggle it. Only there's two.

2. Huge, slow hulk of a boss. Takes place in a long corridor filled with walls and traps. The boss breaks through walls, slowly chasing you as you attempt to kill it. Think Indiana Jones with a giant avatar of death behind you, rather than a boulder.

3. Stationary statue-like being that has four towers surrounding it. Or five. or six. One for each element. Basically, the statue has to be attacked whilst avoiding the many elemental attacks.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:

this was done in NES Zelda games as well as Ocarina of Time (can only attack a boss when it's weakness is exposed,weak area moves around the body or is only located in a certain area.)

Use enemies to solve puzzles. Zelda games do this.

Torchlights , used in Zelda. Wind Waker.

Falls under boss only being vulnerable at a certain time

There is a obligatory dungeon in each Zelda game that requires use of a fan item to hit switches and areas that can't be reached due to obstructions or blockages,etc.

Happens in many Zelda games.
And other games.

Someone mentioned this.

Gave points for this even though someone sort of mentioned having a boss that could only be taken on by party members of various elements.

Absolutely sure I've played a game where this happens. It just eludes me.

I already have Unison Ninpo in the game as a team skill. Just haven't ironed out the details yet.

3 points see.
In response to Dariuc
This is rigged hard as hell.
This topic probably shouldn't have been a contest. Its kind of hard to fairly judge ideas and their originality, because you don't really know what the other person has been exposed to. To them it might be an original idea. People were bound to get angry. You should've just asked for ideas and if you really wanted to give away a membership done so quietly.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5