ID:842517

Code:

Problem description:
I was just curious. Is there a way to release games made in Dream Maker on Steam? Or does it not support that code?

If I made a game on here and it became popular, is there some kind of agreement I signed that says it may not be submitted to other platforms? I assume I have full rights to the game?
You need to ask Steam support such a question.

Dunno how you thought BYOND could answer, considering it would be Steam that would accept/deny anyways. Last I recall, you can't.
I asked Steam such a question before, but Steam doesn't seem to support games developed with lesser-known third party software. One of the replies I got stated that if a game developed with BYOND was standalone, then it would possibly have a shot; in other words, it will likely be more of a possibility when the support for standalone installers is added.
Okay, what about the other question, though.

Do I have full rights to the game I make? As in, if I publish later on Steam, will BYOND claim any copyright lawsuits?
Yes. BYOND simply provides you with the tools. A hobby shop owner cannot file a lawsuit for copyright issues because you used their supplies to make something extremely useful and profitable.
So when the standalone installation feature comes (next version, was it?), we'll have a shot? Like, NEStalgia could try to get on Steam right now.
Steam accepts games from any engine, I think. You have a better chance of distributing a single-player game, though, unless the standalone installation feature that we have been promised incorporates some type of system that allows people who don't have a key to still play the game online.

EDIT: Steam would gladly accept a game from BYOND if it is executed right.
In response to Magnum2k
It uses the Guest system. I don't know why you think a way to separate a game from BYOND would require players to be BYOND users. Subscriptions require usage of BYOND's subscription system, though.
As long as you actually legally can use all of the assets in your game (if you submit a Naruto game to Steam for example I'm pretty sure they'll laugh you out the door and delay Half-Life 2: Episode 3 some more :(.)
At some point in the future Tom plans to allow Byond users to include Byond in their exe. This means theoretically you will be able to release yourgame.exe with no other files and everyone will be able to play it. They will however be playing as guests users if the game was multiplayer. The only way this could have a major effect is if you were planning to use a subscriber system. You would either need to make your own system which is difficult or direct players to Byond to make an account and then they can subscribe.

The point of this is that it would be very easy for Steam to implement your Byond games from that point. This is in theory remember, assuming that update is done (it has been some time). Also, the only way to get an Indie game onto Steam is for it to be very popular, we're talking extremely popular. So... Don't expect say "Hey steam here's my minimum specs pre-alpha build" and get it put on but it's not impossible for them to have Byond games in the future.
Steam is notoriously picky with what they publish. The only Game Maker game I know of on there is Serious Sam: The Random Encounter. I don't know of any Unity games on Steam.
If a developer tried to make money through it though, do you think there'd be an issue going through BYOND?
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
If a developer tried to make money through it though, do you think there'd be an issue going through BYOND?

I think Realm of the Mad God has a similar-ish setup where players can join using their Steam accounts, but have to go to their website to buy premium content.

It's hard to say, though. They might frown on the fact that BYOND is a third-party. If the game is good, you might be able to sell them on it.

I think it would take a really awesome game to "blaze the trail", so to speak. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't be worth the extra consideration for them.
Byond games would have a pretty big hurdle to jump through with steam.

First, the game would have to use the steam API to log in, which would require DLL wizardry.

Secondly, it would either have to pass through their testing process or be upvoted through the upcoming steam greenlight process.

Third, it would have to pass steam QA testing, which has really strict requirements

Fourth, Online games for steam are regulated even more strictly than offline ones. Steam doesn't want complaints from customers who got banned on a game they paid for.

Lastly, you'd have to prove that your game would bring in sufficient profit to justify adding it on the steam library. Considering a few top selling indie games almost failed this part, it's going to be a huge hurdle for any byond game.
It's sad that they have all these requirements, but still have games that totally suck on their site.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
It's sad that they have all these requirements, but still have games that totally suck on their site.

Oh wow, that is horrible.

It looks like that's using the source engine though, if not actively being a mod of one of the left for dead games. I don't see why Valve would support an abomination of a game using their engine, but that might explain why they listed it, since they do want to push the Source engine.
Sounds to me like it might be easier to design something similar to Steam than it would be to design a BYOND game that could, much less would be approved for Steam.

Mind you, that's assuming you have a lot of time and/or some skilled people to help, and I'm not saying it would be as popular as Steam but you probably get the idea.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Still, I don't see really any byond games that even meets that low standard.
In response to NNAAAAHH
Decadence, Nestalgia, Chicken Feat(anything by Oasiscircle, for that matter), etc.
In response to Kumorii
That's all personal reference. I still don't find anything you mentioned worthy enough to be sold. Paying for features is different, being optional to have while playing the game. And I don't see a reason to go with steam minus the selling point.
Page: 1 2