ID:84427

Keywords: advertising
Can someone please explain to me how, and why there is such a rule on alot of these "games"? I never understood this. I can understand spamming a game with "come play ____" but now you get banned from even mentioning games. I wonder what happens if you mention playing a console game.

Either way i think its pretty sad. Shouldnt we as a community welcome it to a degree?
To a degree, yes. However most of the time it's either spam or:

Naruto FOIDKL owns this shit out of this game, fags. byond://rippedgame
It's a rule in a lot of rips. They're afraid the game they didn't put effort into will lose players they didn't put effort into attracting.
Personally if some one comes into my game and starts advertising a rip i'll ban them. If they bring in a original game and talk about it (not spam it) they'll be able to go ahead.

I'm personally going to spam DBZ rips with DBOII links when it's open.
Actually, it was a problem in an "original" game I co-owned. People would come in, and their sole purpose of entering the game would be to go, "hey guyz this game sucks, u shud pliy (ripped game) byond://(ripped game)," every five seconds.
Jeff8500 wrote:
Actually, it was a problem in an "original" game I co-owned. People would come in, and their sole purpose of entering the game would be to go, "hey guyz this game sucks, u shud pliy (ripped game) byond://(ripped game)," every five seconds.

That's not mentioning the game, that's spamming it. Mr. Mitch is curious as to why even bringing up another game title (which I assume is regardless of reason) is a banable offence.
I guess some people realize their "game" is so generic and crappy that even the most mediocre game could completely steal all of its players. They feel threatened by any form of competition and thus they feel the need to keep out anyone who will attract their players and bring them to another game. Not to mention half the game "owners" around here have the maturity and mentality of a prepubescent.
dont say bad words or your botted
What?
KDG wrote:
I guess some people realize their "game" is so generic and crappy that even the most mediocre game could completely steal all of its players. They feel threatened by any form of competition and thus they feel the need to keep out anyone who will attract their players and bring them to another game. Not to mention half the game "owners" around here have the maturity and mentality of a prepubescent.

^This.
There are some games (few?) that are original and like to "protect" their community.
Although I really don't see what's so bad with mentioning simply the name of the game.
As for the console game thing.
I've seen people getting dished on for mentioning console games.
Some ppl are just play FUCKING RETARDED
TAC0_MAST3R wrote:
Some ppl are just play FUCKING RETARDED

Like you?
They're afraid that their players would join the other server, and leave their game dead. That, at least, is what I think is one of the reasons why people make advertising a bannable offense.

I would also assume that it has to do with respect. Personally, I find it disrespectful for someone come to into my game, and advertise another game without permission to do so in the first place.

In my eyes, it's okay to advertise your game, just get permission from me to inform the players that play my game, of your game or a game that you play.

That way I can inform my staff members of this game, and this person, that it's totally cool for them to broadcast their game. That way it doesn't get out of hand.
To a degree, it's disrespectful. But at the same time, if a game developer is truly confident in his game design and his game itself, he shouldn't have to worry about another game being able to take all of his players. But, like I said, most anime games on BYOND (I'd say about 98%) are generic copies of each other, even among the non-ripped titles. It's not exactly easy to keep your own playerbase when the next game offers the same gameplay and everything.
I Wonder how it's bad Mentioning a Console Game, Really i wanna know.
In the end it is their game. So they can do what they like. And besides that, BYOND games are equally advertised on BYOND through the hub entries and guilds. There isn't any real reason to go into someone's game and advertise your own. Quite rude if you ask me.
I'll have to be mixed on this one.
1) The BYOND hub offers enough advertisement.
If people aren't interested, the game potentially fails from hear-say.
2) Advertising In-Game should be allowed.
Without BYOND in general, a small chance exists that the game would be existent.
3) Pager Advertisement is like, soliciting.
We should be allowed to Report a person via Pager for Soliciting if we have an option like, 'No Solicitation' enabled.
Pmitch add me to yer damn pager and tell me what icons are "supposedly yours and ill take em out. just to make you happy.
Fatevamp wrote:
Pmitch add me to yer damn pager and tell me what icons are "supposedly yours and ill take em out. just to make you happy.

It was just that hairstyle, as far as i saw. Why the change of heart anyway?
well i do have a sence of repect and i wasnt on the game when you were . which hair icon are you talking about. i will remove it as soon as i icon a new one. just dont be calling me a theif cause thats one thing i am not, tough my game may be a rip in your eyes ive actualy put quit a bit of work in it as static has.
Page: 1 2