ID:84490

Keywords: netflix, ps3
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/ netflix-coming-soon-to-playstation-3/

Didnt even know about this. Pretty cool though. Ps3 already has a pretty decent library of movies and videos, this will certainly compliment that.
Not really. I was a user for Netflix for awhile because I was interested in a expanded online Media.

While their physical library of movies is vast, their online database is piss poor. 90% of their online "live" database is a lot of old or bad movies.

Sure, their live database is sprinkled with familiar and even fairly new movies, but you'll find that the bad outweighs the good.

You have to have a NetFlix account to even use the online feature, so you'd still have access to their rental feature (which I don't think it is worth $40.00 a month).

Instead I recommend PlayOn, software for your PC that is a one time $40.00, it is a media center extender that works with Xbox 360, PC and PS3. It allows you access to things such as Hulu and other online databases. It works well, even on my wireless connection.
Ham Doctor wrote:
Not really. I was a user for Netflix for awhile because I was interested in a expanded online Media.

While their physical library of movies is vast, their online database is piss poor. 90% of their online "live" database is a lot of old or bad movies.

Sure, their live database is sprinkled with familiar and even fairly new movies, but you'll find that the bad outweighs the good.

You have to have a NetFlix account to even use the online feature, so you'd still have access to their rental feature (which I don't think it is worth $40.00 a month).

Instead I recommend PlayOn, software for your PC that is a one time $40.00, it is a media center extender that works with Xbox 360, PC and PS3. It allows you access to things such as Hulu and other online databases. It works well, even on my wireless connection.

it's nowhere near 40.00 a month. It's more like 10 USD to get the internet database (pretty sure). You are right about the database though, the movies are rarely ever new releases.
Ham Doctor wrote:

$40 a month? What are you getting 8 dvds plus a blu ray option for all of them? I pay $17 a month and have 3 dvds out at a time.

Netflix has a good online section of TV shows, mostly multiple entire seasons. It's something that's supposed to be a bonus to the service, not replace the service itself.
My family has been waiting for Netflix support on the PS3 for awhile. This is great news.
No Surprise There.
The online netflix streaming is nice and all, but as it was pointed out the online streaming films isn't the best of selections. We have it for our blue-ray player, and it's mostly pretty old movies, or really bad ones. Netflix though is worth it alone for the actual dvd rentals though.

edit: Actually I take that back about the streaming. It does have a ton of TV shows up on it if I recall.
Maggeh wrote:
The online netflix streaming is nice and all, but as it was pointed out the online streaming films isn't the best of selections. We have it for our blue-ray player, and it's mostly pretty old movies, or really bad ones. Netflix though is worth it alone for the actual dvd rentals though.

Yeah, honestly seems like the psn store has more up to date movies and series. And more genres too.

Anyway, im assuming i'll be able to use this since i have netflix already.

Pmitch wrote:
Maggeh wrote:

Yeah, honestly seems like the psn store has more up to date movies and series. And more genres too.

Anyway, im assuming i'll be able to use this since i have netflix already.

Yeah, you just have to order a free special blue-ray disc or something like that (I suppose that's how they got around Microsoft's exclusivity deal).