ID:85087

Resolved
Fixed in 456
BYOND Version:455.1046
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 8.0

This issue has been resolved.
Duplicates:id:85114, id:85089
Descriptive Problem Summary:There is no sound.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:1.Open dream daemon using a desktop item, quick launch icon, start menu button, or any other means like using the pager for example.

2.Code in a simple sound thing, I used in my example a .wma .mid and .wav and none of the three worked. I used a otherwise blank project and tried the code below.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
mob
Login()
src<<sound('d2.mid')

I tried using src<<'d2.mid'

or tried using usr instead or src.client, client, or usr.client just to see if some weird bug with using src or usr or something, but nothing seems to make the sound start up. I continue to hear nothing.

Expected Results:There to be sound.

Actual Results:No sound.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every Time
In other games?No, but this is only because if I try and open any other game in byond that's not hosted using the newest version 455.1046, the client crashes every time.
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?When not having installed the beta client I get sound just fine.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

The version listed on the page, a 454 version im guessing, one version lower than the beta.

Workarounds:Use the 454 client instead.

http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=670

These are likely manifests of the same bug, a sound bug. I am not looking for a reason for the crash that happens only in multi-player mode and not single player mode, because if sound does work, then it wont crash anymore no matter what anyways.
Just FYI, this is also fixed in the 455.1047 currently available on the download page. Somehow the sound DLL we distribute with BYOND got corrupted in the previous version.