You could do the regular parts of your game using the TOPDOWN_LAYER feature, and just do the iso parts separately. Mapping might be a bit of a pain so if you take that approach I'd just comment out the map_format line and recompile any time you work on the topdown maps, but otherwise that approach should work for you.
Lummox JR wrote:
You could do the regular parts of your game using the TOPDOWN_LAYER feature, and just do the iso parts separately. Mapping might be a bit of a pain so if you take that approach I'd just comment out the map_format line and recompile any time you work on the topdown maps, but otherwise that approach should work for you.

This may be a lot to ask man but any way you could work up a little something to help me better understand? BYOND has changed so much and we both know I have some demos out that are well...crappy. Just don't want to release anything like that again and would really just like to better understand all these new things in DM.
How do i get started then?
how do i make a game now
Click the "Get Started" link on the top right.
Foomer wrote:
Click the "Get Started" link on the top right.

thank but which one
the on that say links in the brackets
Did you read what it said there?

I started with ZBT. You can start with whichever one appeals to you.
Cool. It's nice to see BYOND evolve like this. There sure have been a lot of nice changes since when I started in 2001, from robust sound support (FMOD?) with new formats and options, to self-packaged redistributable files, to fully modifiable interfaces, and now isometric tiling. I can't wait to see what's coming next.

Weird thing though, I followed everything in this article exactly to the point without any changes, and at the part where it gets to:

"Moving around in this system should look pretty fluid, with one exception. If you move diagonally behind a wall, you'll see your mob temporarily drawn on top of the wall."

I did not have this problem, my smiley was correctly drawn behind the block when positioned as in the example screenshot. Not sure why, but yay for not having to mess with layers now.
I'm sure there have been updates to the isometric system since that post, so it was probably fixed. They just need to post more articles.
Oh my gosh, didn't even realize how old this post was. That's crazy. We've had stuff like this for that long? Pretty cool.
Leon.s.kennedy.123456789 wrote:
hey can you tell me what i do

Go to the developer forum and make a post in Code Problems, you'll have a much better chance getting help there.
So I should be able to do everything else? Like missiles if I were to make some sort of army game? Do I have to add special code for it to work with an isometric map, or is it just the same code I would use in any other game?
Proteen wrote:
So I should be able to do everything else? Like missiles if I were to make some sort of army game? Do I have to add special code for it to work with an isometric map, or is it just the same code I would use in any other game?

Everything is pretty much the same, except you have to add in special height related effects yourself.
Movement is the same as it ever was. It will be handled automatically.
Hey dude i have a question ummm.... well how do you edit the size of an icon when it was already edited if you cant explain when icon share is back up try and edit this one:Vegeta GBC ssj and:Vegeta GBC ssj4 and upload i need your help if you can help please do so

Thanks
Dbz
32X32
I love this tut thank for the help!!!
Yes.
And this is how you succesfully make a Isometric game:
Final Fantasy Tactics is how you successfully make an isometric game...
Page: 1 2 3