ID:85564

This issue has been marked as a duplicate of id:85826
BYOND Version:455
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 3.5.5

This issue has been marked as a duplicate of id:85826
Descriptive Problem Summary:
My game will not even start with this update, dream daemon just crashes when it tries to host it. I can't run it from Dream Maker either, it just says trying to connect to file and then does the connecting dots infinitely. This does NOT happen in v454.1036, after that version it happens.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Host my game in v455.1046+

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
My game to not freeze on running.

Actual Results:
My game freeze on running.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? Unknown
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
v454.1036

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
v454.1036

Workarounds:
v454.1036
First, update to v.457 as that fixes a few bugs.

Does it only happen with this game or with other files as well? Can you provide us a copy of the game, or better, a smaller demo that shows the same problem?
Tom wrote:
First, update to v.457 as that fixes a few bugs.

Does it only happen with this game or with other files as well? Can you provide us a copy of the game, or better, a smaller demo that shows the same problem?

I've had it tested with every version after 455, same results. Where should I be sending it to?
Send it to Lummox JR at [email protected], as he's currently working on bug fixes for this release. Best if you can provide source. And if not, what would really help would be a demo that isolates the problem. You haven't told me if it happens in every game (or in any other game) as well.
There are no clues, no errors, nothing that I can see to indicate what the problem is, I'm going to have to do a lot of testing if I want to make a demo of something I don't fully understand.

Also I haven't heard any one else on the forums or anything with this problem and I don't own any other BYOND games.. But I expect it doesn't happen to every game or else there would be a major riot going on right about now.

I guess I have no choice but to isolate the problem =/ Dammit.. Well at least I know it's crashing on start-up so it must be somewhere in the earlier run code.
If you can't provide a demo, just the source for the game itself will do fine. (You don't have to worry about the source leaking this way or anything. Back in the day I used to send Incursion's source code to Dan.)

A big question I have is whether you recompiled after you upgraded to 455, and if so whether you set map_format to TILED_ICON_MAP. With a game compiled before 455 you shouldn't be seeing any difference, but if you recompile in a newer version you do need to update map_format to maintain compatibility (in many cases). It's possible that you're seeing different behavior if you recompiled without making the necessary changes.

I also have another question on the terminology. You mentioned Dream Daemon crashes, but you said your game is freezing. Is it freezing, crashing, or both? Or does it crash in DD, but freeze in DS? A freeze could be normal behavior for a game caught in an infinite loop, but a crash is obviously something we never want to happen.
Lummox JR wrote:
A big question I have is whether you recompiled after you upgraded to 455, and if so whether you set map_format to TILED_ICON_MAP. With a game compiled before 455 you shouldn't be seeing any difference, but if you recompile in a newer version you do need to update map_format to maintain compatibility (in many cases). It's possible that you're seeing different behavior if you recompiled without making the necessary changes.

I also have another question on the terminology. You mentioned Dream Daemon crashes, but you said your game is freezing. Is it freezing, crashing, or both? Or does it crash in DD, but freeze in DS? A freeze could be normal behavior for a game caught in an infinite loop, but a crash is obviously something we never want to happen.

I recompiled and put the whole world/map_format= TILED_ICON_MAP thing and all that stuff, no difference.

Dream Daemon crashes on run, when I run it from within the Dream Maker environment which I guess would be Dream Seeker running it, it opens the options box with text saying "Trying to connect to file blahblah............................................................................................................................................................................................................" And just goes on with the dots until I close it, then Dream Seeker crashes after that (sometimes it brings up the 'send error report to microsoft' box 2 or 3 times..)

Edit:
Tried v458, no difference.

If none of what I said helps I'll have no choice but to zip and send the source.
Yes, you need to send the source. We have nothing to test without it. No other project has been known to crash DD in the newer versions.
Since the fix to issue 748 this is no longer crashing. I believe this is the same issue, so it should be fixed in version 459.