ID:85587

Keywords: mid, open, query, source
Currently, I'm only aware of two semi-decent commercial portable media players that work as mobile internet device, Apple's iPod Touch and the Archos 5 Internet Tablet, yet nothing open sourced like Pandora.

I dislike the fact that the commercial products are rather highly branded (with their own stores and restrictions) and lack support for functionality I'd like to use.

The product should contain:
  • Touch Screen
  • WiFi
  • Built-in speaker and microphone
  • Power adapter/charger
  • GPS (as add-on, or pre-installed)
  • USB-port
  • Video out/in
  • Freely edible OS
  • Support software for run most common file-formates (e.g. VLC)
  • Webbrowser with Flash support (pref. FF)

I do not need a portable (gaming) console like Pandora, though I'd certainly enjoy being able to play (best with the iPod's shake feature) some games.

I'd greatly appreciate any hints or directions.
Thank you in advance!
The iPhone and iTouch support a fair few of those. The iPhone has the everything from and including GPS and above. The iTouch lacks a microphone and GPS.

I'd quite like Flash and Java support for these little toys as well.

Editing the OS is neither here nor there to me (though I would like to get rid of a few of the standard iTouch apps that I don't need but they wont let me delete. Apparently, to own an iTouch, you obviously have shares in the stock market!).
It's a good thing you don't need a Pandora, because they're a year behind their production schedule. Last year I tried to get in on the first wave only to have PayPal reject my payment due to a rule they have about products needing to ship within 30 days. I've contemplated getting back in on that since there seems to still be time, but at this point I think I might wait until they've actually got a physical product and just get in on the next production run.

Apple's strong belief in tethered technology is why I won't own one of their devices. I despise the idea of being tied to artificial limitations on what I can and can't install.
Tiberath wrote:
The iPhone and iTouch support a fair few of those. The iPhone has the everything from and including GPS and above. The iTouch lacks a microphone and GPS.

Editing the OS is neither here nor there to me (though I would like to get rid of a few of the standard iTouch apps that I don't need but they wont let me delete. Apparently, to own an iTouch, you obviously have shares in the stock market!).

OH SHII THE BIRTHDAY BOY KNOWS EVERYTHING BOUT HIS NEW IPOD TOUCH LOL
TAC0_MAST3R wrote:
OH SHII THE BIRTHDAY BOY KNOWS EVERYTHING BOUT HIS NEW IPOD TOUCH LOL

Surely you have somewhere else on the Internet to be an idiot?
Tiberath wrote:

And that point is what I'd see as massive drawback to the iPod Touch as a mobile internet device, given the importance of flash and other similar technologies on the web today.
One of the main points I'm seeking an alternative.

Tiberath wrote:
Editing the OS is neither here nor there to me (...).

I dislike the restrictions these systems come with. I don't want to use iTunes, or the Archos store to purchase software or media, but have full freedom on where and how I gather my sources.
Qubic wrote:
Sony Vaio P Series? It's small, could fit in your back pockets and is a laptop!

I liked it until I saw the price-tag.
I was hoping for something in the range of 200-400$ and not 900-2000$ ;)

As for a built in keyboard, I think I'd prefer alternatives.
Lummox JR wrote:
I despise the idea of being tied to artificial limitations on what I can and can't install.

I couldn't agree more with your preference there. Monopoles might be desirable for a company, but certainly do not help customers in the long run.

Tiberath wrote:

I second the flash-java notion, my guess is, by the time they're able to stick 512MB of RAM in the iPod/iPhone (they just doubled it to 256MB with the most recent models), they'll have Flash and Java support (though they'll still be toned down at best, because of keyboard limitations).

The OS is also freely editable if you jailbreak :P. A recent objective-C-Javascript hybrid language has the ability to hook directly into the OS fairly easily (I'm really looking forward to digging into it when the language itself is more finalized!). Also, jailbreakers can easily hide apps in springboard (like SBSettings).