ID:85827

Resolved
Fixed in 460
BYOND Version:458
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 8.0

This issue has been resolved.
Duplicates:id:86697, id:86611
Descriptive Problem Summary:Lots of weird artifacts happen everywhere, icons changing randomly basically where no icon change should be happening, seems to happen to mobs quite a lot, rather than all the other objects and turfs in game i dont ever see it on.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:Login to a game with 458, ROH-Darkness version and you will see when you go to monsters, they will look like people, or hp, mp bars and other random icon stuffs and keep changing and such.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:Them to look like they are supposed to, i've seen it on other ROH versions at times, maybe related to having a different byond version for some reason does it, i am not sure.

Actual Results:You get some rather uncool effects that hinder gameplay

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Seems to now be every time, maybe broke even worse with later byond versions.
In other games?Yes
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?Dont know

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

unsure

Workarounds:not sure, maybe make important things objects or use image() might work, possibly.
Your report is missing pretty much most of the info I would need to test the problem. You mentioned graphical problems but have no screenshot--not that it's required but it would help. Your numbered steps to reproduce the problem are not a set of numbered steps, and are very much lacking in detail. I at least need the numbered steps filled out. Please edit your report to include that information.

I also have follow-up questions:

Does this happen if you turn hardware acceleration on or off in DS's settings? (If not, does toggling it back to its previous setting cause the bug to reappear?)
What video cards are you using on these systems?
Which games did you try (include links to their hub entries)?
Were all of those games on remote servers or did this also happen on games you ran yourself?
Does rebooting your computer(s) make the problem go away?
Does resetting your BYOND cache make the problem go away?
Can you verify if this happens on older versions and if so, how far back?
numbered steps is to just join a game, i said, it seems to happen when i join ROH - Darkness version. I had not checked hardware acceleration, but, the server was restarted, maybe to install new byond, and now it no longer is erroring.

the video card is not playing a role in this, as it happens with 4 different video cards.

the games i noticed it on were not ones i was hosting, i believe it may not like me using a different client than that the one the server uses to host with.

rebooting computer does not solve the issue.
resetting cache does not fix the issue.
i have only noticed it since the change which has allowed for all the new stuff such as isometrical stuff.
I actually need answers to all of those questions, and I still need you to fill out the numbered steps in detail. Take your time if you need to but the more detail you can put in there, the better.

You have still not mentioned the hub entry addresses of any games you tried. You've only mentioned one game at all, and that only by name. I need links, not names--and more than one since your bug report mentioned this happens with multiple games. This is the kind of important information that is consistently missing from your bug reports.

Have you tried downgrading to see if this has the same problem on older versions?

When you say the problem went away, has it gone away for all games or just the one you were playing?
I'm getting extreme artifacts in some pre-455 games as well, it appears just as you described too.
Mista-mage123 wrote:
I'm getting extreme artifacts in some pre-455 games as well, it appears just as you described too.

Is that on pre-455 servers/clients as well? If you have answers to any of the questions I've asked Superbike so far, especially links to those hub entries, it could go a long way toward helping me see the problem.
http://www.byond.com/games/Xerse/RiseOfHeroes?tab=live

You should be able to get on any RoH server.

The steps were in my original post, however, they just weren't numbered...

1.Join a server.
2.Go to monsters.
3.There is an error, it should be easily obvious if you stick around try to fight some enemies. Their icon changes erratically. It will even seem to change to icons which I haven't even seen yet in the game anywhere, and between different icon files.
That's still just one game, and you didn't answer the rest of my questions. "Go to monsters" is obviously something that applies to only one particular game, and when I asked for numbered steps with details I meant you should not only number your steps, but expand on them because what you had listed was way too vague. Even in the one game, "Go to monsters" doesn't tell me anything about what I'm supposed to be doing; I joined a server and saw no "Monsters" command or tab or anything. Your info needs to be at least specific enough that someone who hasn't played a given game can jump in and see the issue you're seeing. There is still not enough information to investigate the report.

I asked you several direct questions in my last reply which you have not responded to at all, and several questions I asked in the beginning are still unanswered. You should be providing links to the hub entries you tried in every bug report, instead of merely saying the issue "happens in ROH". Or at least when asked (the first time) for links to the hub entries you've tried, you should reply with those links.

This is the third time I've had to ask you several of these questions. Before you hit Save on your reply, I ask that you make sure you have responded to every question I've asked you so far, and where I've told you that the information is lacking in detail, clarify it with as much precision as you can. There is no need to rush; your response doesn't have to be written in 30 seconds, it only has to be complete.
go to monsters means go to enemies, the main thing in all games, something u fight, go to the north cave in RoH to get to monsters, and im not going to list some extensive 100 list of games, multiple servers with different codes and stuff there under RoH hub should be enough, while its not every game in the world, it is good enough.

Saying monsters is a command or tab would be stupid.

If you need something more than this, just join byond://76.187.40.44:5000 and i will help u as much as possible to try and find the bug...it is one of the RoH games millions other have flooded my chat with about saying they also have the error.

also considering you haven't joined it, i am guessing u did not do too much to find the bug, since the server has been up since ive filed the report, 24/7 server and u havent joined....so, i advise you to join the server and look for the error that is insanely easy to spot rather than ask for way more information when the info needed to see the error is right in front of your face.
Original poster has failed to provide additional information. Still further testing with multiple versions revealed no trace of this issue. Awaiting further detailed information to provide a positive test case.
These are some screenshots, the monsters are circled in red, and obviously don't look like monsters, and their icon just keeps changing and changing.

I have been informed it likes to happen after clearing cache or bringing up the game with a different key, I don't know if it's right, but, he did get the bug produced.

http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ Copy%20%282%29%20of%20New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG
http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ Copy%20%283%29%20of%20New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG
http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ Copy%20of%20New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG
http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG

The pictures show the error, and obviously I can't circle worth shit, but should give you an idea where the monsters are supposed to be, one of them is from the cave that had the slimes in it that you were trying to produce the bug from in before just a few minutes ago.

NOTE:This happened when a 458 client joined a server using version 458 to host, this also goes to the proof u wanted to see that the bug did not get fixed in 458.
Superbike32 wrote:
These are some screenshots, the monsters are circled in red, and obviously don't look like monsters, and their icon just keeps changing and changing.

I have been informed it likes to happen after clearing cache or bringing up the game with a different key, I don't know if it's right, but, he did get the bug produced.

http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ Copy%20%282%29%20of%20New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG
http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ Copy%20%283%29%20of%20New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG
http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ Copy%20of%20New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG
http://www.byond.com/members/Superbike32/files/ New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%283%29.JPG

The pictures show the error, and obviously I can't circle worth shit, but should give you an idea where the monsters are supposed to be, one of them is from the cave that had the slimes in it that you were trying to produce the bug from in before just a few minutes ago.

NOTE:This happened when a 458 client joined a server using version 458 to host, this also goes to the proof u wanted to see that the bug did not get fixed in 458.

Looks like some sort of problem in the texture/graphics cache
Nielz wrote:
Looks like some sort of problem in the texture/graphics cache

This is essentially what we (the Goonstation nerds) have tracked it down to. It seems to be originating from updated game resources getting corrupted somewhere. It started out any time we'd update the sprites, icons would glitch out. There is no uniformity as to which sprites will end up jumbled, and the glitch will vary between clients.

We have found a workaround in that clearing your cache and either waiting for a new round or switching servers seems to clear it up temporarily, but we can't seem to go more than five minutes without adding or modifying our game resources these days which only recreates the problem.

Also, some of our players have reported that disabling hardware graphics rendering seems to clear the issue as well.
Pantaloons wrote:
Also, some of our players have reported that disabling hardware graphics rendering seems to clear the issue as well.

This is a critical piece of info. I need to know if this happens only in hardware mode, only in software mode, or both, and whether toggling hardware rendering on or off when the bug is active causes it to disappear--and also importantly, whether toggling it back causes the bug to reappear.
Lummox JR wrote:
This is a critical piece of info. I need to know if this happens only in hardware mode, only in software mode, or both, and whether toggling hardware rendering on or off when the bug is active causes it to disappear--and also importantly, whether toggling it back causes the bug to reappear.

On further testing, toggling hardware rendering does not affect the issue one way or another; however, logging out, clearing the cache, and logging back in seems to randomize which sprites are corrupted.
As a data-point, hardware/non-hardware graphics switching makes no difference to the bug on my system (Windows XP SP 3).

Another issue which might give a clue shows in this screenshot:

http://www.byond.com/members/Hobnob/files/misc/ gs13%2Diconbug.png

Here only some of the airlock door icons are showing as bugged on screen (they appear as the cyan "O2" hud icon instead), but note that in the right-click popup verb menu, none of the icons correctly match the screen atoms. This is true of every item on screen if I pop-up the verb menu - the menu icons are never correct even if the object is being displayed on the map correctly.
This menu thing does seem to be useful information so I'm looking into that now. It would help if I had a project to replicate this in, but joining an SS13 server won't help because I have no idea how to get to a point where I can check this stuff out, so a simpler game (or better still a demo) would be the best choice.

Out of curiosity what OS are you using?
I also get this bug, using Win XP SP3. The right click menu icons also never match the correct in game ones either for me.
Another point is that if the atoms icon is affected, so are all its others - for example, one of our doors has an "opening" animation, which if the base door icon is affected, this animation is then also affected, and will cycle through random (unanimated, unrelated) icons before returning to the original incorrect ones.
Also, having just looked, the icons it will cycle through all come from the same file, which is not the one the correct icon is from.
In response to hobnob as well, when I right click on an icon that is showing incorrectly in game, it is always correct in the verb menu, and the ones that are displaying correctly in game are incorrect in the verb menu. Don't know if that helps at all.
Lummox JR wrote:
This menu thing does seem to be useful information so I'm looking into that now. It would help if I had a project to replicate this in, but joining an SS13 server won't help because I have no idea how to get to a point where I can check this stuff out, so a simpler game (or better still a demo) would be the best choice.

Out of curiosity what OS are you using?

I personally get this issue on both Win 7 and XP SP3. However, I have never been able to reproduce the issue when testing locally.

Our server is running FreeBSD and is using version 459.1051.
Bug fix: Reconnecting to certain games, or joining them after clearing the cache, could sometimes cause the wrong icon to be displayed on the map and/or on the right-click menu for some atoms. (Special thanks to Slurm and Hobnob for their assistance in reproducing this issue and testing the fix.)
Page: 1 2