ID:858705

Not a bug
BYOND Version:496.1141
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
Web Browser:Chrome 20.0.1132.47
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:The BYOND icon for opening the pager is incorrect. Instead of the normal blue atom, it is some little white paper with a window on it; this applies to both the start menu and the desktop shortcut.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:Go to control panel and delete BYOND, delete the shortcut from your desktop, run the installer for 496.1141, have it add BYOND to the desktop and start menu, go look at them after install and there is the icon issue.

Expected Results:The usual blue atom icon.

Actual Results:Some white paper icon with a pop up menu on it, resembling that of other windows programs that lack a icon or had an error; I forget which. It looks familiar.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every time. Tried re-installing, using ccleaer to clean registry, running as admin, and even restarting my computer.
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?Not tested.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? 495.1136 was my last version, I believe, and it worked fine.

Workarounds:Uh, bare with it? The program runs fine, but it is mildly annoying to see that icon in any case.

I just tested this on a clean machine and it worked fine for me. Nothing changed in this area between 495 and 496, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Usually a reboot clears things up when there are icon conflicts, but you said you tried that.
Tom changed status to 'Unverified'
Yeah, tried it twice actually. I did have a failed install last night, due to it being unable to write to byond.exe? or something like that,so I had to abort, reboot, and then install; maybe that somehow caused this?

I thought uninstalling it in the control panel, using ccleaner on the registry, and then re-installing would of reset anything like that though. It has yet to fail since then.
Finally got this fixed. After completely wiping out the BYOND folder in Program Files and doing a clean install I still had this issue, so I figured it must be windows. It seems I was right, the icon for the BYOND application was correct in the program files/byond/bin folder, so I made a shortcut of that for my desktop, and removed BYOND from my frequently used programs list in my start menu, and this fixed the icon in my byond start menu folder as well as the desktop issue.

I suspect this was caused by the original install error, and windows simply maintaining memory of the bad icon somewhere. Either way, just thought I'd mention that its fixed, and explain how to fix it for anyone else who may encounter this.
Tom resolved issue (Not a bug)