Hazordhu

by F0lak
Hazordhu
Explore a vast open world full of dangers and wonders
ID:86126

Keywords: review
This review has been modified slightly by the staff at BYOND RPG. To see the original version, please follow this link.

Gameplay: 8/10

The gameplay is the only part of the game that I even have a fault with.
The gameplay consists of three aspects

One:
Gathering
Gathering is the simple process of gaining raw materials through methods of: Mining, Chopping and digging.
There are multiple different types of Ore and Multiple types of resource that can be dug up. There truly is huge diversity in this game. Unfortunately, it takes a while to gather these resources. Generally tediously standing there and clicking a tree to death. There is are two gathering modes, Manual and Automatic. Automatic is slower, but requires nothing more than a double-click of the object, Manual is much faster, but requires good timing and when a bit laggy, is sometimes inaccurate.

Two:
Building
Building is a simple process, you must use resources that you gather in part with tools, of which there are at least twenty different, to build one of what I can only guess to be about 70 odd different objects.
These range from walls and doors, to wells and bridges. Chairs and Tables, to Swords and Sheilds. Again the game shows us its immense diversity.

Three:
Combat
Combat is another thing I have a slight problem with, with the exception of archery (Which I will cover soon) it is literally button bashing whilst facing your enemy.
Archery is much the same, but you must first face your enemy from a slight distance.
There aren't many enemies in the game, but I suspect many more are in the making, in Hazordhu version 4, there were about 10, now I only know of 5, and four of them aren't hostile!

The game doesn't require leveling, but instead you are fixed at a point, chosen by the 'heritage' you choose when you are making your character, which while rather unimaginative, stops mindless grinders from unbalancing the game.

There are 7 stats,
Health
Hunger
Dehydration
Stamina
Blood
Strength
Defense
All of which do their obvious trait,
Health - When this reach 0 you die
Blood - When you are hurt you will bleed, if your blood reaches 0 before the would heals, you will lose MORE health.
Stamina - If you Run instead of walk, you will lose stamina and pass out if it reaches 0. (I suggest avoiding this problem by getting a steed!)

Last thing on gameplay, the four seasons. They are Spring, Autumn, Summer and Winter. When winter comes, crops will die and water will freeze, when Autumn or Summer come, wild plants will grow and can be collectable.

Presentation: 9/10

The icons and sprites are all 100% original, created by F0lak, the games creator.
There are many many different icons, however most of which only have a single icon state and a single direction. Since the update from version 4 to 5, we have seen multiple directional Mobs, which are a very well done indeed.

The skin is ugly, unfortunately. Otherwise it would of been a 10, and still the icons are good enough to keep it from being lower. The skin is a sick-green colour, where buttons mix and match all over the place, in no real order. Rather annoyingly, the Inventory and Build, for lack of a better word, tabs, are windows, which clog up the screen, and often lead me to miss the corner of the map or the suchlike.

There are many many sounds in this game, each animal has it's own respective sound, and most if not all actions have a sound. Even walking! When a season changes you are met with a new sound, be it howling winds, or chirping birds.

Originality: 10/10

Nothing is old, nothing is ripped, it's all new. You won't find another game like Hazordhu on the interweb!

Overall: 9/10

It's a game that looks as if it's polished, but in reality is still a baby in the gaming world.
It's done to a hugely high standard, and can be played for hours on end. The community is great, with RP enforced strongly, and helpful.

I hope to see this game become one of BYOND's greatest.
Thank you for reading!

Strange. It pops up the fancy viewer for me. What browser are you using?
Firefox =/
Odd. Oh well. Just throwing stuff out there. The links are fine.
Thanks for the help, must be a problem on my end =(
Sooooooooo............how do I play this game?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Do you mean, how do I join the game? Or do you mean how do you litterally play on the game?
As in how can I play this game, where to download, I went to the hub but there was no way for me to play it. I want to physically be able to log into the game using a computer and connecting through the internet. Hopefully on planet Earth, if that helps ;)
Try the hub again... it's hosted...
This review is fail because it's more like an advertisement than a review.
I'd think that the general concept behind the game was referenced, not the specific implementation details. There are some similar games as in 'build something you like'. Though, I'd agree with you that this wouldn't and shouldn't influence the originality scale much. Coming up with a new concept is very tricky and only would happen once a decade nowadays, because of the sheer flood of concepts already in use. It is the realisation and implementation that counts for an original game, as well as the theme you choose for your engine.
Many thanks Schnitzelnagler. Atleast someone isn't 100% negative :P
That is a problem around BYOND often enough. And both sides are equally guilty (please note that I'm including myself here as well) there, because those providing feedback should put more emphasize on including advantages and those reading on the feedback should take it at a less personal level.
The phenomenon is most often found on the Developers forum, where a volunteer might tell somebody to delete the code and start anew. While that isn't exactly decent customer support, it isn't meant as offence and instead should hint at a wrong implementation.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
I'd think that the general concept behind the game was referenced, not the specific implementation details. There are some similar games as in 'build something you like'. Though, I'd agree with you that this wouldn't and shouldn't influence the originality scale much. Coming up with a new concept is very tricky and only would happen once a decade nowadays, because of the sheer flood of concepts already in use. It is the realisation and implementation that counts for an original game, as well as the theme you choose for your engine.

hazordhu's "realisation and implementation" are what are not original. they are akin to Polatrite's Survival and Halcyon122's Archipelago; a freeform sandbox world where you must gather resources by performing mundane tasks in order to build structures or create items. obviously there are far more similarities than that, but i'm not going to waste time going into detail on every individual lack of originality unless you really want me to
Actually, 'building' in a sandbox is a concept rather than an implementation.
Implementation would be details on how you build, ranging from possible choices, to GUI. Where you can hardly find a new concept (as you have noted there is a vast amount of games similar in concept, because there are only so many possibilities), the implementation might differ. If you compare SimCity and Survival, you'll find that both rely on the concept of building a successful structure, yet, the implementation of the concept is very different.

In this case, both Survival and Archipelago are centred around surviving in a hostile environment, which isn't really the case with Hazordhu. The actual way of building your structure is much different as well, because of the respective themes (one playing in the civilisation and thus cratering advanced technology like a forge, the other relying on workarounds).
I edited the site's CSS to make the review formatting a bit better. I also changed the screenshot links to actual images. Clicking the larger screenshots will open the fullsize version.
I disagree with the Originality factor. Many aspects of Hazordhu are not new ideas or concepts, the game is just presented in a different way. BYOND has had several types of games, all with similar concepts.
I trimmed a huge chunk of the comments which aren't really related to this review (and some that were, whoops!). If you still want to debate BYOND RPG quality control issues, you can reply to the forum post about it here.
awesome game
Page: 1 2