Wargames

by Acebloke
Wargames
[AMT] Join the war or build a city
ID:862326

Its been awhile, and people probably think I'm dead.

Reality is I've been messing with the HUD layout, not much just switching it around to be on the top rather than the right. This took an unbelievable amount of time as I also had to rearrange the ministry data screens as well. In all honesty, although it took me a lot longer than expected, I'm still happy with it and just glad its over now. This is the first time the HUD has changed sides in the 7-8 years of Wargames as far as I remember.

The main thing is when I am working on it, its features from here on out. I'm determined to finish my revamp of the space race system before an update and official server comes out. My main reason for doing space now is that in recent rounds a number of people have been getting to space tech, and as a mid to end-game feature it deserves a bit more attention as more players are taking advantage of its benefits.

So what am I doing with the space system? Well for a start, there is a couple more layers to it to flesh it out even more. When I'm done with it, it should have an extreme start era of the Enlightenment era, where you start off with rocket technology and it grows with time. This system is also less linear, you can choose to avoid certain techs, or at least delay it until you want to do a more technical element.

This is done by a branch system in which there are three: Rocketry, Animals and 'Space'. These branches intertwine with each other for a less rigid system. The research is essentially the same, but there is some graphical element to it rather than just plain text in the output box. The Rocketry tree also allows a couple more map based weapons to be included to cover pre-WW2 eras.

An added bonus to this new system is that the research speed bonus for doing space tech is now potentially greater. I've also reduced the cost of a lot of the earlier, pre man-on-moon space techs, although the new research adds some, its still less of a financial burden when you have to decide on early space or era upgrades.

Finally, there's the progression to further stages which I've still to do. Space Stations should return, albiet in a different capacity to its failed attempts in previous inclusions which ended up crashing the game 75% through a round. The other is a space exploration program in which you aim to get an instrument as distant as possible to Earth as possible. This will have the added bonus of being an ongoing element, with distance being covered by turns rather than an instant success or fail, and with the potential to be virtually limitless in its endgoal, so its something that you can aspire to beat in future games. The level of your space tech (fuel, guidance etc) will also factor into its potential ability, allowing for a degree of customisation.

A major change will also be that getting to 0 land will require a forced restart, and you won't be able to simply rebuild. I believe this is fair enough to make the game more competitive and prevent missile/nuke use by countries that are essentially destroyed.

So to round up: More open Space tech, more space tech, new space tech with even more additional features that translate to the rest of the game, and of course the change in HUD positions.
nice
The new additions to space sound very interesting. I love(LOVE!) the forced restart when you hit 0 land. I also cant wait to see how you changed the HUD.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MR. ACEBLOKE :)
Looking forward to these changes.

"KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MR ACEBLOKE :)"
-Superfetch
Acebloke wrote:
A major change will also be that getting to 0 land will require a forced restart, and you won't be able to simply rebuild. I believe this is fair enough to make the game more competitive and prevent missile/nuke use by countries that are essentially destroyed.

Now I need to work out a new layout for my nation.
Glad to see you're still working on this Ace.