ID:865562

BYOND Version:496.1143
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 20.0.1132.57
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Maptext is displayed differently between software and hardware modes in Dream Seeker. From what I can tell, the text is like 1 pixel taller in hardware mode and doesn't have anti-alias.

This is a problem when your graphics are designed around a certain size of text, but people see two different sizes (in my case, software mode shows the one I like, but most people use hardware mode).

I'm using 8pt Verdana, if that information will help. I haven't had time to test others.

Expected Results:
To look somewhat the same or at least be the same size.

Actual Results:
Different looks/sizes.

The problem is that the maptext var displays the text in the format you set on your map element. By this, i mean that if you go to the skin, and edit the things in the Appearance tab, it changes the text...

So really, any user who changes their skin files could probably get different appearances.. js..
In response to RageFury33
RageFury33 wrote:
The problem is that the maptext var displays the text in the format you set on your map element. By this, i mean that if you go to the skin, and edit the things in the Appearance tab, it changes the text...

So really, any user who changes their skin files could probably get different appearances.. js..

Unless you disable editing skins.

This has nothing to do with this bug, though.
Hmm? Sorry then, I must have misinterpreted the problem.
I'm not sure this is really fixable because it's just going by what the rendering engine does, and they may have different implementations. Although I read somewhere that DX actually used software GDI for drawing.

The lack of anti-alias appears to be card-dependent and is something I've looked into a few times but haven't figured out. That seems like a worse problem because on some machines (including mine), hardware rendering looks pretty bad when scaled.
Just to add to this. It seems there are countless differences. All of which are in hardware mode. Some text is bold when it shouldn't be, alignments are screwed up, and in most cases the text is just really ugly. It seems perfect in software mode, though.

The top is software, the bottom is hardware.

It's at the point I just don't know what to do. I want to use maptext because there's a lot of text I'm working with, but I can't force people into software mode, and even if I could, I'd have to take a performance hit just for the text to look nice.
Well, you can force people into software mode by having a transparent window in your interface -- not recommended though.
I have the same issue except that in hardware mode I, in some cases, will see text as italic and all instances of font-style do not have any impact whatsoever on text. Having italic text in some cases is a big problem as it really increases the odds that text will be moved outside of its boundaries.