ID:866770

so i was recently frustrated that i cant play space station 13 on ubuntu, i have windows but still i want to play on ubuntu because it is way better than windows, any hlep would be appreciated thanks.
You could install WINE, I am not sure how supported BYOND is on WINE anymore.

Or install a VM (Virtual Machine) with Windows installed on it...
A VM generally is the more acceptable option in most cases for maximum compatibility.
I used to play BYOND with Wine, but I don't recommend you to install it on Ubuntu if you want to play Space Station 13. The html will probably bug your window and force you to be unavailable to play. You basically have to do everything by clicking with your mouse, if you were basically writting your name and you pressed the enter key you wouldn't be able to receive the next alert, well, that was my case in BYOND.

You could always install a VM, it's much better.
you guys are taking it simply, to install a VM on an ubuntu, thats about 2 days of installing, because its pretty complicated.
It's really not two days to do that. I'd say ... an hour or two, mostly due to the Windows install process.
In response to Needicla
Needicla wrote:
you guys are taking it simply, to install a VM on an ubuntu, thats about 2 days of installing, because its pretty complicated.

I've just installed a Windows 7 VM image using VMWare Player in just under 45 minutes, including the time it took to download the Tiny7 image and set up the VM. Now granted, my internet is pretty zesty, but leaving out the download time, I'd say anywhere between 25 - 45 minutes is reasonable.

Especially if its on Ubuntu, where installing VMware is a single command and about 20 seconds of download/setup time :)
Couldn't the game be ported to sdl so that those on other platforms with extreme space issues can play because VMWare + windows is not very light on the hd space.
It could be, sure.
There's been a few attempts so far - none successful as far as I'm aware.
any error logs? I'd like to see how far they got. If worst comes to worst release the code of the port in progress and let the community handle it.
What would error logs have to do with it? It'd be a pretty time-consuming process to port SS13 into another language. They just never got far.
In response to Jfmherokiller
Rebuilding Space Station 13 in another language is a pretty daunting task. There have been numerous attempts but most of them end up fading away.

The two ongoing projects to recreate Space Station 13 I'm aware of are:

http://spacestation13.com/
http://www.centration.co/
I mean just port the c++ code of byond to lunix so we will have linux binaries of byond.exe,dreamseeker.exe so we can play the game on lunix without a vm or wine.
Jfmherokiller wrote:
I mean just port the c++ code of byond to lunix so we will have linux binaries of byond.exe,dreamseeker.exe so we can play the game on lunix without a vm or wine.

You said "the game" so I figured you meant SS13. It's quite possible to port SS13's code to another language.

BYOND on the other hand is a whole other beast, and I don't see it happening any time soon. It'd be very time-consuming and might not pay off very well, in a business-sense. There is a flash client in the works though, so you could use that for playing and... Some people are trying to make an IDE which might work with Linux - not sure how that's going.
for the record thought if byond's system gets fully ported to lunix the only thing ss13 will have to change is its mysql.dll file it will have to be recompiled as a lunix so (shared object) file
Jfmherokiller wrote:
for the record thought if byond's system gets fully ported to lunix the only thing ss13 will have to change is its mysql.dll file it will have to be recompiled as a lunix so (shared object) file

BYOND's system won't ever get ported to lunix. And I doubt a mysql client exists for lunix. Does anyone still use a commodore 64 or 128 anymore?
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
Jfmherokiller wrote:

BYOND's system won't ever get ported to lunix. And I doubt a mysql client exists for lunix. Does anyone still use a commodore 64 or 128 anymore?
-------------
They might surprise us all. And a mysql client does exist for Linux its called phpmyadmin.And people still do use commodore 64 or 128 but its usually though an emulator.
Jfmherokiller wrote:
They might surprise us all. And a mysql client does exist for Linux its called phpmyadmin.And people still do use commodore 64 or 128 but its usually though an emulator.

You said Lunix which is a Unix-like operating system for Commodore 64s and 128s. And phpmyadmin isn't a mysql client, it's a mysql administration client. Pretty significant difference.
I'll take my leave now.
well I'm sorry it was a spelling mistake I am extremely common at making.You may be right about phpmyadmin. but there are clients such as Mysql-Workbench.
Your best bet is, none-the-less, to just create a VM image and run BYOND in it. Most of them support a mode where you can basically start applications as if they were a part of Linux.
Page: 1 2