ID:86852

Newest version of Teridal is officially complete and ready to be played. In this version, the game has countless new features, graphical changes, and content.

You can view detailed information about the changes here.

See more information here!

The official Teridal website is still in development, but it will be able to be viewed at http://www.teridal.com once it is finished.

Or jump right into a server:
Flamedred Server
Thornspear Server

Hope to see you playing!
What's Teridal?
IcewarriorX wrote:
What's Teridal?

Seika.
Oh, should've just said Seika.
Very nice, still looking forward to those quests and melee skills :)
The Naked Ninja wrote:
Very nice, still looking forward to those quests and melee skills :)

Quests are scheduled for version 24.8, but the rework of the magery/ability system might not be for a version or two after.
Single player?
Foomer wrote:
Single player?

Sorry, the game will be treated as an online game from here on out. The files will no longer be handed out.
you mean seika? yeah i refuse to play since you changed the name after waht 5-6 years? not cool
Specdrix wrote:
you mean seika? yeah i refuse to play since you changed the name after waht 5-6 years? not cool

It was changed to have a more unique name, to have better control of the name, and to give the game new life.

The game is pretty much nothing like it used to be, so really it's a new game altogether using the same framework.

I don't see why you wouldn't play a game because of the name, but that's your own business.
For anyone complaining about the name change, although I like Seika better as a name, here's a good reason to change it:

Seika is a very common Japanese word and name. If you search for Seika on Google, you will get many, many search results before ever seeing anything about BYOND.

If you search for Teridal on Google, teridal.com will be your first result and your second result will be Teridal hub page. Google will also list videos for the game and other resources. So for finding out more about this game and searching for it by name, Teridal is a much more effective name to use.
Foomer wrote:
For anyone complaining about the name change, although I like Seika better as a name, here's a good reason to change it:

Seika is a very common Japanese word and name. If you search for Seika on Google, you will get many, many search results before ever seeing anything about BYOND.

If you search for Teridal on Google, teridal.com will be your first result and your second result will be Teridal hub page. Google will also list videos for the game and other resources. So for finding out more about this game and searching for it by name, Teridal is a much more effective name to use.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)
It's fine, I stopped in to play "Teridal" after not having played it since it was known as "Seika" back about 4 years ago.

Needless to say, I no longer like the game and the introduction is far too long.
Radical Designs wrote:
It's fine, I stopped in to play "Teridal" after not having played it since it was known as "Seika" back about 4 years ago.

Needless to say, I no longer like the game and the introduction is far too long.

The two minute introduction?
The game is lacking quite a bit but it's far from a bad game. As far as the introduction goes it should be optional, because that's not the only complaint I've heard about it.

Having a story is wonderful and should be encouraged, but your method does place quite a drag on people eager to play without providing any real sense of entertainment. It reminds me a bit of runescape, in the sense that it takes so long (As far as these things go) to actually play the game, that you'd rather do something else. First impressions are the important ones.

Doesn't help as well that the way the game is introduced has no real influence on the game itself. You open with a story and NPC interaction, then you are left to your own in a world with no NPC interaction other than vendors/combat and constant grinding. It still needs alot of work between the beginning and end.
The Naked Ninja wrote:
The game is lacking quite a bit but it's far from a bad game. As far as the introduction goes it should be optional, because that's not the only complaint I've heard about it.

Having a story is wonderful and should be encouraged, but your method does place quite a drag on people eager to play without providing any real sense of entertainment. It reminds me a bit of runescape, in the sense that it takes so long (As far as these things go) to actually play the game, that you'd rather do something else. First impressions are the important ones.

Doesn't help as well that the way the game is introduced has no real influence on the game itself. You open with a story and NPC interaction, then you are left to your own in a world with no NPC interaction other than vendors/combat and constant grinding. It still needs alot of work between the beginning and end.

It does have a lot of work left to be done. Story driven gameplay started being introduced into the game towards the end of progression and just recently at the start of the game. So the only story driven content is the intro and then the bosses towards the end game.

The middle content will be filled in the next update with quests and such.

You were originally going to be able to skip the introduction, but the problem is every single person will skip it and then ask tons of questions or not be able to figure out how to play and leave anyway.

I might allow people who already have a character on their account to be able to skip the intro. New players will be forced to do it, though.
One big problem is that your introduction doesn't answer any real questions. If you want a tutorial-type introduction, make it interactive at all times and have it capture each main aspect of the game.

From your introduction I do not learn how to loot, equip, drop items, practice a trade skill, gather materials, cast a spell, learn a spell, use the basic interface, compare equipment, train skills, tame a beast, or what I should do once I've been woken up and stripped of my power. It seems rather useless at the moment and honestly shouldn't be there until it's properly completed.

Having a 10 minute introduction where you're participating in actions to learn the game is much better than having an introductory 2 minute pause, and then a small session on how to auto-attack properly. I suggest finding a SWR or Smaug text MUD somewhere and just creating and playing a character through the introduction, you'll see what I mean. And note: while learning introductory things, it's always captivating to have each action you are learning provide a payoff. If you're taking a minute to kill a mob, you should get EXP. If you take a few seconds to loot, you should gain a bit of gold. When you're done with the lot of them, give the new character level 2 for taking their time so it doesn't feel wasted. Those are just some examples of how to utilize an introductory tutorial to a game without allowing a bypass.
The Naked Ninja wrote:
One big problem is that your introduction doesn't answer any real questions. If you want a tutorial-type introduction, make it interactive at all times and have it capture each main aspect of the game.

From your introduction I do not learn how to loot, equip, drop items, practice a trade skill, gather materials, cast a spell, learn a spell, use the basic interface, compare equipment, train skills, tame a beast, or what I should do once I've been woken up and stripped of my power. It seems rather useless at the moment and honestly shouldn't be there until it's properly completed.

Having a 10 minute introduction where you're participating in actions to learn the game is much better than having an introductory 2 minute pause, and then a small session on how to auto-attack properly. I suggest finding a SWR or Smaug text MUD somewhere and just creating and playing a character through the introduction, you'll see what I mean. And note: while learning introductory things, it's always captivating to have each action you are learning provide a payoff. If you're taking a minute to kill a mob, you should get EXP. If you take a few seconds to loot, you should gain a bit of gold. When you're done with the lot of them, give the new character level 2 for taking their time so it doesn't feel wasted. Those are just some examples of how to utilize an introductory tutorial to a game without allowing a bypass.

The help system isn't finished yet. As you noticed, it suddenly stops. But once finished, it will continue to help you as you play. Much like a tip system.

As for the intro itself, it's a mixture of a story intro and a basic gameplay intro. This game has been going for over six years and the first question always asked is "how do you attack?". So attacking was included.
I'm only speaking from a player's perspective, that is an ongoing deterrence from the game that I've noticed.
The Naked Ninja wrote:
I'm only speaking from a player's perspective, that is an ongoing deterrence from the game that I've noticed.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.