ID:87563

BYOND Version:461
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.0.16

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Create an object with a ' or " character in its name, then place the object on a map file, and compile. DM will produce errors when attempting to read the mapfile, and cannot subsequently load it.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Copy and paste code provided into Dream Maker
2. Create a new map
3. Place a 'test"object"' on the map
4. Compile.
5. Make a new map.
6. Create a new 'test2object' instance
7. Edit its 'test"' variable
8. Place it on the map
9. Compile.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
obj
test\"object\"
test2
var/test\"

Expected Results:
Either ' and " characters should not be allowed in identifiers, or they should be escaped in some way in the map file, allowing the parser to read it.

Actual Results:
Quote marks are allowed in object names and variable names, and come out unscathed in the map file.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Variables are fine as long as they're not changed by any instances. Other than that, every time.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
It likely works in all versions of the Dream Maker IDE that supported maps.

Workarounds:
Don't use ' and " characters in identifiers.

Haven't checked, but similar problems might exist for the import/export text format for savefiles. Will likely test that soon.
In spite of the fact that DM is allowing such identifiers to compile, they aren't really proper identifiers. I agree the map editor should probably do what it can to avoid the problem via escapement, but the core problem is that you're venturing way off the beaten path. I can see some logic in using such "nonstandard" identifiers in a 4K or something when you're low on namespace, but it should be avoided in practice.
Yeah, it's definitely not a serious issue. Just thought it should be in the tracker after DivineTraveller pointed it out to me.