ID:87637

BYOND Version:460
Operating System:Linux
Web Browser:

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
DreamDownload does not work.
slothbox:~# DreamDownload byond://SilkGames.Proelium2##version=43
Connecting to byond://SilkGames.Proelium2##version=43
Download of Proelium II in progress...
Download finished.
slothbox:~# ls
unixbench-4.1.0-wht-2
slothbox:~# find . -name "*proelium*"
slothbox:~# find / -name "*proelium*"

slothbox:~# find . -name "*izard*"
slothbox:~# ls ./.byond/
cache/ cfg/   lib/
slothbox:~# ls ./.byond/
cache  cfg  lib
slothbox:~#

As you can see, despite a "Download finished." message, not only was the game not downloaded, but there isn't even a MyHub in the ~/.byond/ directory. No file with the name proelium or [Silk W]izard exists.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Try to use DreamDownload
2. Fail

Expected Results:
The game should be downloaded, or at the least give an error message.

Actual Results:
The game is not downloaded, but seems to be 'successful'.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Seems to happen a lot.

In other games?
Yes, for instance, Castle doesn't download either. I haven't tried other hubs, but I've had this problem on various Linux machines where the game does not download, or does not overwrite the old game, etc.

On other computers?
Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
I can't even tell you, it seems random sometimes.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
Download the file on Windows, open up C:\Wherever\the\heck\its\stored\on\windows\probably\about\th is\deep\though\MyHub\Author\Game, then zip the files, open an FTP client, upload them, unzip them, and run them.

I realize that the author is actually SilkGames, not SilkWizard, but nothing comes up in a search for SilkGames, Silk, etc either. Again, the MyHub directory does not even exist.
Very odd. That exact process works fine for me (on a debian system). It puts the files in the ~.byond/MyHub/... Are you sure you have write permissions to .byond/? I think we're going to have to generate a version with some debug output for you so we can see where it's getting hung up.
I'm running as root, so I should be able to do whatever I want- still, I tried to manually create the MyHub directory and chmod'd to 777, no luck. I am running on Debian 5 x64. Went so far as to create /MyHub/SilkGames/ProeliumII, but it's still not adding the files.

Also, this happens: http://imgur.com/v5BLi.png

After the "Download Finished." I get dumped back to the command line, but sort behind that I see "whatever.zip in progress... X%" but it does not go past that. If I wait, nothing happens. If I hit enter, I just get my empty command line.
I can confirm this for my server running BYOND 460.1052 And Ubuntu 8.(something, sorry I don't really know much about Linux stuff, including what OS I'm running...)
I have tested this on linux (ubuntu, debian) and freebsd 8, and haven't had any issues. We'll have to schedule a debug session.
In the meantime, can we please just get .zips on the hub? I'd prefer wget anyway so it doesn't have to be thrown in a hidden and buried directory.
So far, for me, DreamDownload doesn't work on CentOS 5.3 and Ubuntu 9.04. Gonna give debian and fedora a try now, hope it works on one of them as these 4 are the only OSs my VPS host provides me with.

EDIT: Installing Debian 5 atm, then gonna try Fedora 11. Will try earlier version of all these OSs later as a last resort.
For me DreamDownload doesn't work on CentOS, Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu. It claims that the download is finished but I know that it didn't as it takes way too less time then it is supposed to.
Taking less time than it's supposed to could indicate a problem with the URL you're downloading from, not the actual program. If for instance a hub entry has a bogus download URL (like one of those new file hosting sites that puts you through hoops before you can download), or if the download has been removed and replaced with a 404 page, you may simply be getting a tiny HTML file instead of a .zip like you're supposed to get. It'd help to know in these cases which hub entries are being downloaded. It's possible DreamDownload just isn't as good at reporting problems with these files as the pager is.
Lummox JR wrote:
Taking less time than it's supposed to could indicate a problem with the URL you're downloading from, not the actual program. If for instance a hub entry has a bogus download URL (like one of those new file hosting sites that puts you through hoops before you can download)...

The files for Proelium 2 are stored on the SilkGame's member site so it's not an issue with an external site.

Confirmed here as well. I have this same problem when using DreamDownload. I use Arch Linux, same results as described in this bug report.
Confirmed here as well. I can't find those files.