ID:886590

Keywords: copy, editor, glide, gliding, map, paste
Not a bug
BYOND Version:496
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 14.0.1
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
With Eternia I've set up a bare bones map editor, which just takes the code for map objects, and a basic environment to build a map with. To use those maps in our main map, we place the .dmm in main folder, and open it up in the DM map editor (from the main environment). Afterwards we simply copy/paste sections of the map from the new map into the old map. The issue is that mobs fail to glide when running the game (objs might fail to glide as well). Another issue which came up when attempting to resolve it, is that *sometimes* when I cut a section of the newly placed map, then compile, when I try to re-paste the section, the turfs/objs (from the pasted section) get severely jumbled up and it replaces some turfs/objs with other turfs/objs.

Files for both the map editor and Eternia have been pre-emptively sent to Lummox to look over. The Eternia map editor is simply for reference, the Eternia source carries the glitch.

Info to Reproduce Problem:
The bug only shows up sometimes, so I made sure to get a bugged copy sent, when you run the game, your player should already be failing to glide. To fix the gliding issue, you can simply edit the map (world.dmm) and lower the available Z levels, thus removing the newly added maps, and allowing gliding again. You can *try* to reproduce the second bug with the description given above, but it doesn't occur every time. The newly added sections are to the top right of the second Z level in the world.dmm map.

Expected Results:
Gliding to be unaffected by map issues, and when copy pasting, the correct objects should be placed.

Actual Results:
Gliding breaks when altering the map with another map file. Following certain steps, pasting a section of a map causes objects to get jumbled up.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Maybe 50% of the time? We can sometimes fix it for a while, but it soon breaks down again.
In other games?
Unknown
In other user accounts?
N/A
On other computers?
Yes, mine and WANO's.

When does the problem NOT occur?
There doesn't seem to be any specific reason when it'll occur.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Only 495 and 496 were testing, both are the same result.

Workarounds:
Sometimes when cutting, compiling, and pasting again, the mobs would glide again, but the second issue can occur when attempting that. For the pasting jumble issue, there's no work around, seeing as it occurs after compile and I can't undo/unsave.

Side Note:
I assumed the map editor would be able to handle the way I set up the bare bones Eternia editor, but the glitches could be a result of using it (map editor) improperly. A work around for the map editor would be great for future reference.
You have several objects in world.dmm with step_y=1; this is what's killing the glides. There's also one with step_y=0, though that's meaningless since that one won't affect gliding.

The problem is visible in a text editor.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
In response to Lummox JR
Oh... Guess that solves that issue... Though, still wondering about the secondary issue that came up, I'm also not sure why the step_y value was set at all, it's not set in the code, and I don't think WANO was creating map instances with a different step_y value. I suppose it's not particularly important, since it's easy to fix when I know what it is.

Anyways, thanks for figuring that out, I thought it was a Byond issue, but it has a dev solution.
In response to Megablaze
If you accidentally "Nudge" an object, it's applied to step_x/y. So that might be where it's coming from.